Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Openings in CA

Hey all,

First I just want to say thanks for these great forums--although I'm a newbie poster, I am a long-time lurker (who has read all the stickies, I promise!).

Anyway, I was hoping I could get some insight. I am very interested in a career in law enforcement, and I would ideally like to be in California (though if you know of other states that I might have more luck in, I'd consider them).

However, I am wondering what my chances are (and what I would have to do to strengthen those) in getting a job at any of the agencies in CA (in particular those serving major cities: LAPD, SJPD, etc.) and what the relevant time frame would be. I think I would look pretty good as a candidate, but am not sure. I consider myself to be very intelligent, extremely hardworking, and entirely trustworthy. I have had no encounters with the law (not even a parking ticket--ever), never smoked or used drugs, handle stress with no problems, and work well in teams--both as a member and a leader.

Lastly, does anyone have any insight on the "expedited" application processes that these departments might have? I would like to minimize the number of flights to CA I have to make. More generally though, how long would one expect the process to take to get to the academy?

Thanks!
    Last edited by 4CAlaw; 05-08-2010, 04:39 AM. Reason: shortened for easier reading

Originally posted by blargh
    There's calopps.org , can't say I've received too many emails from them in a while. However, many governments post job openings on the website. Not the best time to be looking for a job...

I should have dropped out of college and joined the LAPD back when they were giving out 10,000 dollar bonuses to new hires.
    Thanks! I've been checking out calopps with some frequency, but it seems the majority of job postings are for laterals or reserves.

Woah, 10k bonus for new hires! When was this?! It's amazing they could go from needing officers that badly to having a backlog of applications...

I've heard that college degrees are becoming more important in recruit hiring though, so hopefully my $200k degree will count for something.
    Last edited by 4CAlaw; 05-05-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

You must be a Stanford guy with tuition like that. Good luck.

Comment

www.governmentjobs.com

Alot more postings than CalOpps.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CAlaw View Post
          Hey all,

First I just want to say thanks for these great forums--although I'm a newbie poster, I am a long-time lurker (who has read all the stickies, I promise!).

Anyway, I was hoping I could get some insight. I am very interested in a career in law enforcement, and I would ideally like to be in California (though if you know of other states that I might have more luck in, I'd consider them).

Here is my situation: I am in my early 20's, and am about to graduate with a major in Finance & Accounting in May from a very prestigious college (4.0 GPA). Despite the undergraduate track, I am (and have always been) far more interested in the law; I could make 2-5x more this fall if I accepted a job in the private sector, yet I am not intending to do so.

However, I am wondering what my chances are (and what I would have to do to strengthen those) in getting a job at any of the agencies in CA (in particular those serving major cities: LAPD, SJPD, etc.) and what the relevant time frame would be. I think I would look pretty good as a candidate, but am not sure. I consider myself to be very intelligent (Valedictorian in high school & college, member of various academic honor societies, etc.), extremely hardworking, and entirely trustworthy. I have had no encounters with the law (not even a parking ticket--ever), never smoked or used drugs, handle stress with no problems, and work well in teams--both as a member and a leader.

I have done a great amount of research on the profession, and am fully aware of all it entails. I even have a pretty good understanding of the academy from personal testimonials and watching approximately 20 hours of training video. I know I could contribute greatly towards my department once I'm a cop, but am unsure of what I would need to do to be allowed that opportunity--especially considering the restrictions on hiring due to budgetary problems.

Lastly, does anyone have any insight on the "expedited" application processes that these departments might have? I would like to minimize the number of flights to CA I have to make. More generally though, how long would one expect the process to take to get to the academy? I am in the unfortunate position of having a shortened timetable, as I must matriculate in mid-August to law school (backup plan) if I do not get accepted into an Academy by then.

Thanks!
          I'm going to do you a favor and tell you the truth. Your chances of getting on to LAPD or SJPD are slim. Your chances of getting on any agency and in to the academy by mid august are 0%. Your qualifications are OK. You have not served in the Military, you may or may not speak Spanish, and I see no other eye catchers other than that you have a clean record.

I don't know an accurate statistic, but the amount of applicants compared to the amount of job openings for entry level recruits is overwhelming. Very few departments are hiring anybody other than academy graduates or laterals. If you apply to one of the few that are, you are competing against applicants with Military background, Master's Degrees, clean backgrounds, Reserve Officers, Police explorers or CSO's, Dispatchers and many other outstanding qualifications. On top of this, each of these departments have outstanding applicants that live in the area of the department.

Don't waist your money flying out here multiple times for a very, very small chance at maybe being considered. I have nothing against you man; I just want to give you a realistic answer to your question.
          "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
            I'm going to do you a favor and tell you the truth. Your chances of getting on to LAPD or SJPD are slim. Your chances of getting on any agency and in to the academy by mid august are 0%. Your qualifications are OK. You have not served in the Military, you may or may not speak Spanish, and I see no other eye catchers other than that you have a clean record.

