Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD seeks felony charges against school police officer who faked shooting

March 3, 2011 | 1:21 pm

Los Angeles Police Department detectives have submitted to prosecutors their investigation into a school police officer whose shooting hoax set off a massive manhunt, Chief Charlie Beck said Thursday.

Jeff Stenroos, an officer with the Los Angeles Unified School Police Department, initially said he had been shot on Jan. 19 after confronting a man he caught trying to break into vehicles near El Camino Real High School in Woodland Hills.

The incident sparked a huge police response that brought much of the west San Fernando Valley to a standstill for hours. As hundreds of officers searched futilely for the gunman, area schools were locked down and residents were kept from leaving or going to their homes. The operation cost the cash-strapped department hundreds of thousands of dollars in overtime and other expenses, Beck said.

Police initially believed Stenroos' story because he suffered bruised ribs and there were indications that his bulletproof vest had absorbed the impact of a gunshot. But inconsistencies in the officer's story led LAPD investigators to grow suspicious. Sources said Stenroos started avoiding detectives as they attempted to conduct follow-up interviews.

When detectives finally caught up with Stenroos more than a week after the alleged shooting, he confessed to fabricating the story, according to LAPD officials with knowledge of the case. He was arrested on suspicion of filing a false police report, a felony offense.

Beck, who said he was "furious" about the hoax, and other city officials reacted with unusual vitriol toward a fellow law enforcement officer. It remains unclear how Stenroos fabricated the shooting and what, if anything, actually happened at the school. Beck has declined to detail what Stenroos has told investigators, because, he said, "I don't believe a word he says."

"We are very desirous of a felony filing," Beck said at news conference Thursday.

A decision by prosecutors in the Los Angeles County district attorney's office on whether to file criminal charges is not expected for several days.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...-shooting.html

Last edited by DAL; 03-04-2011, 10:09 AM.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

I still don't get what would compel someone to do that.

Comment

Have any rumors surfaced on what really happened?
      “Let him go, Lou. Someone driving that fast has no time for a ticket.”
      -Chief Wiggum

Comment

No felony was commited and the charge they are filing does not apply...they only have Misd. And I have no other comments...

Comment

He will never see a jail cell and probation for an otherwise lawfull person is not really a punishment. the issue will be trying to get back the costs of the investigation. I wonder if the felony count is so that they can get more than $1000.00 in restitution. I dont know what assets he has, his home is probably upside down and all he really owns is debt (Like the rest of us).

I am sure the LAUSD coppers are wishing this thing would go away. I know I would be if it was one of our guys (and frankly but for the grace of God it could have been).
          Originally posted by FJDave
          GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
          "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

One reason for the felony count is that LAPD wants to show that they take this seriously. Whatever monetary penalty is imposed will haunt him for life.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
              No felony was committed and the charge they are filing does not apply...they only have Misd. And I have no other comments...
              We will see. I doubt they would file obviously wrong charges. Your matter-of-fact statement leads me to believe that you are better qualified to make this determination than the L.A. District Attorney's Office. Are you?
              "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Why did he do this crap?

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                  Why did he do this crap?
                  He wanted to be a hero, and couldn't wait. He would have had his turn. He was young enough.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                  - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Glory, heroism.......ahhhh come on man!......
                    ok if I'm going to fake something, it's going to be an Orgasm.......not shooting myself......then having the calvary roll hard to assist me.......

Comment

Whats that syndrom called? Münchausen syndrome? I hate to put a disorder on stupidity but I think thats what its called. Where the firefighter starts the fire at the house, and then runs in to save the family so he can be a hero.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
                        We will see. I doubt they would file obviously wrong charges. Your matter-of-fact statement leads me to believe that you are better qualified to make this determination than the L.A. District Attorney's Office. Are you?
                        Since the charge they booked him on does not apply...118.1 PC

118.1. Every peace officer who files any report with the agency which employs him or her regarding the commission of any crime or any investigation of any crime, if he or she knowingly and intentionally makes any statement regarding any material matter in the report which the officer knows to be false, whether or not the statement is certified or otherwise expressly reported as true, is guilty of filing a false report punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for up to one year, or in the state prison for one, two, or three years. This section shall not apply to the contents of any statement which the peace officer attributes in the report to any other person

Can you think of any other felony he is guilty of??????? Unless they figured out another charge than the one they booked him for...So unless the DA is a moron they would find another charge....

Comment

I dont know what happened except that he didnt shoot himself...and thats from the det's on the case...

Comment

RHD has put together a strong felony case on this guy. Don't forget there were several injuries, although minor, to responding officers (climbing fences and going through shrubs during the search for the falsified gunman). Also, this one bad officer has started high level talks regarding LAPD taking over the school police. I doubt it will happen, but it is a shame that this guy has caused so many problems for his former fellow officers.
                            Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
                            Since the charge they booked him on does not apply...118.1 PC

118.1. Every peace officer who files any report with the agency which employs him or her regarding the commission of any crime or any investigation of any crime, if he or she knowingly and intentionally makes any statement regarding any material matter in the report which the officer knows to be false, whether or not the statement is certified or otherwise expressly reported as true, is guilty of filing a false report punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for up to one year, or in the state prison for one, two, or three years. This section shall not apply to the contents of any statement which the peace officer attributes in the report to any other person

Can you think of any other felony he is guilty of??????? Unless they figured out another charge than the one they booked him for...So unless the DA is a moron they would find another charge....

Comment

Originally posted by RWC View Post
                              RHD has put together a strong felony case on this guy. Don't forget there were several injuries, although minor, to responding officers (climbing fences and going through shrubs during the search for the falsified gunman). Also, this one bad officer has started high level talks regarding LAPD taking over the school police. I doubt it will happen, but it is a shame that this guy has caused so many problems for his former fellow officers.
                              lapd higher ups thinks they want us but when they realize again that there will be no money from the district they will go away again. But for some reason our new chief would like that...hope lasd will take me

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5775 users online. 339 members and 5436 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X