Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another job opportunity didn't work out. Advice?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another job opportunity didn't work out. Advice?

Hi Guys,

I just got passed over for a position with my dream agency. I'm still on the eligibility list for future openings, but don't know when that will happen.

I was working as a sworn CO, and decided to self-sponsor myself through the academy last year with my college fund. During the academy I applied to
    30+ agencies and was only able to interview with 3 of them. I have made it to final interviews on all three but always get the #2 or #3 slot instead of the #1.

I know it is a tough market out there for jobs with all the budget cuts and all. Right now I'm in a bit of a situation I want some guidance on. When I graduated the academy, I moved back in with my parents while hunting down my law enforcement career. They said they would cover my expenses while I was on the hunt. It's been 5 months now since graduation and no job. I was also stupid in putting all my eggs in one basket with my dream agency because the process was going so well. Now, I'm back at square one again.

Where I live, there are no LEO positions available, and there wont be for quite some time. I'm looking at a minimum 600 mile round trip each time I go to test or interview anywhere. My parents are trying to convince me to stay with them and get a part time job and continue to test places while I am thinking I should move somewhere closer to where the LEO jobs are. Obviously, I would have to get a full time job to support me if this were the case. I don't see a problem picking up a job as loss prevention, armored truck, campus security, etc etc though because I have plenty of job experience and education. I also look at being back out on my own from the continued life experience perspective.

Anyway, any advice will be a great help to me.

if you arent bilingual , learn spanish. if you dont have a degree get one. in this job market you need to stand out with specialized experience or talent. good luck.
    Ivan, did you see the sun rise this morningsigpic?

Comment

The job market is bad everywhere right now.. Being in the top 5 of a list is actually really good. It doesn't mean the #1 spot person will get the job over you. It just means they scored higher on testing.

I would definitely get a job to pay the bills. If you sat around at home with mom and dad, some B/I may take that as you being lazy.

Comment

Thanks for the input jgorto. I know a little bit of Spanish from when I took it in high school but do certainly need to retrain myself in it. That's on my todo list. As for a degree, I already have that as well as all sorts of certificates, licenses, and extra training stuff.

Originally posted by jgorto View Post
        if you arent bilingual , learn spanish. if you dont have a degree get one. in this job market you need to stand out with specialized experience or talent. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Socal-Cop View Post
          The job market is bad everywhere right now.. Being in the top 5 of a list is actually really good. It doesn't mean the #1 spot person will get the job over you. It just means they scored higher on testing.

I would definitely get a job to pay the bills. If you sat around at home with mom and dad, some B/I may take that as you being lazy.
          This^^^

That would/should be on the top of your list along with brushing up on the spanish.
          It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
          Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

I do pride myself in always being at the top of the list. With my CO job, I was #6 and got hired first. However, the few agencies I have made it on the list to have chosen other people.

I agree with getting out of the house and getting a job. It's just a matter of trying to get my parents to understand how the system works without creating total family chaos. I've tried explaining that it doesn't make sense for me to sit around and do nothing to further my skills while looking for my career spot. It makes total sense for me to go do a loss prevention management position (which I've done before) that I can earn money, gain more life experience, and continue to hone my interview and investigative skills on.

Originally posted by Socal-Cop View Post

Comment

military is looked highly upon and they always hire. don't know if thats an option for you though

Comment

I would get a full time job, even if it's not law enforcement related. Having a long gap in your work history can raise an eyebrow in any industry,and besides like most of us you need to pay some bills. You already have a lot of great credentials; CO experience, a college degree, and self sponsorship going for you. Good luck, I have a feeling you will get over that hump and get hired.

Comment

Why don't you get a part time job like your parents have suggested and become a reserve at your dream agency or another agency close to home. The flood gates will open up in due time and everyone will be hiring.

If you show the agency your are a go getter and put in your time as a reserve, they will most likely hire you full time when the position opens up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14931 users online. 404 members and 14527 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X