300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glamis question

I'm an LEO up north and I'm planning a family vacation to Glamis. I've mentioned it to some colleagues & bout 1/2 tell me to bring a gun because of border issues. If that's the case we just won't go. Looking for your local insight. FYI we'll be there on a Monday through Thursday, hopefully missing the weekend crowd.

Thanks,

Chargers Fan

Originally posted by Chargers_fan View Post
    I'm an LEO up north and I'm planning a family vacation to Glamis. I've mentioned it to some colleagues & bout 1/2 tell me to bring a gun because of border issues. If that's the case we just won't go. Looking for your local insight. FYI we'll be there on a Monday through Thursday, hopefully missing the weekend crowd.

Thanks,

Chargers Fan
    I've been going to Glamis for 15 years.

The illegals arent a problem..in fact, we camp on the outskirts, the more quiet area so to speak (called "the washes") and we camp at the far end of them. In 15 years, I can only recall two occasions where illegals came into our campground. One time, it was super hot and they were major dehydrated..we gave them water, they thanked us, and went on their way. I have never heard of any violence involving illegals out there, ever.

However, there are definately issues in Glamis. Usually, every holiday weekend, someone (or many) gets killed. Most of the time, its someone riding outside of their ability, or getting hit by the train. People set 13 year old kids loose with 600 lb Rhinos and quads..its really bad. Now, having said that..I love Glamis. The riding is the best anywhere if you like the sand dunes. The holiday weekends are PACKED. I recommend camping down the washes, as your group can park in a circle and get some privacy. There is a lot less through traffic there, although you will have to deal with an occasional speeder by your camp or down the wash road. The trains run through there but the tracks are pretty much fenced off.

If you camp near the highway, prepare for a very loud and very dusty weekend. And yes, bring your gun. Although you should bring it everywhere with you

Comment

If you are not set on going to Glamis, you can always go to Oceano Dunes near Pismo Beach. It is really fun, on the ocean (may be a bit cold now) and it is more family oriented than Glamis. It is not as big, but the dunes are a lot of fun to ride and it is not as wild if you are worried about your lil kids out riding the dunes. Just a thought...

Comment

It is not a family atmosphere kind of place. Bring the gun.

Comment

Whoever told you the illegals are the problem obviously doesn't go to Glamis. Illegals don't go near that place, Its full of off roaders and many of them DUI the entire time. I have been there for the last 30 years. Thanksgiving weekend is one of the craziest weekends you will ever see there.

Definetely bring a gun, that place is full of drunk idiots, and fights break out regularly. People are killed there every big weekend by idiots either riding over their heads or some drunk idiot on a sandrail running someone over. The rangers and Imperial county patrol it, but it's a huge area and they really don't catch much of the shenanegans that take place.

I like to compare it to Lake Havasu without the water.

Comment

Chargersfan...in summary, if you go, camp far from the chaos (I recommend the washes - far down, like wash 20 or higher), still bring your gun, and dont let your kids go riding without adult supervision. Stay away from the busier areas (the venders, Olds Hill, etc) and dont ride at night.

Everyone in our group has kids and we have safely been enjoying Glamis for a long time. You can avoid 95% of the idiots with a little common sense.

Comment

Well, I'll said with the GO crowd. I've been going to the desert for 40 years and Glamis for 6 or 7. I've personally never seen a single illegal alien out there. Maybe they were camping next to me in a toyhauler and I didn't notice? I take my gun to Glamis but I never carry it. It's just in the trailer should I ever need it.

I generally avoid the major holidays and our group camps way away from the big crowds but we're going out XMAS day for (4) days and will be camping in the washes for the 1st time. Since it's generally more crowded here, maybe I'll see my first fight or brawl at Glamis. While there is potential for issues at Glamis, that's no different than anyplace else. Not to question what other posters are saying but I've seen 1000X the issues in Mission Beach (the tourist mecca of SD beaches) than I've ever seen at Glamis.

My concerns at Glamis all center around riding safety. There are people with sandrails that have 12 billion HP that don't know how to drive them and *may* have been drinking as well. People do 'haus *****' as well so you need to be aware of your surroundings but it's HUGE place and easy to avoid the chaos if you want....and going monday thru thursday, you won't have to deal with most of it anyway. Glamis is very unique and worth the trip at least once.

I
              "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Thanks for the response, seems like some good insight. If a Monday through Thursday (non holiday) week will miss the crowd/drunks then I'll continue to plan the trip. The trip would be just my family of four (wife & two boys 5 & 7 + two dogs) tent camping. There are dunes up here in Washington but snow covered, same with Idaho. Oregon's coastal dunes are just too cold & wet. Rode Oregon in the cold/wet once & had to fish my KX500 out of a deep witches eye turned into a pond (great WTF moment). I'm just ready to ride in the warmth of SoCal but I can wait if need be. By the way, where are "the washes"?

Chargers fan

Chargers fan

Comment

Warmth?!?! Dude, we have been freakishly cold lately. Good luck though.
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by Smurfette
                  Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                  Originally posted by DAL
                  You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

gonna be freezin in the dunes. and bring the gat, lots of open desert you will be driving thru and some undesirable towns with LOTS of parolees on the way to the dunes.

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                      The border patrol is out in FULL force and is very busy in the area. Drug smuggling is still a MAJOR concern and often times those "camp sites" that look totally innocent are used as staging points for large loads that are carried through the dunes on ATV.
                      Very true.

Comment

Tent camping? Yikes!! It does get cold in GLamis, especially at night!!

Guess I'm getting old, and spoiled...but I would not consider tent camping, ESPECIALLY at Glamis! It's pretty noisy unless you are far from everyone...and dont think given the other responses I would want to be off somewhere away from a group....

Tent camping sounds great somewhere it is quiet and calmer...or on the beach?

Comment

It was 5 degrees here last week, today's high is 45 & I work nights in a zone that still has snow. Is it that cold?

Comment

It was 5 degrees here last week, today's high is 45 & I work nights in a zone that still has snow. Is it that cold?
                            in that case you will be warm

Comment

By the way, where are "the washes"?

Chargers fan

Chargers fan
                              The washes are a harder packed area where you can easily get in with a large motorhome or 2wd truck, just follow the highway until you get to the railroad tracks and you'll see wash road. If you go too deep into the wash, meaning toward the dunes, you can and most likely will get stuck in a 2wd or motorhome. The access into the washes is great now with the addition of a new gravel based wash road that was put in a couple years ago. I prefer wash camping now that I have a family. It gets pretty dusty in the washes, but its worth it for the extra space and less-rowdy crowds.

FYI, I have seen illegals walking through the desert there, although have never had a problem. Where I have seen them is in the south dunes though, nowhere near the washes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4040 users online. 215 members and 3825 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X