Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yikes! Talk about some misinformation here.... Yes you can travel with live ammo. No you're not arming a local thug as your bag gets special treatment: I was flying back and my flights got all messed up, and my luggage arrived before I did and instead of having it sitting out there in the public area waiting to be picked up they pulled it before it got to the outside spinner and an airline rep directed me to the baggage office as soon as I landed to claim my checked in luggage.

Anyways, here's the scoop: you have to lock your firearm in a hard container with a combination or key lock that YOU retain the combination/key to (I recommend combination). Then you lock that in your suitcase and in that suitcase you can have AMMO in a manufacturer container (so the box you buy ammo in is fine: bottom line is that primer has to be covered). Oh yeah... your firearm better be UNLOADED before you get to the airport.

Now... what I do is I use a pelican case for my check in luggage and I lock it using NON TSA Locks. Inside of the Pelican case I have my hard sided box that is also locked using a NON TSA lock. When I arrive at the airport I decalre upon checkin that I have a firearm. They ask me to open my luggage, give me a tag that I sign that says it's unloaded then I lock everything up and proceed to TSA people and give them the luggage and notify them that it's got a checked firearm. THey ask me to wait and as soon as they scan it they come back and give me thumbs up. IF they need to open the luggage YOU HAVE TO BE PRESENT (look at the TSA website for rules and regulations for traveling with firearms) hence non TSA locks.

I've flown with a checked firearm probably close to 20 times in last 12 months and I have never had any issues. Actually I think my luggage gets better treatment If you have questions, shoot me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
      Been asking myself that for a while lately- most of the terminal TSA units seem to act different from terminal to terminal( and man, they sure love to find "dope",just hope they are turning over EVERYTHING they find).Lately though ,they've been stopping alot of military personnel with firearms in transit, and the issue about the ammo has been about total seperation from firearm in baggage,which doesn't make sense to me- most are flying to western states that allow concealed carry, and a suitcase in hold luggage, can't be accessed in flight anyway( unless you are Mcguyver)............
      Ammo is a non issue if it's in original box.
      http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

Comment

Originally posted by SaRDep View Post
        Yes you can travel with live ammo.
        I flew out of LAX two weeks ago. Checked my gun like any other airport. Locked box etc... and yes my live ammo was in my bag with my gun in its original ammo box. I have flown many times recently the same way. Ammo is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
          1) Make sure you have them in a locked strong box or gun carrier, and make sure you DO NOT ship live ammo( TSA will simply stop the bag from flying,and you wil probably be "forced" to "allow" the ammo to be confiscated by Airport PD)
          Sorry... but I have to call BS On it

2) Declare the weapon(s) at the check in counter,and fill out whatever forms they require.DO NOT hand carry the weapon to the screening stations, and make sure if you have to have your bag pre -screened, notify the TSA agent, and advise him/her ,or their supv. you have a checked firearm in your baggage( or else they will notify Airport PD to resond and investigate as if you are potentially in violation of 12025(a)1/12031(a)1 PC)
          OK, that's pretty much good... except there is only a card to sign that states that the firearm is unloaded.
          3) make sure your flight is a non stop on( no lay overs or connectors- this is the easiest way to have your firearms STOLEN,as in transit connectors lead to alot of pilferage of baggage and valuables)
          If you pack it right then it's a non issue: only threat you have is to loose all of the baggage.
          Some folks may disagree with me or have different experiences, but I'm only giving my 22+ yrs of experience of dealing with folks and guns at the airport.....
          Well... many things must have changed as you got at the very least the ammo part wrong....

Comment

Originally posted by SaRDep View Post
            Sorry... but I have to call BS On it

OK, that's pretty much good... except there is only a card to sign that states that the firearm is unloaded.

If you pack it right then it's a non issue: only threat you have is to loose all of the baggage.

Well... many things must have changed as you got at the very least the ammo part wrong....
            I'm glad someone with actual experience chimed in. Everything you stated has been my experience and LAX and I have flown out of there with firearms more times than I can count.

Comment

Oh, I'm sooo sorry ,I stated my "opinion"( plus knowledge from what I SEE working out at LAX) believe what you want, but I have taken rpts and seen far too many people in the past complaining about the missing guns( a citizen called today at the front desk about losing one "in transit"- a common method in which items are stolen from passengers as it often happens when luggage is transferred during connecting flights). Nice that you know the ALL the basics about how the TSA handles everything( which they don't), but try and file a rpt with them if your gun goes "bye bye"( ahh, they don't take reports,won't investigate it,and could care less)

If you have done it time and again, and nothing happens- groovy, but don't get too comfortable( or naive) thinking that its the smartest thing in the world to do. But to each ,his own. and sadly- yes, those "ramp rats" have access to xray machines as well, and still pilfer bags for their "homies" and themselves( despite our routine arrest of employees doing it) I'm not a hunter, but I happen to be very zealous about where my guns are or go(I never leave them in my car, and lock them in a safe at home).If you think a nylon bag and .25 cent lock is all you need to keep yours safe, good for you...

SaRDep- don't know(or care) if you work at a major airport, but I do, and I see what goes on here daily.The TSA doesn't always follow their own procedures to the letter, and its a pain to guys I work with! last week they wanted a girl arrested for a having a "suspicious powder" they DECIDED was cocaine( they have neither statutory authority, nor training in narco investigations),despite the Johnson and Johnson bottle in her bag,and recently they had a hissy fit cause we wouldn't arrest a 1st Sgt from fort Lewis for having "too much packed ammo" with his .45 XD.They don't know the law, and at times seem oblivious to whats legal or not.

And I have also personally arrested TSA employees pilfering bags, so but little is done to ensure they don't continue to commit criminal acts against passengers by their own people.We had an officer in surveillance who recorded them time and again for months in different terminals stealing things from bags- end result? TSA mgm't filed a complaint on that officer( he then retired instead of putting up with the B.S.), and nothing was done to several of the employees and a few supervisors.

as I've said, if its the issue of convenience in flying with your firearm in a bag you are concerned about, fine- yeah you are right that its not often a big hassle. but if you are concerned about the potential to lose it, I STAND on what I've previously posted.
              Last edited by DOAcop38; 04-07-2010, 11:30 PM.
              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by Reservetobe View Post
                2 hours is fine. The few extra steps don't take much time.
                Thanks for answering my question.
                "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

2) Declare the weapon(s) at the check in counter,and fill out whatever forms they require.DO NOT hand carry the weapon to the screening stations, and make sure if you have to have your bag pre -screened, notify the TSA agent, and advise him/her ,or their supv. you have a checked firearm in your baggage( or else they will notify Airport PD to resond and investigate as if you are potentially in violation of 12025(a)1/12031(a)1 PC)
                  If it is a peace officer, I do not believe you can enforce either of the two above violations. You may be in violation of some federal statute or regulation but as a peace officer you would not be violating those penal codes.
                  Nemo me impune lacessit.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9126 users online. 279 members and 8847 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X