300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irvine PD - Digital Audio Recorder Policy

I heard from a friend that Irvine PD has implemented a digital audio recorder policy. Officers were issued digital recorders and are now required to record all contacts (detentions, report calls, etc).

Is this going to be the future in our profession? Does anyone foresee other agencies going to this in the near future?

It would not surprise me.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by OC LEO View Post
      I heard from a friend that Irvine PD has implemented a digital audio recorder policy. Officers were issued digital recorders and are now required to record all contacts (detentions, report calls, etc).

Is this going to be the future in our profession? Does anyone foresee other agencies going to this in the near future?
      Future? It has already been policy at various departments. Digital recorders are great, they can save you, bury you, and sometimes both at the same time

Comment

My station issues them but no requirement to use on all contacts. Even if it was required, what's the worst that can happen, your job gets saved? I personally bought a gopro camera for my motor. Had it for about a month now and has saved me from 2 complaints. Best money I've spent yet.
        God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

I think that the departments that require recordation generally do not require recording all citizen contacts.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Bully View Post
            My station issues them but no requirement to use on all contacts. Even if it was required, what's the worst that can happen, your job gets saved? I personally bought a gopro camera for my motor. Had it for about a month now and has saved me from 2 complaints. Best money I've spent yet.
            As long as you are perfect all the time you will be fine. That gopro is now admissible in court and "if" you happen to not have any footage of something that went bad you are going to have a tough time getting out of that one.

Comment

Don't make any contacts and you can't get in trouble. That's what the standard on my department is becoming. Just let the dang thing run all day long and record you singing to the FM radio as you hide behind (name random secret hiding spot here).

We can't afford recorders here anyways.

Comment

Definitely not new.. We've had a record all contacts policy for years... it's squashed several complaints from citizens and been used against arrestees in other situations.

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------double post.
                  Last edited by JC231; 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Does anyone foresee other agencies going to this in the near future?
                    As far as I know New Port Beach PD has implemented this policy for at least 5yrs. Probably not the identical technology/equipment. If I remember correctly, both the dashboard camera and voice recorder would activiate whenever patrol officers initiate the contact.. The footage would get saved onto the device in the trunk and they would be turned in at the end of shift and kept for a lot of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Bully View Post
                      I'm glad we don't have them. I really don't care about complaints. Worst that can happen is, they complain. I hear what you're saying, but no thanks.

Comment

sweet, so this policy has 2 faces. the good and the bad one. So it's so good when officers get not so true citizen complaints about them and the bad one is that you are so tie up that sometimes you have to stay so proffesional and watch what you say. It kinda limits you in what to do or you have to carefully choose what to say. good luck Irvine PD

Go wildcats!

Comment

Victorville has the same policy as well.
                          knowledge equals confidence

Comment

Seal Beach has a record EVERY contact policy

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6226 users online. 345 members and 5881 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X