300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calfornia Alcoholic Beverage Control Investigator

Can anyone provide me more information regarding the California ABC Investigator position? Like dutys, work schedule, training, etc. Any information would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Capy829; 03-21-2011, 08:06 PM. Reason: Spelled title wrong

Well, first it's a State position and because of the budget problems in California many of the Investigators have been forced to take mandatory furlough days. You would start off as an Investigator I and attend a Special Academy(12 weeks I think) which is much shorter than a traditional Police Academy(18-28 weeks). They do alot of undercover work in nightclubs and liquor stores to make sure they are not selling alcohol to minors. If a business is selling to minors they will take their liquor license. They also team up with local LE agencies as well. You get a State vehicle and carry a firearm which is pretty cool and the pay is decent for a young person. I know they do more but that's about all I know. Hope that helps. Good luck

Comment

ABC used to send all their new Investigators to SIBC (Specialized Investigator basic course), at Golden West or Yuba College. This is a specialized POST 17 week program. It covered all the LD's that RBC did, other then EVOC, vehicle code and I believe 1 or 2 others. It was also a lot less stressful based on the fact there was no set pass or fail for physical fitness. SIBC has the same firearms and De-Tac qualifications as the RBC. ABC now sends all their Investigators to the RBC (Regular Basic Course) closest to the new hires office. We changed mostly because it costs a lot of money to send a new recruit to Huntington Beach and pay for their per-diem and hotel costs, when we could just send someone near their office. We also changed because all of our vehicles are now code-3, which needed all Investigators to have EVOC and vehicle stop training. The older Investigators who went to a SIBC had to complete a EVOC course at various PD's and Sheriff's dept.

ABC is a great job. The pay is not bad, basic rank and file Investigators top out @ $6200 a month, not including education or physical fitness pay, which for most areas of California is good pay. We are full Peace Officers under 830.2, same as CHP, DFG, etc. We are the only State Investigators under that code section, all other Investigators fall under 830.3. ABC Investigators can make arrests for any violations in the State.

We are down quite a bit of Investigators, but due to the current budget problems we are hiring very slowly.

Our main focus is related to ABC licensed premises, but we have Investigators assigned to various Narco task forces and ICE task forces. We focus a lot on undercover Narcotic buys in general, along with receiving stolen property, and prostitution. Of course we still have to deal with the Minors in licensed premises or the sales to a minor type cases, but we are moving toward dealing with more of the major problem locations.

Most Investigators work a 4/10 work week, either Tuesday - Friday or Wed - Saturday. Of course you have to be flexable, because a complaint may be for Sunday or Monday and you will need to flex your shift.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Originally posted by camelotskin View Post
      Well, first it's a State position and because of the budget problems in California many of the Investigators have been forced to take mandatory furlough days. You would start off as an Investigator I and attend a Special Academy(12 weeks I think) which is much shorter than a traditional Police Academy(18-28 weeks). They do alot of undercover work in nightclubs and liquor stores to make sure they are not selling alcohol to minors. If a business is selling to minors they will take their liquor license. They also team up with local LE agencies as well. You get a State vehicle and carry a firearm which is pretty cool and the pay is decent for a young person. I know they do more but that's about all I know. Hope that helps. Good luck
      Last edited by Mikeyg76; 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

If any of you ABC guys are working around Compton, I have a tip for you. Send me a PM and I will give you details.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5810 users online. 339 members and 5471 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X