300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police agencies that do not carry firearm on duty

I recently heard about some southern california college and school district police agencies who do not carry firearm on duty. There are fully sworn and are allowed to carry off-duty. Seemed a little shocking.

I've heard of that too, i forget which one it was though. I think it was Pasadena City College District Police was one of them

-DeL

Comment

Cerritos Community College in Norwalk. Sworn and unarmed.

Comment

LA County Probation used to prohibit their POs from being armed while on duty. Don't know what their status is now. It used to be a big joke to see them go to the locker room at end of watch to put their guns on.

Hospital Police for the State Department of Mental Health are also unarmed at most facilities.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I heard about a small university PD around washington DC that does not carry on duty. It has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. I'd dig ditches for a living before I would work for any agency so incredibly irresponsible.

Comment

The only ones I can think of off hand are school and college PD's. Pasadena as mentioned.. Huntington beach schools PD, San Francisco Community College PD, and a few more. It's a rare thing. But lets be real. If you don't carry a gun, you aren't real police.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
              I heard about a small university PD around washington DC that does not carry on duty.
              Actually, most of the Universities in DC don't carry. Catholic U, Howard, and U of DC are the only ones that I know of.....the other 10 or so don't.......

Comment

There is a section in the California Penal Code that grants peace officer powers. Officers in 830.1 and 830.2 (city/county/CHP & major state agencies) have an unrestricted ability to carry a weapon.

The sections that come after that list specialized peace officers which can include, DMV investigators, airport police, transit police, hospital police, county water district security officers, voluntary fire wardens, etc. There, the Legislature was quite clear. They said:

Those peace officers may carry firearms only if authorized and under terms and conditions specified by their employing agency.

In short, unless you are with a mainstream law enforcement agency, the ability to carry on duty is at the whim of the employer.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The governing board of the college decides if they are armed or not.

City College of San Francisco (San Francisco Community College District Police) is one of them.

http://www.ccsf.edu/Departments/Publ...loymentpo.html
                  Last edited by deputy x 2; 04-17-2010, 03:40 PM.
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

There's a school police in Rowland Hgts Ca that doesn't carry. The Bassett school dist used to change their officer's status from police to security every couple years. They couldn't carry in the day but could at night. Go figure.
                    God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

You'd think that after Columbine and Virginia Tech..to name a few incidents..... the Governing Board or the grand poohbahs who make the decision would get a clue.

Reactive instead of proactive.....it won't happen here attitude.

Nobody JR-Having Peace Officer authority isn't determined by the "tools" provided to do your job. Think of all the agencies who don't have tasers, less lethal or AR's. And back to the topix...there are countries where the police don't have guns...does that make em less of a cop??? Nope.
                      Last edited by deputy x 2; 04-17-2010, 07:43 PM.
                      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

My inlaws live in Rowland Hgts and i noticed that Rowland HgtsSPD do not carry pistols. I looked them up a while back and they are all full Post i believe.

Bassett is using school security right now.

Originally posted by Bully View Post
                        There's a school police in Rowland Hgts Ca that doesn't carry. The Bassett school dist used to change their officer's status from police to security every couple years. They couldn't carry in the day but could at night. Go figure.

Comment

It’s insane to put on a badge (target) and not a gun…

When one of their officers gets killed, how big a payout will the jury award the widow.
                          Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                            Nobody JR-Having Peace Officer authority isn't determined by the "tools" provided to do your job. Think of all the agencies who don't have tasers, less lethal or AR's. And back to the topix...there are countries where the police don't have guns...does that make em less of a cop??? Nope.
                            I disagree with you for this country. Lethal force and the ability to respond to deadly threats is essential to police work. Your authority is worthless without the ability to enforce it. The state may give you the "authority" to make arrests and take people into custody... but the gun and handcuffs is what enables you to physically act on the authority. The other equipment is nice but not necessary.

If someone took away my gun I wouldn't be able to do half my work... take away responding to robberies, man with a gun calls, arresting parolees at large, people with weapons, etc etc. How would I take a man with a gun into custody without my own gun? He would have no reason to submit to my authority.

So yeah they are less than a real cop. Peace officers without guns shouldn't even exist.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
                              I disagree with you for this country. Lethal force and the ability to respond to deadly threats is essential to police work. Your authority is worthless without the ability to enforce it. The state may give you the "authority" to make arrests and take people into custody... but the gun and handcuffs is what enables you to physically act on the authority. The other equipment is nice but not necessary.

If someone took away my gun I wouldn't be able to do half my work... take away responding to robberies, man with a gun calls, arresting parolees at large, people with weapons, etc etc. How would I take a man with a gun into custody without my own gun? He would have no reason to submit to my authority.

So yeah they are less than a real cop. Peace officers without guns shouldn't even exist.
                              I think you misunderstood. I totally agree with you that ALL police officers should be armed.

However, some... because of their Governing Board or district policy aren't. So yes, they have to respond to calls without a gun. I guess knowing that prior to accepting a job with that agency would be a huge factor.

When I attended CCSF, an instructor was shot and killed by a student. SFCCDP responded and I thought oh ****, how can they determine which student was armed?

For you to say,"So yeah they are less than a real cop" is straight up disrespectful.

There are many jobs that I wouldn't even consider doing....but someone has to or has chosen it for one reason or another. Who are you to make that judgement?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17698 users online. 510 members and 17188 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X