300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selective service help

Has anyone, or does anyone know someone who has been hired without a selective service number?

I registered on my 18th birthday but the SS does not have any record of my doing so. I was DQ'd from a department for that reason only.

I have talked to someone at POST and was told that it is not a requirement by them to be hired.

I am past the age of 26 and can no longer register.
    I have done research on this, and have submitted all neccessary paperwork to the SS already.

So if you have been hired or know someone who has been hired, please let me know.

Thanks!

Read the highlighted section:

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law. According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service will accept late registrations but not after a man has reached age 26. You may be denied benefits or a job if you have not registered. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number. When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know. Provide a copy of your new social security number card; being sure to include your complete name, date of birth, Selective Service registration number, and current mailing address; and mail to the Selective Service System, P.O. Box 94636, Palatine, IL 60094-4636.
    http://www.sss.gov/
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by JIM88 View Post
      Has anyone, or does anyone know someone who has been hired without a selective service number?

I registered on my 18th birthday but the SS does not have any record of my doing so. I was DQ'd from a department for that reason only.

I have talked to someone at POST and was told that it is not a requirement by them to be hired.

I have done research on this, and have submitted all neccessary paperwork to the SS already.

If an ageny has a requirement (which most do) of you being registered, then no, no one has been hired without a number.

So if you have been hired or know someone who has been hired, please let me know.

Thanks!

If they have no record of it, then you didn't register. You would have received a card with your Selective Service number on it, which you should have kept. Mine's in my safe. However seems too late if you did or didn't. Burden is on you, sorry.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
        If they have no record of it, then you didn't register. You would have received a card with your Selective Service number on it, which you should have kept. Mine's in my safe. However seems too late if you did or didn't. Burden is on you, sorry.
        Do you really have that much faith in the US Government to believe they cannot possibly make a mistake?

I don't believe for one minute that they have every single person that registered still in their system. The Government is notorious for losing critical information all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Reservetobe View Post
          Do you really have that much faith in the US Government to believe they cannot possibly make a mistake?

I don't believe for one minute that they have every single person that registered still in their system. The Government is notorious for losing critical information all the time.
          Either way, the burden is on him. When he didn't get his card, during the 8 years between when he says he registered and when he aged out, he might have asked them why...

Comment

I could care less, that is one responsibility as a male to do this one thing. With that, he should have known that he would have received a card or something in the mail after he registered. Agaib, the burden is on him.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

So if you have been hired or know someone who has been hired, please let me know

So in other words, if you circumvented the system and got away with it, please let you know??? OK, Got it!

So did you just forget, or did you choose not to do it?

Comment

Thats his point. If you are not in THEIR system, then as far as they are concerned, you were never there. Thats why they tell you to keep the card.

Comment

I'm now 29, and my selective service registration is somewhere buried in files at my parent's house. Can I call and get another card for verification of registration, even though I'm well over 26?
                  "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                    I could care less, that is one responsibility as a male to do this one thing. With that, he should have known that he would have received a card or something in the mail after he registered. Agaib, the burden is on him.
                    Agreed, I signed up with the selective service when I was 18 and even though I did receive the card with my number on it saying I did I still checked on their site before I ever applied at any police department just to make sure they had the record of me signing up. It was not worth the risk and took a whole five mins of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by JIM88 View Post

Thanks!
                      Did you talk to a real person at SS or just the automated machine. I was able a copy of my card pretty easily.
                      Go here then look either under the section of Check a Registration or Men 26 and older
                      I'm sure you know this but there are more ways than one to get documentation. If you know you registered and at one point were mailed a card, do not accept No for an answer. The governments inefficiency is now your problem, unfortunately. You will just have to jump through a few more hoops
                      Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
                      So if you have been hired or know someone who has been hired, please let me know

So in other words, if you circumvented the system and got away with it, please let you know??? OK, Got it!

So did you just forget, or did you choose not to do it?
                      Back off him, Pal. He's trying to figure out how to get hired. The least you could do is help him. Didnt you need help at one point or another? Or did you save everything mommy and daddy told you to? I dont know a soul who saved that card. Most applicants call the SS to get their number. Why do you think most applications and CQ's have the SS number and website printed right next to the question? hmm?
                      13O2 Aug '10
                      List: <1000

Comment

Friday,

You can back off "pal". There are way too many that come on these boards and attempt to circumvent the system. BTW, POST in CA doesn't have the authority to tell any agency how to hire someone. They have their basic standards and an agency can make them tougher. Since you are on the east coast, don't tell us on the West Coast how to do our jobs.

I saved my card. Several responders saved theirs, so just because you don't bother doing things, don't lump us in your catagory.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

You ever thought about helping someone? I believe you that a lot of people come on here and try to get around strict hiring processes but will your words aide that? No. There's no way to get "around" hiring process, like you said, POST and the individual agencies set the standards. So since a majority of OMB are not members of their individual H.R. departments, try to remember back when you were applying, how difficult it was and help the guy find what he needs. Regardless of what you think, this is a public forum. The public comes to you for help. Is this how you guys act when the public comes to you for help?

Or if you never had questions, then I'm coming to work in California because you're either a liar, or it's easier to get hired there.
                          13O2 Aug '10

Comment

Originally posted by SGT. Joe Friday View Post
                            You ever thought about helping someone? I believe you that a lot of people come on here and try to get around strict hiring processes but will your words aide that? No. There's no way to get "around" hiring process, like you said, POST and the individual agencies set the standards. So since a majority of OMB are not members of their individual H.R. departments, try to remember back when you were applying, how difficult it was and help the guy find what he needs. Regardless of what you think, this is a public forum. The public comes to you for help. Is this how you guys act when the public comes to you for help?

Or if you never had questions, then I'm coming to work in California because you're either a liar, or it's easier to get hired there.
                            Sgt Joe, don't take anything District B13 says as representative of other California Coppers thoughts. His opinions are rarely agreed with by anybody.
                            "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
                              Sgt Joe, don't take anything District B13 says as representative of other California Coppers thoughts. His opinions are rarely agreed with by anybody.

Thanks. Got a little carried away and forgot that. I will take his advice and hop out of this thread though. A long way from home
                              Last edited by SGT. Joe Friday; 12-04-2010, 03:16 PM.
                              13O2 Aug '10

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5905 users online. 340 members and 5565 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X