300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking firearm through LAX

Will be flying out of LAX later this month with a checked firearm. Anyone with experience checking a firearm through LAX know if it's much of a hassle there? Is 2 hours still enough time to plan for security or should I plan more.

Thanks.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

basically you are taking a chance on "arming" a local thug. The Airport employees alot of "interesting" people( the airlines and contract companies)- Plenty of "Yet to be arrested" Lennox 13,Inglewood Family Bloods,Rollin '60s,Tongan Crips working out on the airfield, with access to xray machines, and who know what bags are specifically tagged as. While gun thefts are rare for the shear volume of flights an passengers, they still do occur.My advice is this

1) Make sure you have them in a locked strong box or gun carrier, and make sure you DO NOT ship live ammo( TSA will simply stop the bag from flying,and you wil probably be "forced" to "allow" the ammo to be confiscated by Airport PD)

2) Declare the weapon(s) at the check in counter,and fill out whatever forms they require.DO NOT hand carry the weapon to the screening stations, and make sure if you have to have your bag pre -screened, notify the TSA agent, and advise him/her ,or their supv. you have a checked firearm in your baggage( or else they will notify Airport PD to resond and investigate as if you are potentially in violation of 12025(a)1/12031(a)1 PC)

3) make sure your flight is a non stop on( no lay overs or connectors- this is the easiest way to have your firearms STOLEN,as in transit connectors lead to alot of pilferage of baggage and valuables)

Some folks may disagree with me or have different experiences, but I'm only giving my 22+ yrs of experience of dealing with folks and guns at the airport.....
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post

1) Make sure you have them in a locked strong box or gun carrier, and make sure you DO NOT ship live ammo( TSA will simply stop the bag from flying,and you wil probably be "forced" to "allow" the ammo to be confiscated by Airport PD)
      I have to fly out for some training and then from there a wedding later this year and was going to bring my gun. I thought the ammo was good as long as it was in an original box. Does TSA have a new policy on ammo or are they just "going the extra mile".
      "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

LAX is a crap hole, no offense to any of you who work there. The traffic is horrible, people are rude, and the airport looks like a dump. I'm glad I work at ONT.

Comment

I sense a rivalry brewing...
          ____________ _____________
          "Those Who Stand For Nothing, Fall For Anything" - Alexander Hamilton

Comment

I got popcorn, beer, and dip. I'm just waiting for the commercials to end.
            Electric Avenue.

Comment

I go hunting every year and fly with my firearms and ammo out of LAX. Locked hardcase is required. Ammo must be separate from firearms and not required to be locked. All must be checked into baggage.

In 12 years of doing so, have never had an issue, and I travel with a group of 20+ hunters.

Comment

I'm very familier with the requirements I'm just wondering if I need to plan a significant amount of extra time at LAX or if 2 hours is typically enough.

Thank
                "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by bigeagle View Post
                  I'm very familier with the requirements I'm just wondering if I need to plan a significant amount of extra time at LAX or if 2 hours is typically enough.

Thank
                  2 hours is fine. The few extra steps don't take much time.

Comment

ONT/LAX- "same company,same problem"....

Originally posted by Don951 View Post
                    LAX is a crap hole, no offense to any of you who work there. The traffic is horrible, people are rude, and the airport looks like a dump. I'm glad I work at ONT.
                    LOLOLOLOL!!!! Soon to be "sold" Ontario ?????!!!! Who knows, maybe this time "privatizing" might actually fix something!!! Besides, who flys out of the "sticks ?"(......"welcome to Ontario Ariport, where you can step out of your trailer,eerrr home, don't have to worry about bathing, and can KEEP your meth pipe as you board the aircraft"- shoes and shirt optional.........)

.. and yup, LAX is a dump- too damn crowded for actual use, serious polluter to the local community, and the #2 TERRORIST target in the nation( from CIA and SF discoveries of "mock ups" of LAX in Al Qaeda caves in Afghanistan), but hey, its also the #3 Airport in the US, and a multi billion dollar operation that supplements the EXISTENCE of money drain ONT- LAX is the "model" for the lovely gateway to L.A. itself; another overcrowded,polluted,cesspool of terror and danger- and 6ft tall blonds( some probably trannies) rappers with Bmw's,midwestern girls who tattoo themselves and wear skimpy clothes to be "discovered", and waiters with screen plays..........)

anyway- anybody else flying out with guns?
                    Last edited by DOAcop38; 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM.
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
                      I have to fly out for some training and then from there a wedding later this year and was going to bring my gun. I thought the ammo was good as long as it was in an original box. Does TSA have a new policy on ammo or are they just "going the extra mile".
                      Been asking myself that for a while lately- most of the terminal TSA units seem to act different from terminal to terminal( and man, they sure love to find "dope",just hope they are turning over EVERYTHING they find).Lately though ,they've been stopping alot of military personnel with firearms in transit, and the issue about the ammo has been about total seperation from firearm in baggage,which doesn't make sense to me- most are flying to western states that allow concealed carry, and a suitcase in hold luggage, can't be accessed in flight anyway( unless you are Mcguyver)............
                      Last edited by DOAcop38; 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

My buddy flew from JFK airport and when he told the NY coppers that he was LAPD, they pretty much treated him like royalty. They pretty much cut all the BS out and walked him past security then let him watch the bag get loaded onto the plane. I wish LAX was like that.
                        LAPD

Comment

Originally posted by Berlioz View Post
                          My buddy flew from JFK airport and when he told the NY coppers that he was LAPD, they pretty much treated him like royalty. They pretty much cut all the BS out and walked him past security then let him watch the bag get loaded onto the plane. I wish LAX was like that.
                          I'm glad to see some professional courtesy toward another department, that crap on the freeway a couple weeks ago with one your LAPD captains in full uniform and in a LAPD issued car with her lights mounted inside was C.S. but good glad to see NYPD being cool.

Comment

Originally posted by 240W1 View Post
                            I'm glad to see some professional courtesy toward another department, that crap on the freeway a couple weeks ago with one your LAPD captains in full uniform and in a LAPD issued car with her lights mounted inside was C.S. but good glad to see NYPD being cool.
                            I didnt hear about that. What happened?
                            LAPD

Comment

Originally posted by Berlioz View Post
                              I didnt hear about that. What happened?
                              PM sent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13169 users online. 333 members and 12836 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X