Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Upholds California's Affirmative Action Ban

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n7132195.shtml

(AP) SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal judge on Wednesday dismissed a lawsuit challenging California's voter-approved ban on affirmative action in public university admissions.

U.S. District Judge Samuel Conti ruled against the challenge to Proposition 209, which barred racial, ethnic or gender preferences in public education, employment and contracting.

The plaintiffs argued that the law violated the civil rights of black, Latino and Native American students whose numbers have been reduced at the University of California's most prestigious campuses, particularly UCLA and UC Berkeley, since the ban passed in 1996.

According to the lawsuit, black, Latino and Native American students make up about one-quarter of the freshmen enrolled at UC's nine undergraduate campuses even though they comprise nearly half of all public high school graduates.

But the judge sided with Ward Connelly and other affirmative-action opponents who sought the lawsuit's dismissal. In his ruling, Conti said the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals already rejected a similar legal challenge to California's affirmative-action ban.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Summary- You wont get into a CSU just because you are a minority!

This is good. Students should be admitted to good schools based on merit, not the color of their skin. Police departments like LAPD have shown how out of control reverse racism can get. A white male is almost guaranteed to get DQed at LAPD. Thank God this the court decided to keep reverse racism out of our Universities. When this affirmative action ban came about in 1996 I was very proud of the 9th circuit. The only time I have ever been proud of them...
    "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
      Police departments like LAPD have shown how out of control reverse racism can get. A white male is almost guaranteed to get DQed at LAPD. Thank God this the court decided to keep reverse racism out of our Universities.
      I'm a bit confused. Can you please tell me more about "reverse racism"? How exactly do racist policies that harm one group (whites) differ from those that harm another (blacks, latinos, etc...)? The term "reverse racism" seems to imply that racists (all whites?) are now being discriminated against.
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
        I'm a bit confused. Can you please tell me more about "reverse racism"? How exactly do racist policies that harm one group (whites) differ from those that harm another (blacks, latinos, etc...)? The term "reverse racism" seems to imply that racists (all whites?) are now being discriminated against.
        Are you kidding? It's a pretty simple concept, and probably most obvious in law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
          As JeffMerr stated, it's a pretty simple concept. I'm not going to explain reverse racism to you. Reverse discrimination is the nice way to say it, but why flower up what it is with nicer words? Google it if you really don't understand it.
          "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Huh, how about that, Asians weren't a party to the lawsuit.

Must be kind of inconvenient when you're complaining about racism to be reminded that Asians easily outperform whites when it comes to things like income and education.

Comment

Originally posted by zr5667 View Post

Must be kind of inconvenient when you're complaining about racism to be reminded that Asians easily outperform whites when it comes to things like income and education.
              Wow, you must be asian. Could you generalize any more? Please do, as you contradict your own statement. You must not be one of those asians who you claim "outperform whites" in education.

Comment

Huh? Asians "easily outperform" whites when it comes to income and education? Out does one "outperform" another in income and education? You can outperform someone in a race, a test of wills or maybe an arm wrestling match. Education and income aren't performances. That would be like saying that whites "outperform" asians in growing.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
                  Huh? Asians "easily outperform" whites when it comes to income and education? Out does one "outperform" another in income and education? You can outperform someone in a race, a test of wills or maybe an arm wrestling match. Education and income aren't performances. That would be like saying that whites "outperform" asians in growing.
                  When Asians perform the act of working, or learning, they do it better than whites.

There ya go, teach.

Comment

When Asians perform the act of working, or learning, they do it better than whites.

There ya go, teach.
                    Wow, good job at hiding your bigotry. Why not let us know how you really feel?

You see, most of us mature people don't lower ourselves to claiming racial superiority. Everyone has bias and many people subscribe to certain stereotypes, but we don't openly profess our racial superiority. This is the sign of a bigot.

I am curious; what does your moronic ramblings about Asian superiority have to do with this thread anyway? I thought I had heard it all, until now. Everyone laughs at the stupidity of WannaBeCop when he comes here with his claims that Black cops are treated unfairly, but at least he is respectful enough to refrain from expressing the superiority of his race.

Comment

I'm white, and I wasn't professing any Asian superiority. My point was pretty simple, and you simply didn't understand it.

The point is that Asians do fine without AA, so the accusation made by the plaintiffs that the civil rights of minorities are violated because they can't get into college without AA is baseless; because clearly that is not what results in low representation of some minorities in college.

I illustrated that point by stating that if AA was necessary to achieve equality, then why do Asians (a historically mistreated minority) outperform the majority (whites) that supposedly benefit from the lack of AA?

Anyway, please do proceed with the insults, apparently that's what "mature" people like you do when you don't understand something.

Comment

I'm white, and I wasn't professing any Asian superiority. My point was pretty simple, and you simply didn't understand it.

The point is that Asians do fine without AA, so the accusation made by the plaintiffs that the civil rights of minorities are violated because they can't get into college without AA is baseless; because clearly that is not what results in low representation of some minorities in college.

I illustrated that point by stating that if AA was necessary to achieve equality, then why do Asians (a historically mistreated minority) outperform the majority (whites) that supposedly benefit from the lack of AA?

Anyway, please do proceed with the insults, apparently that's what "mature" people like you do when you don't understand something.
                        Talking from both ends of your body is bad for you.

Comment

It's okay, you clearly have an air of hubris around you ("most of us mature people"), which will inevitably make you reluctant to admit when you are wrong.

I won't be expecting a mea culpa from you anytime soon. Living in the I.E is punishment enough, wouldn't you say?

Comment

http://www.asianweek.com/2010/10/06/...-the-2010-sat/

http://www.maricopa.edu/studentaffai...he_Factors.pdf
                            Last edited by Reservetobe; 12-10-2010, 02:10 AM.

Comment

The terms reverse racism were created in order to downplay the bigotry against whites. Furthermore solidifying the notion of, "It's okay to be racist against white people, they're just getting back what they have ALL done." That is the TRUE concept of the words "reverse racism." However, there really is no such thing as "reverse racism," it is plain and simple RACISM!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8485 users online. 215 members and 8270 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X