• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-SB Deputy Convicted

Former county deputy convicted of soliciting sexual favors
    Joe Nelson, Staff Writer
    Posted: 03/09/2011 04:34:43 PM PST

VICTORVILLE - A former San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy faces more than 20 years in prison for soliciting sexual favors from women while on duty.

A jury on Tuesday convicted Matthew Linderman, 33, of 15 of 24 counts, 12 of which were felonies, Deputy District Attorney Robert Brown said.

After more than three weeks of testimony at Linderman's trial, the jury deliberated for nine days before returning with Tuesday's verdict.

"I wore a trench in my office from pacing," Brown said.

Linderman returns to court April 6 for sentencing, and faces up to 20 years 6 months in prison, Brown said.

Linderman was accused of sexually abusing 11 women while on duty as a Victorville patrolman between May 2005 and July 2007. He would arrest them on suspicion of stealing merchandise from retail stores including the Victor Valley Mall, Target and Mervyns. As he drove them in his patrol car, he would solicit them for sexual favors in exchange for leniency, Brown said.

He said five of the victims gave similar accounts of Linderman's conduct.

"There was a consistent theme in the testimony where he (Linderman) would essentially ask them for a 'Girls Gone Wild' moment," Brown said. "Each one essentially described a scenario as him telling them he would do a favor for them if they did a favor for him."

Linderman's attorney, Michael Schwartz, couldn't be reached for comment.

In addition to the 12 felonies that include sexual battery by restraint and soliciting bribes, Linderman was also convicted of three misdemeanor counts of soliciting another to engage in lewd conduct, Brown said.

Linderman, who worked for Sheriff's Department from 1998 through 2007 and served as part of a two-man team in its Retail Theft Unit, was arrested in September 2007 following a personnel investigation triggered by a complaint. Findings from the investigation were turned over to the District Attorney's Office for review, and criminal charges were subsequently filed.

[/QUOTE]You know, I never understand these stories. We are supposed to be at least semi-intelligent, right? The obvious aside (that his behavior is despicable), how does such a moron become a cop? I don't mean to grade his ability to commit crimes properly, but come on.... he commits the same crime several times, even using the same "girls gone wild" phrase with several girls. This type of bumbling, ill conceived crime spree seems like something I would expect from a mall ninja...not a sworn Deputy
    "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

I met this guy about 6 months ago. He told me about the case and always maintained his innocence. He actually had an opportunity to take a plea and do 5 years but declined it saying that he never did anything and he wouldn't do time for crimes he didn't commit. He told me that it all came down to a couple of girls that he took a picture of when they flashed him (which he claimed was unsolicited).
      I have no idea if he was guilty or not, but have to admit that I was somewhat sorry to hear of the outcome of the trial. It seems like if you know that you are guilty, you would either take the plea or flee (as he wasn't actually incarcerated before the trial).

IE Copper - He actually made the same comment to me once. Something along the lines of he'd have to be an idiot to do what he was being accused of doing.
      Last edited by Marcus Antonius; 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM.

Comment

What a coincidence that he happened to have his camera ready as they flashed him unsolicited.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
          What a coincidence that he happened to have his camera ready as they flashed him unsolicited.
          Yeah, I've met a few cops who were railroaded by the system.

This doesn't seem to be one of those cases.

Comment

This guy reminds me of that scene in the movie The Bad Lieutenant, where Harvey Keitel stops the teenage girls and says "You do something for me and I'll do something for you". LOL. Then proceeds to beat his thing beside their car while one flashes her *** and the other simulates oral cop.LOL.

Some guys never learn. While getting flashed on duty is not unheard of, but under those circumstances it sounds fishy. Even if he is right and they were unsolicited, you gotta be very careful with that stuff especially these days. Filming those encounters was not the smart thing to do. There were a couple of incidents in LA were officers took photos of their "encounters" and it nearly did them in. Be smart out there guys all eyes are on us. As a guy it can be tempting with these women out their but it isn't worth your job or in this guys case your freedom.

Comment

Prison is full of innocent people.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
                Prison is full of innocent people.
                You hope cases like this one (link) are few and far between:

http://www.ocweekly.com/2008-03-13/news/csi-games/

Comment

Originally posted by 118inoc View Post
                  You hope cases like this one (link) are few and far between:

http://www.ocweekly.com/2008-03-13/news/csi-games/
                  Yeah I'm sure the cops knew all about him because he was already an upstanding citizen.

Comment

I'm not assuming guilt either way. But I do think it's funny that of the "...15 to 24 counts 12 or which are Felonies..." the investigation was "...triggered by a complaint." All of those women and only one person complained on the guy? I haven't solicited women on the job so I don't really know if this is a good ratio, but only one complaint?

Comment

Originally posted by TacSloth View Post
                      " the investigation was "...triggered by a complaint." All of those women and only one person complained on the guy? I haven't solicited women on the job so I don't really know if this is a good ratio, but only one complaint?
                      If there's any piece of "good news" in this story, that "one complaint" is it. How easy would it have been for someone along the chain of command (responding to this complainant) to have just dropped the ball? If the officer working the desk, the supervisor notified, the investigator who received the notification, or the managers that got involved decided to "kiss it off" either because they didn't believe the complainant or were afraid of the bad press, what then? While the situation does provide the agency with some bad press, overall the response of the organization and it's members is pretty impressive. Not only did they fully investigate the original complaint, they located the additional victims and obtained sufficient evidence needed to file criminally on a guy that needed filing on. A shoddy investigation certainly wouldn't have resulted in convictions.

Even if the case wasn't "kissed off", it could easily have resulted in a simple and quiet termination for the one incident. Those co-workers that did the right thing certainly earned accolades for their efforts, no matter how embarrassing the actions of this one guy were.
                      Last edited by pulicords; 03-12-2011, 02:07 PM.
                      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Today I heard that he was sentenced to 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Antonius View Post
                          Today I heard that he was sentenced to 20 years.
                          Seems a bit harsh, almost like this moron was offered up as an example to show the public that cops are held to higher standards. Unless I didn't get the full story, it seems like he never physically forced himself on anyone. He got woman to show their breasts to get out of arrests only? Nothing more? Murder raps rarely get that much time. This Deputy is a moron and disgrace, but a 20 sentence is simply way too much time.
                          "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
                            Seems a bit harsh, almost like this moron was offered up as an example to show the public that cops are held to higher standards. Unless I didn't get the full story, it seems like he never physically forced himself on anyone. He got woman to show their breasts to get out of arrests only? Nothing more? Murder raps rarely get that much time. This Deputy is a moron and disgrace, but a 20 sentence is simply way too much time.
                            That's pretty much what I thought. But since I was acquainted with him, I thought maybe that was coloring my perception... It just seems like he's getting burned because he was a deputy.

Comment

post deleted
                              Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6349 users online. 373 members and 5976 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X