Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
    Who is Gloria Romero? Just wondering...
    California state senator who represents East LA and much of the San Gabriel Valley. Very liberal.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Ah....thanks Dal. Being an OC resident I'm at a loss for some of the "finer" elected officials.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Smurfette
      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
      Originally posted by DAL
      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
        Correction: all of Vernon's residents either work for the city or live in housing owned by the city.

I don't think cities exist for the benefit of their employees, although that certainly appears to be the philosophy of the government employee unions.

One fact about Vernon that should embarrass politicians is that Vernon's businesses pay more in taxes than they impose in costs. In other words, Vernon shows that businesses pay more than their "fair share" of taxes.

Perhaps I should get together with some of my relatives and buy a few square miles of unincorporated land. In one part, we could build housing only for older people and leave the rest vacant. Then we could incorporate, zone everything else commercial, and prohibit rezoning. Then we could bring in lots of businesses (preferably ones that did not degrade the quality of life), and let them pay the taxes. We could even have no municipal taxes and subsidized utilities for residents. We might even have a sales-tax give back for purchases made in our city. Sounds good to me.
        And what exactly is wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
          Who is Gloria Romero? Just wondering...
          My bad! Mixed up two similar Glorias. Meant to say Gloria Molina.

The point I'm trying to make: Vernon might be an extreme, but it certainly isn't the only city with a small population of residents that does very well based upon an extremely large business community. If I remember correctly the cities such as El Segundo and Signal Hill also have very small numbers of residents, in proportion to their commercials areas. Should they be disbanded because more people work there than live there? (Again: Sure would help line the county's pockets, at the expense of the locals.)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the fact that cities derive such a large percentage of their revenue from businesses. If businesses didn't like the environment provided, I'm sure they would have moved to other locales long ago. Besides the commercial tax base, where else is the money going to come from other than property taxes on residents?
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

While the businesses do pay a majority of the tax base the city also makes a friendly enviroment for them to work there. As a result the city prospers and everyone else whines, maybe the state and county should actually study them to get it right. Gee imagine that businesses make money not just for themselves but feed the taxbase and put people to work, what a novel idea............................
            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

I think there are some fundamental issues about what a city is, what purposes it serves, and who should have a say in how it is governed. For example, why aren't land owners, who pay most of the taxes, allowed to vote in the city unless they live there? Could a city own all the property within its city limits?
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                I think there are some fundamental issues about what a city is, what purposes it serves, and who should have a say in how it is governed.
                I think it's pretty obvious to those who live in such jurisdictions, that they're looking for quality and quantity of service, not being provided by the larger state or county governments. The larger the political entity, the less responsive it is to those that depend on it. Smaller governments are more responsive to those that they serve and are much more likely to change as needed. Larger organizations offer less personalized service, become more autocratic, and resist change because the individuals within the organization are less accountable. This explains not only why many communities prefer to incorporate, but why policing in the United States is so different than in most European countries. Having only large state or federal police organizations would be totally unacceptable to most U.S. citizens.

When I was working in a small town (about 20,000 residents) in the early 1980's, one of the local officers was killed in the line of duty. It wasn't just the cops from that department (and of course others) that went to the funeral, a very large percentage of the residents attended, along with most of the business community. They took the incident very personally, because the officer was well known personally by those he'd served. Most of the retail establishments closed so employees could attend the services.

It was humbling to see how heartfelt the reaction was. I recall being told by an LAPD officer, that he'd never seen anything like it and that (usually) when one of their officers was lost, most city council members were too busy to attend the services.
                Last edited by pulicords; 12-09-2010, 10:57 AM.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I don't think there is an issue at all. The city was allowed to incorporate in this manner as were a number of others including in "City of Industry" which really says it all (look on a map how that city is laid out it basically follows a long rail line gobbling up all the industrial revenue it can). They are cities, they were allowed to incorporate as such and the laws dictate that residents only are allowed to vote. What does it come down to, THE LAW, come on DAL you're the attorney. If people don't like it than they should vote to change it, but these cities should not be punished for having good business sense.
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7665 users online. 271 members and 7394 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X