Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwarzenegger calls again for welfare elimination, more cutbacks

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-mew-s...wed+Stories%29

Declaring the state's finances in a state of emergency, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday called for deep cutbacks in state spending in a special legislative session, proposing again the elimination of the state's welfare program.

The governor also proposed to eliminate state-supported child-care programs, to cut cash grants to the elderly and disabled, and to end vision coverage for children receiving state-subsidized healthcare.

The state faces an estimated $25.4-billion deficit over the next year and half, according to the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst's Office. Schwarzenegger proposed $7.4 billion in spending cuts on Monday.

"The longer we wait, the harder it will get," Schwarzenegger said at an afternoon news conference.

He also revived two controversial highway proposals: to install automated cameras to ticket speeding drivers and to convert state-owned road signs that alert drivers when children are abducted into flashing electronic billboards.

Democrats, who have a majority in the Legislature, were quick to dismiss the package. Democrats seemed more than willing to wait until the GOP governor would be replaced by Democrat Jerry Brown in January.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

I'm with him all the way on cutting welfare, and 100% against radar cameras. The only purpose those have is to generate revenue. After spending months and months as a traffic court bailiff, I firmly believe that the top priority of the California traffic court system is to make money for the state. I realize that most of the officers are writing tickets for safety (or what they have been led to believe all their lives is safety - speeding on the freeway really isn't unsafe for the most part). The courts, however, have other ideas. There is a 250% tax on traffic fines called a penalty assessment, and then there are other fees tacked on top of that. It turns a $50 fine into $175 or more. If more officers knew how much the fines are, I don't think that they would be writing as many cites, because the penalties have become unjust.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I've never been real enthusiastic about writing tickets unless the violation creates a hazard.

I really wonder what Gov. Moonbeam will do.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
        I've never been real enthusiastic about writing tickets unless the violation creates a hazard.

I really wonder what Gov. Moonbeam will do.
        Its going to be interesting.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8638 users online. 476 members and 8162 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X