X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFPD: 8 more cases tied to tainted unit dropped

Give me overtime fruad or fudged training records any day over this

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

Eight more cases were dropped Tuesday in the widening scandal surrounding plainclothes police officers, as San Francisco's public defender sought years of arrest reports involving members of the implicated unit.

Seven officers and a sergeant are being investigated in the scandal, involving what Public Defender Jeff Adachi calls "police, lies and videotape."

The allegations involve abuses of authority, some caught on videotape, in which officers appear to enter residential hotel rooms during narcotics investigations without warrants. The officers then allegedly made conflicting statements in police reports about the circumstances of the searches.

The officers, who work out of Southern Station, have been reassigned during the investigation.

Also on Tuesday, Adachi wrote a letter to former police chief and current District Attorney George Gascón demanding reports involving the officers dating back seven years.

"I'm very concerned that this misconduct goes beyond these cases and is an endemic problem," Adachi said.

The FBI is investigating the allegations, which could involve possibly hundreds of cases over several years, authorities say.

Meanwhile, Adachi's office said Tuesday that eight cases involving the same officers were dropped, adding to at least five others previously dropped. Prosecutors are expected to drop more than three dozen more cases.

"They are dropping any case involving these tainted officers, and it is a reflection of a complete absence of credibility by prosecutors - because they are the ones who are dismissing the case," Adachi said.

Among the scuttled cases Tuesday were two misdemeanor theft prosecutions stemming from an undercover robbery abatement detail in which the same seven officers and sergeant participated.

In the cases dropped earlier, the unit's officers make claims that are clearly disproved by recordings from hotel surveillance cameras in the Mission District and on Sixth Street downtown.

Interim Police Chief Jeff Godown said Tuesday that he has ordered that all the plainclothes details in the district stations receive "refresher training" on searches and police reports.

He said at least six months of arrest reports involving the eight officers are under review.

"I'm taking it very seriously," Godown said. "These officers are innocent until proven guilty. But in some cases, the video does not add up with the arrest reports. ... We're going to go back and look at all of them."

E-mail Jaxon Van Derbeken at [email protected].

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...BA671I6NEV.DTL

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

It's now up to 57 cases being dropped

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MN671I7EUB.DTL

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Don't believe everything you hear from those cop hating politicians. Adachi is the public pretender who hates cops. Gascan is a politician looking for another paycheck to build his resume. Gascan wants to win the november election by saying he came here and cleaned up the dept. He did the same in Mesa, AZ.

The media up here hates the cops too. Always looking for something to stir the pot.

The cop covered up the camera to prevent the front desk homeboy from giving his homies in the dirtbag hotel a heads up of the impending search, its for officer safety issue and to prevent the destruction of narcotics (flushing down the toilet). Also, cops don't want to get ambushed.

Comment

You also need to keep in mind, the majority of the fine occupants at the single room occupancy (SRO) "Henry Hotel" are on probation and/or parole. That location is full of scumbags in a high crime area. When it comes to cops, the media treats us as guilty until proven innocent. When it comes to a scumbag, the media refers to them as poor underprivileged folks who's been misunderstood and mistreated by the system.

It's San Francisco, one of the most liberal cities in the country. If you do any kind of enforcement, you will get bogus complaints files against you. Even the DA is against us.

Comment

You don't need a warrant to search a dirtbag on parole/probation. You don't need a warrant if you have probable cause to conduct a search incident to arrest. In an exigent circumstance, cops are allowed to enter a structure without a warrant. Let the facts speak for itself, innocent until proven guilty. The cops did nothing wrong. This BS destroyed whatever morale that was left, it will make cops think twice about doing anything proactive.

Comment

Originally posted by CA Cop View Post
            You don't need a warrant to search a dirtbag on parole/probation. You don't need a warrant if you have probable cause to conduct a search incident to arrest. In an exigent circumstance, cops are allowed to enter a structure without a warrant. Let the facts speak for itself, innocent until proven guilty. The cops did nothing wrong. This BS destroyed whatever morale that was left, it will make cops think twice about doing anything proactive.
            Innocent until proven guilty, it might be right, but the media did made it look like the SFPD made the wrong move, they clearly state there was no consent or warrant has been issue to go into the apartment and those 8 SFPD did lie on their report saying they did have the consent when clearly you see one of them push the door open. And for calling those parolee/probation dirtbag* isn't quite a good act as a police officer. So what they are parole or on probation, but they still have rights don't they? However, IF the parolee is on probation, they most likely don't need a warrant to give a search on them? If I remember correctly...
            Last edited by Nullz; 03-10-2011, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CA Cop View Post
              I agree. They seem like hard working guys like alot of teams I've been on. Hopefully everything works out for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nullz View Post
                Innocent until proven guilty, it might be right, but the media did made it look like the SFPD made the wrong move, they clearly state there was no consent or warrant has been issue to go into the apartment and those 8 SFPD did lie on their report saying they did have the consent when clearly you see one of them push the door open. And for calling them dirtbag for being on parolee/probation isn't quite a good act as a police officer. So what they are parole or on probation, but they still have rights don't they? However, IF the parolee is on probation, they most likely don't need a warrant to give a search on them? If I remember correctly...
                CA Cop didn't call them a dirtbag for being on parole or probation. He said you don't need a search warrant to search a dirtbag that is on parole/probation.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
                  CA Cop didn't call them a dirtbag for being on parole or probation. He said you don't need a search warrant to search a dirtbag that is on parole/probation.
                  I accidentally said it wrong, I meant calling those parolee dirt bags. As a regular person, in my point of view isn't that a little bit of discrimination right there? Yeah true they've done wrong things, but doesn't mean all of them are still dirt bags, some might learn their lesson and some might not. But I know some are hopeless, I don't even know why they keep doing it after one mistake and serving so many years in jail. Why would they still do these kind of things. But referring to what you said "you don't need a search warrant to search a dirt bag that is on parolee/probation" Yeah I'm with you on that, but what if that person was none of that? Was there any probable cause to lead them to this search? Sometime I feel that Cops look down on people who is or was a criminal, like even after they change, they will still be look down upon. I'm not trying to pick any fights here, I'm just pointing out what I want to say. If it offended any officers out there, I deeply apologize

Comment

CA Cop no doubt has a bit more inside info than any media outlet. Adachi is working the media because he wants to get elected. Gascon wants to remain DA and Godown wants to go from LA detective to COP. Adachi works for the Public Defenders office and managed to get cases dropped by presenting a skewed perception of the truth to the media. That saved his office a lot of hours in court.
                    It isn't like the officers were doing a panty raid...they went in for drugs, (either based on PC or Supervised Release condition) and they found drugs! At a POS SRO hotel. What a shock!
                    SFPD works under a microscope & the higher ups are anxious to throw them down any chance they get.
                    Innocent until proven guilty.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3458 users online. 204 members and 3254 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X