Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LAPD Homicide Investigations Idled by Budget Cuts

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LAPD Homicide Investigations Idled by Budget Cuts

    In January, Los Angeles Police Det. Nate Kouri was ordered to stop working.

    One of the LAPD's most productive homicide investigators sat idle for six weeks, unable to follow any leads on old cases or pick up new ones. Kouri was not being punished for misconduct or for botching an investigation. He was benched for working too hard -- and he is not the only one.

    With the city reeling from its worst financial crisis in decades, the LAPD has stopped paying officers overtime wages, except in rare situations. In lieu of cash, officials have implemented a strict policy of forcing cops to take time off when they accrue large amounts of overtime hours. Because of demanding work schedules that routinely require them to investigate a case into the night or through the weekend, homicide detectives have been among the first officers to be sent home in significant numbers.

    The drain on homicide squads has hampered investigations, several detectives and top department officials said in interviews. Detectives said their investigations are frequently put on hold while they take days off, delaying witness interviews and other potentially important leads. And, in the crucial first hours after a killing, several supervisors said they now dispatch fewer detectives to the crime scene.

    A rash of homicides in recent weeks has compounded the problem...

    Article continues here.

  • #2
    Flexing hours is becoming the norm .. which is ok most of the time.. but call-outs in the middle of the night are easier to handle when you get OT for it

    Comment


    • #3
      Yet another example of political leaders letting finances get in the way of good police work. They have plenty of money to spend on social programs, pet projects and parks, but not enough to solve the most serious of all crimes.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

      I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

      Comment


      • #4
        ATEAMER couldnt agree more!! At the end of the day all they want us to do is take a report!!

        Comment


        • #5
          officers that are hardworking and get overtime are now put on the bench and not allowed to work the streets. Any officer that hits 200 hours in their overtime bank has to take weeks off to compensate for it, so not only are there less hard working officers on the street but there are just plain less officers working.

          Comment


          • #6
            meanwhile city councilmembers such as bernie parks pulls over 200k from the LAPD retirement on top of his 250k city councilmember salary, and none of them voted to take a paycut instead they would rather cut city jobs and salary/overtime of the ones actually trying to help this city. Not to mention any officers facing misconduct that previously would have resulted in only a few days will now be grounds for termination.

            Comment


            • #7
              This is why the federal government went to the LEAP system for investigators. We aren't factory workers, there is no bell that says when the job is done. We work until the job is done, which sometimes means 24 hours straight or longer.

              I have grown to like the LEAP system. Obviously I would make more if we were paid OT hour for hour, but I kind of like not having to worry about keeping track of hours, getting OT slips approved, etc. It's just one less administrative task that distracts from casework.
              Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BanditLAPD View Post
                meanwhile city councilmembers such as bernie parks pulls over 200k from the LAPD retirement on top of his 250k city councilmember salary, and none of them voted to take a paycut instead they would rather cut city jobs and salary/overtime of the ones actually trying to help this city. Not to mention any officers facing misconduct that previously would have resulted in only a few days will now be grounds for termination.
                You would think Bernie Parks, would be all for keeping the same amount of Officers and not cutting the positions, since he was Top Cop some years ago.
                Electric Avenue.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This was on the news tonight

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LS1Blue View Post
                    You would think Bernie Parks, would be all for keeping the same amount of Officers and not cutting the positions, since he was Top Cop some years ago.
                    As an affected employee, I'd rather see some positions cut rather than take a pay cut. Already, they have cut our overtime pay. Now they are talking across the board pay cuts? I'm a tenured employee and whether it sucks or not, I'd rather see them cut the new hires that they had no business hiring in the first place.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BanditLAPD View Post
                      officers that are hardworking and get overtime are now put on the bench and not allowed to work the streets. Any officer that hits 200 hours in their overtime bank has to take weeks off to compensate for it, so not only are there less hard working officers on the street but there are just plain less officers working.
                      Thats crazy they're making you burn your comp time. We're able to bank up to 480 hrs in comp time. Just about every spot of o/t right now is comp time for us, but they don't make us burn our comp time and I don't believe they can make us burn it. Obviously if you're max out, you don't work. There was talk about the county raising our max to 800 hrs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Our comp time bank can go up to 400 hours, they dept made a special order forcing guys to burn any time over 250 hours. It's BS, in my division RIGHT NOW since 0245 there are 10 Officers on duty, including the Watch commander, field Sgt, desk officer and kit room Officer. That leaves 6 officers on patrol, one unit is stuck at the hospital babysitting a suspect, another is at the station with one in custody. That leaves 1 unit to handle the 13 square mile area in south LA all alone.

                        Good job city council and Mayor Idiot. You are all doing a fine job signing checks for gang interventionists to start drug enterprises instead of paying cops.
                        Last edited by mtxpro752; 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM.
                        Originally Posted by VegasMetro
                        maybe it’s me but I think a six pack and midget porn makes for good times?????

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This has been going on for a while, Homicide Dets are on call when they are off so they get overtime just for being on call. They have to take off a week every month just for On Call OT.

                          At least we aren't having a massive jump in the homicide rate right now...oh wait.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wow, I can't believe how much a city council member makes... you folks at LAPD how is the new Chief doing?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
                              This is why the federal government went to the LEAP system for investigators. We aren't factory workers, there is no bell that says when the job is done. We work until the job is done, which sometimes means 24 hours straight or longer.

                              I have grown to like the LEAP system. Obviously I would make more if we were paid OT hour for hour, but I kind of like not having to worry about keeping track of hours, getting OT slips approved, etc. It's just one less administrative task that distracts from casework.
                              I'd say you are in the minority on that. Most people would be willing to do 10 minutes of paper work every two weeks for a big raise.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 17048 users online. 524 members and 16524 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X