300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bay Regional Modular Courses

I have a question about taking these "part-time" modular classes at evergreen. Has any student who has taken these courses have gotten offers or hired on full-time to work at police departments around California? The descriptions on the website says it is for an aspiring reserve officer but, I want to become a full-time police officer. I need to have a job on the side to pay for bills and I want to go full-time in the academy but I have no idea if anyone has tried to work a part-time job and go to the academy at the same time.

From the academy website, it looks like the modular academy is for Reserve Level I. It is only 536 hours, and the regular academy is 880 hours of training. No way will any California academy for fulltime peace officers be only 536 hours anymore.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Doing all three modules = the same academy credential as a full time academy.

The level 3 module is 164 hours, upon completion level 2 can be taken
      The level 2 module is 260 hours, upon completion level 1 can be taken.
      The level 1 module is 536 hours, upon completion it’s the same as a regular academy.

For a total of 960 hours of training.

I’ve never actually seen anyone hire for level 3 reserve. Most reserves are level 2, and I suspect most level 1 reserves are retired or simply waiting for their chance to get hired full time.

In retrospect I wish I had done a modular academy verses sticking my neck out and going to a full time academy.

The upside of a modular academy is if you fail out of the later stages you don’t have to start all over. I didn’t fail, but when your classmates are washing out at week 20 it gets your attention.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
      - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by Nawkternal View Post
        I have a question about taking these "part-time" modular classes at evergreen. Has any student who has taken these courses have gotten offers or hired on full-time to work at police departments around California? The descriptions on the website says it is for an aspiring reserve officer but, I want to become a full-time police officer. I need to have a job on the side to pay for bills and I want to go full-time in the academy but I have no idea if anyone has tried to work a part-time job and go to the academy at the same time.
        That academy will fullfill the basic course to be hired full time. I know many that have been hired full time with the extended and modular academies.

The term reserve academy is really defunct and should never be used. POST changed the requirements back in 1999, I believe. In order to attend a level 1 you must have already completed level 3 and 2, and once all 3 blocks have been completed, that is considered a basic course of instruction for full time or Level 1 reserve.

Most people that attend those courses want to go full time and not just remain a reserve.
        Last edited by Reservetobe; 12-06-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Does any agency take Level I reserves anymore? Who has the resources and time to get a reserve through the full field training program, and which reserves have the time to work enough days a week to retain the skills and knowledge to where they can pass checkout? With typical reserves being able to work once a week at best, it would take a good 16 months or so to get to where they could be signed off to go solo.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
            Does any agency take Level I reserves anymore? Who has the resources and time to get a reserve through the full field training program, and which reserves have the time to work enough days a week to retain the skills and knowledge to where they can pass checkout? With typical reserves being able to work once a week at best, it would take a good 16 months or so to get to where they could be signed off to go solo.
            All the agencies in So Cal do. Most agencies only want level 1's. I'm a new level 1 and off training.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
              It’s cheaper than paying them, and allows an agency to be very particular with the candidates. Then they can hold the level 1’s out there just waiting for the time to hire them on when positions open.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
              - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

i just finished the fulltime at evergreen and give a glowing rec to the staff there...TO rooney is by far one of the best teachers and men ive had the pleasure of working with

Comment

There are quite a few Bay Area agencies who will hire a Level I reserve then look at them when they are able to hire full time. (Unless you screw up while a reserve.) San Jose PD is looking at possibly doing this also. You might not ride solo like the average Level I, but you already have your foot in the door.

Comment

Thank you for everyone's quick and informative responses! It makes this hopeful excited and determined!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10263 users online. 375 members and 9888 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X