300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a CCW permit?

I'm in the process of applying for departments in the bay area and am considering applying for a CCW permit. My reason is that I live in a VERY rural area (off the 299 in northern california, pop < 1200), and the 911 response time can be as long as 10-20 min. The only thing that I'm concerned about is how the departments for which I am applying would view that. Are CCW permits frowned upon by potential employers? I don't see why it would be a problem but wanted get some feedback.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ERMJ; 03-30-2010, 02:26 PM. Reason: Misspelling

You are worried about response time to your home? Nothing beats a shotgun for home defense and you won't need a permit. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by ERMJ View Post
      I'm in the process of applying for departments in the bay area and am considering applying for a CCW permit. My reason is that I live in a VERY rural area (off the 299 in northern california, pop < 1200), and the 911 response time can be as long as 10-20 min. The only thing that I'm concerned about is how the departments for which I am applying would view that. Are CCW permits frowned upon by potential employers? I don't see why it would be a problem but wanted get some feedback.

Thanks in advance!
      CCW permits are extremely difficult to obtain in CA. The reason you have offered is insufficient for issuance. Why don't you just wait until you are hired and can carry without having to worry?

After all, you have lived where you live for a while now. Have you experienced the need to have a weapon? I doubt it!

When I did backgrounds I often queried an applicant who possessed a permit. Their answers were used as part of my personal evaluation as to their aggression level, passive level, individual personality, etc.

Now, if you were living in a major city, you may have need to fear for your personal safety; but, where you live is not a hot bed of criminal activity.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

You don't need a ccw to carry on your own private property.

Comment

I really doubt that a Sheriff will issue you a CCW just because you say that his Deputies have a slow response time. Some counties are easier to get them in, but when they are given it is usually because the person is a domestic violence victim, or because of the type of business they are in. If you want to have a gun in your home....go buy one. Go buy 10 or 50. Why do you need a CCW though?

Also, you seeking a CCW will not effect your background unless your reasons for doing so are shady.
          "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

there are actually several counties in california that are CCW friendly, especially with all the inmates being released, unfortunately, the major metropolitan areas are not. LA, san fran, sacramento and san diego are not. Despite the fact that LAPD has a standing shall issue court order regarding CCW they continue to refuse to abide by it.

Comment

Originally posted by BanditLAPD View Post
              there are actually several counties in california that are CCW friendly, especially with all the inmates being released, unfortunately, the major metropolitan areas are not. LA, san fran, sacramento and san diego are not. Despite the fact that LAPD has a standing shall issue court order regarding CCW they continue to refuse to abide by it.
              Humboldt is quite CCW friendly, and I know several folks who have their permits for the reasons I listed above. I think, though, I'll take folks' advice and hold off for the time being. Besides, pepper spray is a better choice for tweakers and their dogs.

For kicks, here's some info on the former police chief of my small town...
              http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.co...op-on-cop.html
              Last edited by ERMJ; 04-04-2010, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I'm going to tell everyone a little story here; what you think about this story is up to you.

In June 2005, I had been out of law enforcement for a while and lived in a community that seemed to be very safe. On that night, I was at my church checking the doors and making sure that everything was secure when I was confronted by an individual wearing all black along with a hoodie to conceal any identifying marks he may have had. About the only description I had was that the individual was MNA, 6'2", and 175 lbs.

When the individual confronted me, we looked at each other and then he attacked me with a knife. I was stabbed 9 times in the head, neck, and back. Ultimately, the injuries resulted in a loss of 1 liter of blood and a punctured lung (pneumothorax). After the attack, I stood my ground as this maggot demanded money from me. Since all I carried was my drivers license, I looked him squarely in the eye and told him that I didn't have any money. The individual then began to approach me and I backed away to keep some distance between him and I. As he continued to demand money, I remained calm, refused to show fear, and basically told him that he was wasting his time, because I didn't have a dime on me. This waste of human skin finally got the hint that he wasn't going to get anything from me and ran away.

