300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dragon Slayer View Post
    Use your gift of gab. Most medical marijuana "patients" think the card grants complete immunity so they are usually candid about their use. You don't have to get into specifics about the medical "condition" but note that one exists, thus their reason for smoking marijuana. Also establish how much they use and how often they use. Lay it out on your re-eval form and you'll likely get them suspended. The DMV doesn't want people driving around high.

I've never turned one in that hasn't been suspended. The reason for the suspension has always been "medical." If someone has a medical condition serious enough to need marijuana then they probably shouldn't be driving anyway.
    Really? Are these kids such a threat to society that we have to focus on ruining them to such an extent? Attempting to get their license revoked, possibly taking their ability to work and support their family away from them? I would rather focus on gangsters, child molesters, rapists, murderers.... Cite them and move on. I refuse to serve my community by wasting time thinking of ways to ruin the lives of kids who are legally smoking pot, just because I don't agree with their choice.
    "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
      Really? Are these kids such a threat to society that we have to focus on ruining them to such an extent? Attempting to get their license revoked, possibly taking their ability to work and support their family away from them? I would rather focus on gangsters, child molesters, rapists, murderers.... Cite them and move on. I refuse to serve my community by wasting time thinking of ways to ruin the lives of kids who are legally smoking pot, just because I don't agree with their choice.
      How many murders, rapists, and child molesters do you catch a day on patrol?

People who smoke week several times a day at age 20 because they have a bad back don't need to be out driving a car.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
        How many murders, rapists, and child molesters do you catch a day on patrol?

People who smoke week several times a day at age 20 because they have a bad back don't need to be out driving a car.
        How many DUI TC's do you investigate each day that involve marijuana?
        "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
          How many DUI TC's do you investigate each day that involve marijuana?
          I investigate them all the time. Mainly combos though. Ever heard of Anthony Pedeferri?

Comment

I investigate them all the time. Mainly combos though. Ever heard of Anthony Pedeferri?
            Well, be that as it may. I have worked patrol for a very long time and can count on one hand how many Injury TCs I have investigated where DUI marijuana was the PCF. Actually, I could count on one finger.

I just don't get you guys. Alcohol is accepted, even encouraged by coworkers in Police work. I hear young coppers bragging about how wasted they got the night before and how they are going to have to find a shady tree to hide out under. Is this more honorable than the kid who smokes marijuana for a back problem? Even if the kid is faking, is his vice worse than that of the burnt out copper who drinks himself to sleep every night? Not to mention driving home from the bar and getting "professional courtesy" when stopped. Alcohol causes horrendous traffic collisions and kills people every day. It ruins lives, and families, causes depression, and ends careers. Alcohol diminishes the health of fellow coppers and causes divorces. Alcohol is truly destructive...yet many of you joke about all the "little tricks" to screw a punk kid over to the fullest extent just because he smokes weed. You even give each other advise how to word paperwork just so to make sure that the kid loses his license and can't support himself. What about the guy who truly has tried everything to stop the pain, and marijuana happened to do the trick. You would be representing the uniform well to use your official powers to screw him over to the fullest. Imagine his frustration when he realized that the voters of California afforded him the right to exercise this option, only to have some cop use "tricks of the trade" to bypass his legal right and royally screw him over.

I really don't blame you guys, however. We have been told that weed is bad since we were kids. We have had it ground in to our heads that one day you smoke a marijuana cigarette, and the next day your slamming heroin. I believe that some of you actually think that you are doing good by bending your authority by abusing the DMV priority re-exam. Many cops have also thought they were doing good when bending the truth just a tad in a DV report, or a supplemental report for a photo line-up. The point I am trying to make is that we are not the ones who should decide if a person should or should not be able to smoke medicinal marijuana. Our own feelings about them faking are worth nothing. I have yet to meet a copper who was medically trained to such an extent that they could legitimately determine that someone was faking an injury. And so what if we could? So what if they want to get high? Alcohol is much more destructive. How about we just arrest those that we can prove are DUI and leave the creative rule bending for those coppers without integrity?

Comment

Originally posted by Rossi357
              Have there ever been any tests done on how much MJ impairs driving. I saw one on Mythbusters that compared texting vs. alcohol. Texting was worse.
              I remember seeing a woman driving with an ice cream cup in her left hand and her pinkie finger holding the wheel, a spoon in her right hand....waving it in the air, and a cell phone tucked under chin, all this in the rain. Driving distracted to the max.
              http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,493202.column

Comment

Have there ever been any tests done on how much MJ impairs driving. I saw one on Mythbusters that compared texting vs. alcohol. Texting was worse.
                I remember seeing a woman driving with an ice cream cup in her left hand and her pinkie finger holding the wheel, a spoon in her right hand....waving it in the air, and a cell phone tucked under chin, all this in the rain. Driving distracted to the max.
                The worst I saw was a girl in a big SUV who had a tv screen in her visor watching TV as she drove...

