300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will happen with Vernon??

Read the following article about Vernon in the LA Times and just curious what everyone thought. What will happen with Vernon PD? How can an disincorporated city have a PD? Will county fire and the Sheriff dept get bigger??

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7432952.story
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
    Read the following article about Vernon in the LA Times and just curious what everyone thought. What will happen with Vernon PD? How can an disincorporated city have a PD? Will county fire and the Sheriff dept get bigger??

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7432952.story
    It would just be all County services. No big deal. That RD is pretty small. Vernon PD would have to apply with LASD if they wanted to. It probably wont happen though.

Comment

Vernon also could be merged into a neighboring city, such as Los Angeles or Commerce.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Vernon has a HUGE tax base with all that commerce. Any bordering city would be chomping at the bit to get Vernon annexed. Which is why (it seems to me, anyway) that a Los Angeles Democrat is looking to dissolve the city....there is a LOT going on with that new article, starting with the Los Angeles Times part. But it seems like a power grab, something that would happen in the USSR. the city has money, we don't like the way that city is being run (even though we are not even remotely connected in any way to that city), do let's get rid of it and make it part of our power base. Yeah.
        Last edited by FJDave; 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Smurfette
        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
        Originally posted by DAL
        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

That city always seemed a little suspicious to me...

91 residents (pretty much all city employees or families), and over 50,000 people who work at the businesses located there. Like Bell, some of these government employees were making lots of money (one made over 1,000,000).

Also, the former mayor, his wife, and his son were already convicted of voter fraud (son got nabbed for child molestation, too).

So...

Originally posted by wikipedia
          On November 15, 2006, the investigation into public corruption charges in Vernon resulted in charges being filed against the city’s mayor, Leonis Malburg, as well as his wife, his son, and the former city administrator. The Los Angeles District Attorney’s office had launched an investigation in April 2005 following allegations that the city’s former administrator, Bruce Malkenhorst Sr., had misappropriated public funds for personal use.

Their investigation uncovered evidence of voter fraud, ironically, against the ruling family who tried to keep out new residents. Leonis Malburg, who has been mayor for 50 years, claimed he lived in a small Vernon apartment in the 2800 block of Leonis Boulevard (named after his grandfather, also a mayor), when in fact he was living in Hancock Park, Los Angeles. His wife and son also claimed to live in Vernon, voting in Vernon elections though evidence indicated they too lived in Hancock Park. Charges against the Malburgs include voter fraud, assisting unqualified voters, false registration, and perjury.

Bruce Malkenhorst is charged with 18 counts of "misappropriation of public funds" for reportedly taking $60,000 of city money for personal use. His salary from the city had been $600,000. Malkenhorst is still collecting his pension of $499,674.84.[21] In 2010, Malkenhorst received a reported $510,000 annual salary as city administrator; plus health benefits, [22] and is the number one person of the 9,111 retired California government workers receiving the highest pensions in excess of $100,000 from CalPERS.
          Last edited by zr5667; 12-05-2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
            Vernon has a HUGE tax base with all that commerce. Any bordering city would be chomping at the bit to get Vernon annexed. Which is why (it seems to me, anyway) that a Los Angeles Democrat is looking to dissolve the city....there is a LOT going on with that new article, starting with the Los Angeles Times part. But it seems like a power grab, something that would happen in the USSR. the city has money, we don't like the way that city is being run (even though we are not even remotely connected in any way to that city), do let's get rid of it and make it part of our power base. Yeah.
            Now dave you havent drunk your daily dose of green cool aid this morning. Remember your new mantra.

The county would do a much better job of policing the city and we are eager to get to work.

So what about Irwindale?

Or Universal studios, didnt they incorporate for tax reasons too?
            Originally posted by FJDave
            GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
            "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

Like I said before...its ALL about the $$$...

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
                Now dave you havent drunk your daily dose of green cool aid this morning. Remember your new mantra.

The county would do a much better job of policing the city and we are eager to get to work.