After the attack, I became very short of breath because of my collapsed lung, and so once I got a CHP dispatcher on my cell phone, I simply put out an 11-99. Ultimately, police and fire units arrived, and I was taken by chopper to a hospital because of my deteriorating condition at the time. The bottom line is, I didn't have a firearm with me to defend myself, I was in a parking lot in an area where there was no one else but him and I. My cellphone was in my car, and I was unable to get to it while I was being attacked. I fully believe that had I been a smaller person and/or female, a lot worse would have happened to me. To date, the agency that did the investigation never found the individual.

I am a strong advocate of a persons right to carry a firearm for self defense no matter where a person lives. An attack can occur anyplace and at anytime, it doesn't matter how rural or urban a community is. Because of this incident, I think it's foolish to suggest that a person who chooses to carry a firearm is some kind of aggressive gun nut with a John Wayne personality. As law enforcement officers, one of the percs of the job is that we can carry anytime, and for the most part, anywhere. I think it's insane to suggest that a law abiding citizen has less need than we do for a firearm.
                Last edited by piper9285; 04-05-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by piper9285 View Post
                  I'm going to tell everyone a little story here; what you think about this story is up to you.

In June 2005, I had been out of law enforcement for a while and lived in a community that seemed to be very safe. On that night, I was at my church checking the doors and making sure that everything was secure when I was confronted by an individual wearing all black along with a hoodie to conceal any identifying marks he may have had. About the only description I had was that the individual was MNA, 6'2", and 175 lbs.

When the individual confronted me, we looked at each other and then he attacked me with a knife. I was stabbed 9 times in the head, neck, and back. Ultimately, the injuries resulted in a loss of 1 liter of blood and a punctured lung (pneumothorax). After the attack, I stood my ground as this maggot demanded money from me. Since all I carried was my drivers license, I looked him squarely in the eye and told him that I didn't have any money. The individual then began to approach me and I backed away to keep some distance between him and I. As he continued to demand money, I remained calm, refused to show fear, and basically told him that he was wasting his time, because I didn't have a dime on me. This waste of human skin finally got the hint that he wasn't going to get anything from me and ran away.

After the attack, I became very short of breath because of my collapsed lung, and so once I got a CHP dispatcher on my cell phone, I simply put out an 11-99. Ultimately, police and fire units arrived, and I was taken by chopper to a hospital because of my deteriorating condition at the time. The bottom line is, I didn't have a firearm with me to defend myself, I was in a parking lot in an area where there was no one else but him and I. My cellphone was in my car, and I was unable to get to it while I was being attacked. I fully believe that had I been a smaller person and/or female, a lot worse would have happened to me. To date, the agency that did the investigation never found the individual.

I am a strong advocate of a persons right to carry a firearm for self defense no matter where a person lives. An attack can occur anyplace and at anytime, it doesn't matter how rural or urban a community is. Because of this incident, I think it's foolish to suggest that a person who chooses to carry a firearm is some kind of aggressive gun nut with a John Wayne personality. As law enforcement officers, one of the percs of the job is that we can carry anytime, and for the most part, anywhere. I think it's insane to suggest that a law abiding citizen has less need than we do for a firearm.
                  Whats incredible is that most of the departments out here, like LAPD, LASO will say that they have all the resources to handle any situation and that citizens dont need guns or ccw blah blah blah, its so stupid that you dont even know where to begin. 39 states have a shall issue ccw law and there are a few officials that have attempted to change the law to a shall issue but have been shot down continually. Wish someone could talk some sense into the retards running this state.

Comment

Couldn't agree more (no disrespect on LEO's) and Cali could use the money by charging Law Abiding citizens fees for CCW's. Kind of like the BSIS does with Exposed firearm permitts.

Originally posted by BanditLAPD View Post
                    Whats incredible is that most of the departments out here, like LAPD, LASO will say that they have all the resources to handle any situation and that citizens dont need guns or ccw blah blah blah, its so stupid that you dont even know where to begin. 39 states have a shall issue ccw law and there are a few officials that have attempted to change the law to a shall issue but have been shot down continually. Wish someone could talk some sense into the retards running this state.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19749 users online. 545 members and 19204 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X