Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reserves...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reserves...

    Does anyone know.... if im hired on as a reserve, finish fto and keep working, does that qualify me as a lateral if i were to apply for other depts.? thanks!

  • #2
    Depends on the department and your definition of "lateral."
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

    Comment


    • #3
      Most departments require an "active" status for a certain amount of time to be considered a lateral.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DAL View Post
        Depends on the department and your definition of "lateral."
        +100000......

        It does not with LASD at least.....even if you are a Level 1D reserve, you still get to go through the entire hiring process, academy, and FTO all over again.

        This policy may or may not change again.....it has been back and forth a couple of times since I started
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

        "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

        "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

        Comment


        • #5
          In the depts I've looked at since I plan on doing the modular academy with a reserve program on the side.....

          Once you become a full Level 1 reserve it depends on how the dept you're applying for defines "lateral".

          I've seen "POST Basic Academy Cert. Required OR at least 12 months of active duty on an approved LE"

          and I've also seen "At least 12 months of active duty with an approved LE" and that's all they said.

          I've also been told "Active Duty" can be defined different ways as well. I've been told that it could be either from day one as a Rookie and it can include your FTO program time OR the time to count as a lateral begins AFTER you finish your FTO program and sometimes even after your probation period.

          But I haven't seen any FTO program offered to reserves. I've only seen that for an officer hired on for the full position and career.
          Last edited by Apexer; 03-21-2011, 12:04 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Most agencies require their reserve officers to do FTO training with a full-time FTO officer. Being a reserve requires the same training and hiring standards as a full-time officer. Some agencies do not require the educational requirement for a reserve officer. From what I heard "way back when" CA POST did not consider Reserve training (Part-time module academy) the same as a full-time officer (Regular academy) but that has changed and it is the same training hours and learning domains as anyone who attends a full-time academy. Granted, some train more but they both have the same POST certificate.
            Last edited by Nawkternal; 03-21-2011, 12:59 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nawkternal View Post
              Most agencies require their reserve officers to do FTO training with a full-time FTO officer. Being a reserve requires the same training and hiring standards as a full-time officer. Some agencies do not require the educational requirement for a reserve officer. From what I heard "way back when" CA POST did not consider Reserve training (Part-time module academy) the same as a full-time officer (Regular academy) but that has changed and it is the same training hours and learning domains as anyone who attends a full-time academy. Granted, some train more but they both have the same POST certificate.
              Yeah POST just approved the modular or part-time academy for the POST Basic Cert. last year for the academy I plan on going to in my area. The only reason I plan on doing that is I can't quit my job to go to the full-time academy. I would like to get a sponsorship from an LEA but those are slim pickings right now.

              Comment


              • #8
                As a reserve, the most you can do is transfer as an academy trained/pre-employment applicant for a full time position Unless you transfer to another reserve position, then you COULD be considered a lateral. I don't think it's a POST mandate, but rather an expectation from both govn't HR and department guidelines.


                I didn't realize POST had JUST approved reserve modular training to count towards a POST Basic Academy Cert? I was under the impression Level 3 thru 1 was equivalent to a POST BAC.. at least since the early 2000's.
                Last edited by DCH; 03-21-2011, 01:14 PM.
                Timelines:

                CBPO
                App: 2/12/09
                Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                Written: 2/20/09
                NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

                IEA
                App: 5/5/09
                Geo: San Diego
                Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                NOR: 7/20/09
                Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                TO: 10/6/09
                Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

                BPA
                Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                App: 8/17/10
                Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

                Comment


                • #9
                  The module courses are very do-able. I go to work right after my academy class at night. Yeah, I don't get my afternoons but it will be worth it at the end. All of my fellow part-timers have full-time jobs and they attend the academy at night some are even attending law school. With the lack of entry level hiring a lot of the module classes are huge 50+ people. And with some departments in California they require you to have a POST cert. to even apply with them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DCH View Post
                    As a reserve, the most you can do is transfer as an academy trained/pre-employment applicant for a full time position Unless you transfer to another reserve position, then you COULD be considered a lateral. I don't think it's a POST mandate, but rather an expectation from both govn't HR and department guidelines.


                    I didn't realize POST had JUST approved reserve modular training to count towards a POST Basic Academy Cert? I was under the impression Level 3 thru 1 was equivalent to a POST BAC.. at least since the early 2000's.
                    Well the approval was for this one particular training center in my area. The mod academy has been around since the early 2000's like you said but the training center near me just picked it up last year.

                    Originally posted by Nawkternal View Post
                    The module courses are very do-able. I go to work right after my academy class at night. Yeah, I don't get my afternoons but it will be worth it at the end. All of my fellow part-timers have full-time jobs and they attend the academy at night some are even attending law school. With the lack of entry level hiring a lot of the module classes are huge 50+ people. And with some departments in California they require you to have a POST cert. to even apply with them.
                    Yeah that's the basic issue in my area. Departments here are looking for academy grads or laterals and the extremely RARE entry level position that pops up gets so saturated with applicants it's usually filled and spoken for within a month or two and they stop accepting applications. So, I really have no other choice than to be a Non-Affiliate and do the academy first. I'm looking forward to it. I plan on starting Jan. 2012 so I can train for the rest of this year and be ready for anything. I already have the cash saved up so it's just a matter of filling out the app when the time comes and getting fit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What academy, Apexer?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Apexer View Post
                        Yeah that's the basic issue in my area. Departments here are looking for academy grads or laterals and the extremely RARE entry level position that pops up gets so saturated with applicants it's usually filled and spoken for within a month or two and they stop accepting applications. So, I really have no other choice than to be a Non-Affiliate and do the academy first. I'm looking forward to it. I plan on starting Jan. 2012 so I can train for the rest of this year and be ready for anything. I already have the cash saved up so it's just a matter of filling out the app when the time comes and getting fit.
                        Level III does not PT, Level II prepares you for PT in Level I, Level I PT PT PT. And if you are attending South bay the workouts are similar to crossfit and you will run about 5-6 miles. Fitness should always be important and that is wise that you are starting now.

                        Some quick words of advice. Shoot the 9mm. Your always being watched. Memorize everything. Study, study, study and practice, practice, practice.

                        Well good luck with your endeavours! PM me if you have any questions.
                        Last edited by Nawkternal; 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          South Bay does not have PT in Level II but others academies might. It is not required by POST but they can add it in as their own academy course.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Nawkternal View Post
                            Level III does not PT, Level II prepares you for PT in Level I, Level I PT PT PT. And if you are attending South bay the workouts are similar to crossfit and you will run about 5-6 miles. Fitness should always be important and that is wise that you are starting now.

                            Some quick words of advice. Shoot the 9mm. Your always being watched. Memorize everything. Study, study, study and practice, practice, practice.

                            Well good luck with your endeavours! PM me if you have any questions.
                            Thanks for the info on that.

                            I actually own a 9mm and when i can afford the ammo I go to the range and get some shots in. I've looked into the crossfit workoutand I've had to modify some of the concepts since I live in an apartment complex. Running will be the hardest for me and that's pretty much what I'm going to do for the rest of the year. Running, running with a side of running. It's not a forte for me.

                            I will be in the COCO County Sheriffs Training Academy in the East Bay. They seem to have simliar PT to what you described and running is a huge part of the PT.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Brace yourself...I heard they are very intense!

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4834 users online. 303 members and 4531 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X