So what about Irwindale?

Universal City is unincorportated County area, which is why it is patrolled by LASD.

Comment

Vernon really does not fit the mold of a traditional city. People cannot move in or out of Vernon and cannot build houses there. Vernon exists exclusively for businesses and the family that founded it.

Perhaps the most equitable result is simply to dissolve the city and have it be unincorporated, so that its tax base benefits all residents of the county.

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post

So what about Irwindale?

We have a sub-station at Universal Studios....lol
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by DAL

Comment

Once upon a time I had relatives who lived there.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackavar
                        Perhaps. But if that is why the city was incorporated and it was allowed to incorporate...who cares how many people live there, who makes how much money, etc... I mean if all 91 people like having their govt get paid lots of money who cares?
                        All the residents are city employees. I don't know why it was allowed to incorporate.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                          Perhaps the most equitable result is simply to dissolve the city and have it be unincorporated, so that its tax base benefits all residents of the county.
                          Works out pretty good for a county with severe budget problems of it's own, doesn't it?????

While some of the city's residents may be city employees, the article doesn't state that all the city employees are city residents. "All of Vernon's voters live in city-owned housing for which they pay below-market rent. Many of the residents are city workers and family members of top officials, according to records reviewed by The Times. The city sought to evict three men who moved there in 2006 and mounted a bid for election to the City Council."

A few years ago, I met a member of Vernon PD. He didn't appear to be any different than any other LEO that I can recall. Why should he and every other public employee be terminated to help fatten up the county coffers? Vernon PD was one of the first agencies that required new officers to sign a contract that prohibited them from lateraling to another department within "X" number of years, or be forced to repay the city for training costs. Regardless of what one thinks about the city, it seems pretty obvious that officers who applied to that department were pretty much from the same "cut of cloth" as those who applied to be LASD deputies or as officers for other agencies.

Before we so quickly disband an agency (or city) and send all that tax revenue to the County of Los Angeles, maybe we should look a bit more closely at who's making these suggestions and what's in it for them? Within the last couple of weeks, a Los Angeles County Fire Department chief committed suicide in Ventura County. His assignment was overseeing contracts providing for the construction of new fire stations in the Santa Clarita area. It's been reported in the local paper that at the time of his death, the decedent been under investigation for "irregularities" involved with those multimillion dollar contracts. The "chief" was a non-firefighter (civilian) executive appointed by the county for the sole purpose of managing these construction projects.

Last Saturday it was reported, the County of Los Angeles spokesman stated that the results of that investigation might "never be released" because of personnel confidentiality rules. L.A. County Fire was the employing agency, it appears that LASD would be responsible for investigating any criminal wrongdoing, and (obviously) the funds are being provided by Los Angeles County taxpayers. Before the L.A. County Board of Supervisors (ie: Gloria Romero, et al) start demanding that cities disband due to alleged financial malfeasance, maybe they'd better make sure their own house is in order?

http://www.the-signal.com/section/36/article/36927/
                          Last edited by pulicords; 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM.
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Who is Gloria Romero? Just wondering...
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by DAL

Comment

Correction: all of Vernon's residents either work for the city or live in housing owned by the city.

I don't think cities exist for the benefit of their employees, although that certainly appears to be the philosophy of the government employee unions.

One fact about Vernon that should embarrass politicians is that Vernon's businesses pay more in taxes than they impose in costs. In other words, Vernon shows that businesses pay more than their "fair share" of taxes.

Perhaps I should get together with some of my relatives and buy a few square miles of unincorporated land. In one part, we could build housing only for older people and leave the rest vacant. Then we could incorporate, zone everything else commercial, and prohibit rezoning. Then we could bring in lots of businesses (preferably ones that did not degrade the quality of life), and let them pay the taxes. We could even have no municipal taxes and subsidized utilities for residents. We might even have a sales-tax give back for purchases made in our city. Sounds good to me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8065 users online. 426 members and 7639 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X