Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad timing? or Good Idea?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bad timing? or Good Idea?

    Well I know this question has been answered by other threads, some are dated some are more recent.

    Anyways, I'm looking into self-sponsoring through Miramar's Police Academy (Full Time). Giving the current conditions of quite a few agencies here in San Diego, Do you guys recommend this as an option?

    I was recently dq'ed by S.O for a minor dis qualifier, and was told to come back in one year.

    I know right now at the moment with current and future layoffs there is going to be quite a few qualified candidates out there. Rather then sit around and wait for things to happen, or get better.

    I figured put my self through an academy and make my self slightly more marketable compared to someone with out a Basic POST.

    No degree, only some schooling in C.J, some POST certificates.

    Any advice?




    Also if you guys can please take a look at

    www.justice4ken.com (*SDSO Deputy Ken Collier*)

  • #2
    FYI you dont get a POST Basic Cert for completing an academy. You have complete a probationary period with an agency.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you don't have any military background, I would highly suggest completing a college degree- 4yr, graduate, etc..
      Heck, finish a degree in something EVEN IF you have military- you'll need every advantage you can get fighting for an LE spot these days.
      Timelines:

      CBPO
      App: 2/12/09
      Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
      Written: 2/20/09
      NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
      TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

      IEA
      App: 5/5/09
      Geo: San Diego
      Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
      NOR: 7/20/09
      Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
      TO: 10/6/09
      Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
      Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

      BPA
      Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
      App: 8/17/10
      Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
      TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

      Comment


      • #4
        just FYi...more and more agencies are normally looking to hire either recruit because it comes from a grant and usually only lasts 3 years...or lateral because of their training and experience

        at this point, it is extremely hard to hire on as a pre-service because of all the pre-service graduates who have yet to get hired and the fact that funding for this is very low as well

        Like what others have said, if you haven't gotten a degree, get one or may be even join the military reserves

        Good Luck!

        -DeL

        Comment


        • #5
          If you want to work in San Diego County, go get a degree and wait for the economy to shape up. And join the military reserves. After the last hiring freeze about 10 years ago the people we hired had insanely good background and experience. And now there are laterals.

          If you can work anywhere like Imperial County or the Central Valley, then maybe....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Operator34 View Post
            FYI you dont get a POST Basic Cert for completing an academy. You have complete a probationary period with an agency.
            Your right, I was referring to being an academy graduate..
            Thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Daytona675LASD View Post
              just FYi...more and more agencies are normally looking to hire either recruit because it comes from a grant and usually only lasts 3 years...or lateral because of their training and experience

              at this point, it is extremely hard to hire on as a pre-service because of all the pre-service graduates who have yet to get hired and the fact that funding for this is very low as well



              Like what others have said, if you haven't gotten a degree, get one or may be even join the military reserves

              Good Luck!

              -DeL
              You kinda confused me lol, So are you saying they are looking to hire recruits, Are you referring to recruits as academy graduates, Or are you referring to recruits as with no academy or military?.Its hard to hire on Pre-service military ?

              Comment


              • #8
                So another question, Since I'm weighing your guy's advice pretty heavily on my future plans. Are you guys saying that at this point just being an academy graduate with no degree, no military experience it wouldn't help in getting hired at this moment?.

                I was planning on quitting my job to attend the next Miramar academy which starts Jan 24th. So just being an academy graduate doesn't up the chances of getting picked up?..

                Comment


                • #9
                  I asked one of the guys who is one of our last hires how many self sponsored recruits they had in his class at Miramar... he said almost a dozen. I asked him if any got hired.... and he said no. But you could become a reserve and then try and get hired.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think its a waste of money in this economy. Things are real bad and are going to get worse.
                    Last edited by SHU; 12-06-2010, 06:48 PM. Reason: k

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
                      I asked one of the guys who is one of our last hires how many self sponsored recruits they had in his class at Miramar... he said almost a dozen. I asked him if any got hired.... and he said no. But you could become a reserve and then try and get hired.
                      Yeah, Theres probably more than a handful of guys at work that went the self sponsored route and didn't get picked up, and some are reserve military.

                      I wouldn't mind going the reserve route. That's an option.

                      What do you think weighs more when going through backgrounds military experience or a degree say in Criminal Justice or Public Administration?.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not just successfully graduating the academy, but excelling in it - will give you better odds of getting hired. Only the best open enrolees get hired, especially during these times. If you have anything in your background that got you non-selected, getting through the academy will usually not make us overlook that. Going that route is best for people who are just not-competitive applicants - not that have anything disqualifying. Not knowing what it is that disqualified you, it's hard for me to say whether this is a good choice for you.

                        How much time left to get your degree? Go back and get at least a 2 year degree in C/J or something else good for police work. The military reserve would also be good for your application.

                        Hiring is very tough right now, and going open enrolee is a huge sacrifice financially. I wouldnt think it is a good bet right now.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CATRSD View Post
                          So another question, Since I'm weighing your guy's advice pretty heavily on my future plans. Are you guys saying that at this point just being an academy graduate with no degree, no military experience it wouldn't help in getting hired at this moment?.

                          I was planning on quitting my job to attend the next Miramar academy which starts Jan 24th. So just being an academy graduate doesn't up the chances of getting picked up?..
                          Being an academy graduate does not make you more marketable. The higher marketable individual is one who has life experience, education and military background. Prior service or laterals are the highest preferred individuals. Being an academy graduate without field experience is of no immediate value beyond the fact that the agency does not have to foot the dollar for educating an individual.

                          One major issue I can see is your writing ability. I would strongly suggest that you take a course or two in English. Not knowing your age or experience makes it difficult to evaluate your potential, but I can recommend, as others have stated, that you gain military experience and advance your education toward as degree.
                          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

                          [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 4226 users online. 183 members and 4043 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X