I don't know an accurate statistic, but the amount of applicants compared to the amount of job openings for entry level recruits is overwhelming. Very few departments are hiring anybody other than academy graduates or laterals. If you apply to one of the few that are, you are competing against applicants with Military background, Master's Degrees, clean backgrounds, Reserve Officers, Police explorers or CSO's, Dispatchers and many other outstanding qualifications. On top of this, each of these departments have outstanding applicants that live in the area of the department.

Don't waist your money flying out here multiple times for a very, very small chance at maybe being considered. I have nothing against you man; I just want to give you a realistic answer to your question.
            I appreciate the straightforward answer very much.

Do you think there would be any harm in taking the PELLETB and submitting a few apps if I score fairly high? I realize it is unrealistic to be in an academy by August, but I was hoping there was some chance to be notified that I was accepted into one; i.e. be told I would be in the Jan 2011 academy by August.

Podria hablar español para ahorrar mi vida (I could speak Spanish to save my life), but do you think it would be wise to become more proficient to work in CA?

It's unfortunate that the ability to create a synthetic mezzanine-level CDO security is not a desired qualification (S/M CDOs are one of the financial instruments that are largely blamed for the financial crisis).

Comment

edited by DCH
              Last edited by DCH; 05-06-2010, 11:24 AM.
              Timelines:

CBPO
              App: 2/12/09
              Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
              Written: 2/20/09
              NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
              TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
              App: 5/5/09
              Geo: San Diego
              Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
              NOR: 7/20/09
              Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
              TO: 10/6/09
              Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
              Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
              Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
              App: 8/17/10
              Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
              TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

I've heard that college degrees are becoming more important in recruit hiring though, so hopefully my $200k degree will count for something.

If you will have a "200k degree" you would be going to a T14 law school and would be stupid to give up that opportunity for a cop job. That being said, none of the T14's cost 200K anyway. $150K tops, $120K for the most part and just about everyone but Harvard gives tuition scholarships. With a high enough LSAT (which you need to get into a T14) and your 4.0 you would likely qualify for most scholarships.

Lastly, as has been said, you have 0% chance of getting in by Aug.
                Last edited by hbliam; 05-06-2010, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blargh
                  Oh, it was around 2005 I think, I know I was still in college.

Yep, I don't think there's an agency in California that doesn't require at the very least an AA degree (or equivelant credits).
                  There are few agencies in Southern California that REQUIRE more then a High School Diploma or GED. Who you are competing against is another story.

Comment

I appreciate the straightforward answer very much.

Do you think there would be any harm in taking the PELLETB and submitting a few apps if I score fairly high? I realize it is unrealistic to be in an academy by August, but I was hoping there was some chance to be notified that I was accepted into one; i.e. be told I would be in the Jan 2011 academy by August.

Podria hablar español para ahorrar mi vida (I could speak Spanish to save my life), but do you think it would be wise to become more proficient to work in CA?

It's unfortunate that the ability to create a synthetic mezzanine-level CDO security is not a desired qualification (S/M CDOs are one of the financial instruments that are largely blamed for the financial crisis).
                    The hiring process is very lengthy. Even if you did find an agency in California, make it all the way through the process, and get hired, it's pretty much a 0% chance you'd hear about an academy by August. I just got hired, and my process took almost 5 months, and that's quick for what I've been seeing right now. The other guys I applied with are still in backgrounds, with no end in the near future. You'd probably be better off finding a Law Enforcement job in the midwest, California has been hit really hard with hiring freezes.
                    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

Comment

Agreed, stay in the midwest and get a job there, much better place to retire and have a family than CA. Why do you want to come to CA anyway? it's not what you see on TV, and it's not all that, believe me. Plus the idiots in this state want to legalize marijuana.....enough said.

No you do not need to know spanish to work in LE here, I get by with the academy spanish on the streets.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with what these individuals are saying. I am finding it extremely difficult to get hired, and this coming from someone with a BA, fluency in spanish, clean record, and a volunteer for both the sheriffs department and probation department of LA. The important part is not to get discouraged by rejections. As someone mentioned previously you will be going up against well qualified people with amazing backgrounds. Despite you being a good candidate the one spot they have open will probably go to the most qualified, so don't feel down for being non selected.
                        The one thing I cant stress enough for individuals looking to get hired as recruits is do your best on these physical agility test. Departments are looking to hire individuals who can survive the academy. I remember one SBSD recruiter saying 1/3 of individuals they put through as deputy sheriff drop out of the academy. That being said, they are looking for people who can hang in the academy and not be a waste of money and time.

Comment

4CAlaw = jrsam = bcwlms = pec86 = bsd13 =
                          TROLL

For whatever reason, this particular troll seems to get his rocks off by posting non-confrontational threads and then including himself in the online discussion.
                          “Let him go, Lou. Someone driving that fast has no time for a ticket.”
                          -Chief Wiggum

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3884 users online. 264 members and 3620 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X