Comment

Unscientific, insufficent data, and an idiot reporting it.
                  The video sure opened some people's eyes about it though.

Comment

IE Copper, you seem to be taking this personally for some reason. I also think you are taking it out of context.

Sure, drinking alcohol is accepted. Drinking alcohol and driving isn't. Just like smoking marijuana and driving shouldn't be accepted.

Your analogy about "bending" the truth and inferring that some of us "lack integrity" is actually quite offensive. All we are doing is providing the DMV with a set of facts and a recommendation for a re-evaluation. They make the ultimate decision. Should re-evals be done on everyone that smokes marijuana? Absolutely not. Should they be done on those who drive around high? In my opinion, yes. I don't want them sharing the same road as me or my family.

And I'll ask again, have you ever heard of Anthony Pedeferri?
                    Last edited by Dragon Slayer; 11-22-2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

IE Copper, you seem to be taking this personally for some reason. I also think you are taking it out of context.

Sure, drinking alcohol is accepted. Drinking alcohol and driving isn't. Just like smoking marijuana and driving shouldn't be accepted.

Your analogy about "bending" the truth and inferring that some of us "lack integrity" is actually quite offensive. All we are doing is providing the DMV with a set of facts and a recommendation for a re-evaluation. They make the ultimate decision. Should re-evals be done on everyone that smokes marijuana? Absolutely not. Should they be done on those who drive around high? In my opinion, yes. I don't want them sharing the same road as me or my family.

And I'll ask again, have you ever heard of Anthony Pedeferri?
                      Actually, the conversation was not discussing re-evaluations for drivers in need of them. Discussed was how to word the examination requests, just so, in order to ensure that the license was taken from the driver just because they have a medicinal marijuana card. The purpose behind these evaluations is for law enforcement to alert the DMV of drivers who have permanent mental or physical conditions that make them a danger to themselves and the public if behind the wheel. They are typically used for elderly drivers who think they can still drive, but obviously can not. These are not meant to be a tool for Police to screw people over because they are annoyed with California law allowing the people to smoke marijuana. If someone is driving while high on marijuana, arrest them. If they simply have a medical marijuana card and are legally in possession of marijuana, leave them alone.... Of course, if your county (like San Bernardino) does not recognize these cards, then disregard my advise.

I am not trying to call into question the integrity of any of you. I am sure that all of you take your job seriously and your intent is good. I simply do not agree with targeting medicinal marijuana smokers just because you think they are faking, or don't agree with the California voters that voted that they could exercise this right. My analogy to alcohol was very consistent, in my opinion. I am sure that those of you discussing this do not send in mandatory re evaluation forms for every person who is driving with a beer or two in them. So why send it in for someone who has a medicinal marijuana card?

DragonSlayer, the name Anthony Pedeferri did not ring a bell so I looked it up. Very sad story. I will say a prayer for him and his family. I am guessing you wanted me to read it because he was probably high when he hit the Officer? I hope he gets the book thrown at him, just like the much larger number of pukes that have been drunk and hit officers.

Comment

Here is another read for you:

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/stat.../la052708.html

Comment

How do departments handle medical marijuana and potential candidates? I was wondering what would happen if Prop 19 passed. Essentially it is legal in Cali but not federal law, so would you be automaticially disquallified? I assume the same goes for medical marijuana.

Comment

mmmmMmMmm gotta get me some of that medical crack
                            Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Medical Marijuana Cards

IECOOPER,
                              You seem to be forgetting that while medicinal marijuana is legal in California, it has no protection for companies that do drug testing and a person that pops hot on a UA is fired. There is also Federal regulations for any company that has contracts with any federal agency to have "Drug Free Workspace" which require regular testing. O.k. so the VA is backing off on the medicinal marijuana as a disqualification for some programs, for states that have medicinal marijuana, the VA is also not prescribing it, and it is still a federal offense to bring it on to federal property. I worked on the border in San Diego with Navy Border Liaison Group, and saw young adults (18 to 20) coming back across the border from Mexico with the marijuana card. The doctors that are prescribing it advertise for $100 you will be evaluated and given a medical marijuana card. If that's not quackery what is? While there are a few people that might benefit from marijuana, I fully doubt that the number of people with the cards equal the actual number that would honestly benefit from it.
                              GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11015 users online. 399 members and 10616 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X