Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Worley C Jones, Jr., #2693 (CHP-Retired)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Worley C Jones, Jr., #2693 (CHP-Retired)

For those of you who may have taken classes from Worley at Rio Hondo and for those of you who knew him:

WORLEY C. JONES Jr. age 82, died peacefully in his sleep on Thanksgiving morning, November 25, 2010. Worley was born in Kaufman, TX and moved to CA at the age of 21 after serving in the US Navy. He met his one true love, Audrey Booth, while working together at Van de Kamp Bakery in Los Angeles. They married in 1950 and have lived the past 46 years in Montclair, CA. Worley was proud of his accomplishments and was a true cop, through and through. He worked as an airplane mechanic, Dallas Police Department, Los Angeles Sheriffs Office, and eventually the CHP as a patrol officer and motorcycle cop, retiring as Commander of the Santa Fe Springs office. He held the CHP family close to his chest and was well respected in everything he accomplished in life. He taught at Rio Hondo College and was an active member of the 10-10 Travel Club for many years. People remember his insatiable sense of humor and he was quite the practical joker. His colleagues remember lots of fun, some heated discussions, but most of all a man of integrity who was always fair. During his career he earned his MS Degree which was a very proud moment for him and his family, having come from troubled and humble beginnings. After retiring from the CHP he started his own business reconstructing accidents for attorneys and insurance companies which included court appearances as the expert witness. This second career proved to be very successful and became his hobby until he sold it at age 80 when he truly retired. He is survived by his wife, Audrey Jones, daughter Marsha Carr and son in-law Steve Carr of Folsom, CA, son Ken Jones of Prescott, AZ, grandson Jeff Carr of Corpus Christi TX, granddaughter Jill Carr Copur of Folsom, CA and 5 great grandchildren: Sophie and Lucy Copur, Lydia, Josiah, and Jeremiah Jones Carr. Thank you Jeremiah for carrying on the Jones name. He is also survived by his sister Sonja Callicott from TX and Neil Jones from Tennessee. He is predeceased by his sisters Sally Seitz, Jo-Von Tucker, and Charleene Hodges, all from TX. Donations can be made in Worleys name to the CAHP Widows and Orphans Trust Fund, PO Box 161209, Sacramento, CA 95816-1209, 916-452-6751.

Published in Inland Valley Daily Bulletin on December 1, 2010
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Sorry to hear of his passing. I met him a few times over the years, his name is well known to those of us on the back end of our careers, never heard a bad word said about him. RIP Capt, life well sent!
    Last edited by andy5746; 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

He knew the Vehicle Code so well I thought he wrote it himself. Very knowledgeable copper. RIP, Captain Jones.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Smurfette
      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
      Originally posted by DAL
      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I'm very sad to hear this. It's been 15 years since I was in his traffic enforcement class at Rio Hondo.

I still recite some of his "class room story's". In my minds eye I can still see the picture, he brought in to class, of the crushed CHP radio car, which was crushed by a tractor truck. The picture depicted a tractor truck resting on top of the r/c. You would not think much of the picture, other than Worley Jones was in the r/c at the time the truck ran over the vehicle.

Rest in peace Worley.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this. That man is the reason I became a traffic cop. He was by far the best instructor I had at Rio Hondo. I'm sure everyone here that he taught has colorful stories about his teaching methods. He forgot more about the vehicle code than most cops will ever know. RIP Worley you old SOB. You were right, the good book is full of PC.
          God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Worley Jones that is a name YOU CAN'T Forget, if you went to Rio Hondo you would know it, We (Class 121) would refer to Mr. Jones as the walking Vehicle code, His humor was captivating and very witty......His depiction of the preverbial "Screen Test",, or "waffling" like he called it, or the ever popular "D-R-T".....(Dead Right There) brought laughter to the class.....his method of teaching was simplified and allowed you to understand. I know that these memories will always stay with me!

RIP Sir......

Comment

How many guys here have looked for the truckers with the p***y lights? I actually caught myself in court on a few occasions telling the judge that I hit the guy with the ruby (for those that don't know, that's the solid red light).
              God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by andy5746 View Post
                Sorry to hear of his passing. I met him a few times over the ears, his name is well known to those of us on the back end of our careers, never heard a bad word said about him. RIP Capt, life well sent!
                Sarge,

Did he ever do classes for us?......or do outside classes (DUI seminars ect)?.......his name sounds very familiar.
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                  Sarge,

Did he ever do classes for us?......or do outside classes (DUI seminars ect)?.......his name sounds very familiar.
                  Sorry, I don't really know. He taught primarily at Rio Hondo as far as I know. As a side note, I was working the day the Scrap Metal Tractor/Trailer overturned on his patrol car. Never seen a man so pale in my life. That incident put a stop to him going out at lunch time playing speed cop on the freeway. He was very fortunate in that incident.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                    Sarge,

I don't believe he taught any of our Academy L.D.'s, but anyone that worked traffic long enough and put themselves through any advanced training on their own ran across him sooner or later. He had a guest appearance in a Commercial Enforcement class that I was fortunate enough to attend a few decades ago, and he had that photo of his mangled radio car with the truck on top, narrarated with his trade-mark "I thought I was D-R-T" quote.

If you ever met him you'd not soon forget him.
                    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

RIP, had classes with him at Rio Hondo, dry but funny sense of humor. I'll never forget the line from RIO Hondo class 160 traffic course, sitting in his class and his statement, (and I quote) "The only good thing about a lifted truck besides it being unsafe, is for a quick BEAVER shot!" Had the class rolling for a few minutes, Oh man, good times!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4553 users online. 251 members and 4302 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X