Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa monica Pd, any info, good ? bad?

Any info on Santa Monica PD would help, good,bad, great equipment, busy, time for pro-activity or just call to call? Thx for the help

I have heard a lot of good things about SMPD: high pay, good equipment, hot girls and good places to eat!! What more could you ask for lol....i could be wrong but I dont think they have to chase radio calls all day...hopefully someone who actually works there will be able to provide better info...

Comment

Thx for the info, much appreciated

Comment

Edited due to question being off topic.
        Last edited by tool; 03-25-2010, 08:41 PM. Reason: Off Topic

Comment

Per a former SMPD officer, a lot of their work involves dealing with transients, due to SMPD's proximity to the beach.

That aside, everything else I know about SMPD is that it's a terrific dept. Pay, equipment, etc. are all excellent.
          “Let him go, Lou. Someone driving that fast has no time for a ticket.”
          -Chief Wiggum

Comment

...and NO MORE BUTTS Jr ( just like us in RD#1494!) ........
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

You better be OK w arresting people for sleeping in public, stretching on the median, dumpster diving and walking a dog without a license. These r a few of SM's
              misdemeanors. I see custodies come in all the time for violating these offenses.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalo View Post
                You better be OK w arresting people for sleeping in public, stretching on the median, dumpster diving and walking a dog without a license. These r a few of SM's
                misdemeanors. I see custodies come in all the time for violating these offenses.
                "police work 101"- it makes the locals happy, and they have less transients, crack head loitering, and crazy pee bums than adjacent "west L.A." ( patrolled by LAPD).alot of those "low grade misd" hooks keep the potential for high grade stuff from happening.....( once saw an aggressive bum get his butt kicked on Wilshire blvd by SMPD, that same bum was bullying people in front of a bar , even grabbing a women who wouldn't give him change- and LAPD never showed up! as soon as he walked two blocks west, he was promptly scooped up by SMPD, when that lady flagged them down...)
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Santa Monica

Come on DOA! I completely agree with controlling your transient population, but SM is in its own little world. They offer more homeless services than any other city in the area yet don't want to deal with the transient population. The mentality is I want to help the homeless I just don't want them living in my backyard. You also failed to mention two out of the four crimes I mentioned. For example, you go out for a run and get stuck at a light in the median and decide to stretch while the light changes, you have now comitted a misdemeanor. Take your dog for a walk without a license, you have now committed a misdemeanor. I work at the courthouse where SM cases are heard and even the judges and lawyers on boths sides sometimes shake their heads.
                  Last edited by buffalo; 03-28-2010, 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Come on DOA! I completely agree with controlling your transient population, but SM is in its own little world. They offer more homeless services than any other city in the area yet don't want to deal with the transient population. The mentality is I want to help the homeless I just don't want them living in my backyard. You also failed to mention two out of the four crimes I mentioned. For example, you go out for a run and get stuck at a light in the median and decide to stretch while the light changes, you have now comitted a misdemeanor. Take your dog for a walk without a license, you have now committed a misdemeanor. I work at the courthouse where SM cases are heard and even the judges and lawyers on boths sides sometimes shake their heads.
                    hey, they gotta do something! come on down to westchester( L.A. and part of LAPD -Pacific area) bums and cart people are now everywhere( the only reason they don't come into LAX is cause they can't get in the terminals anymore with their shopping carts) some are folks down on their luck, but many are mentally ill, on drugs, felons or parolee,or all of these things combined( you can see homeless camps on the rialroad track corridor within eyesight of the LAPD academy on manchester).as sad as it may seem, most so.Cal residents can put up with gun shots, pursuits and local news about the latest( daily) gruesome crime- what they get bent out about is the local baglady dumping her "belongings" all over their lawns, or some crackhead sleeping in a beatup junker parked in front of their home.I didn't say SMPD is the cats meow,as I seen some of the BEST high crime police work done by my LAPD counterparts locally, but for daily "quality of life issues" as well as serious crime, I'd say SMPD does a very good job..........

Comment

I highly doubt... or would hope... some of those offenses you listed would be applied to "problem folks" and not your joe citizen.

Comment

SMPD: One of the three top agencies in Los Angeles County (re: pay and benefits), the city is financially stable and it's "emergency fund" was at least five times that of the City of Los Angeles (even though SM only has a resident population of about 100k citizens), while overtime has been cut over the last 18 months, the city is still hiring officers and non-sworn employees, and officers are in CalPERs "3% @ 50".

It's generally beautiful working environment (the Santa Monica Pier if the single most often filmed "location" for movie/TV production in the world), a beach city at the West end of a major interstate highway (I-10) where the "good" and the "bad" go as soon as Los Angeles County heats up during the summer (lots of activity), the department has excellent opportunities for career enhancement including:
                        past participation in multi-agency task forces, collateral SWAT assignments, regular training inside and outside the organization, the ability to work specialized details much earlier than other local departments (where hiring has slowed or stopped). Their issued safety equipment is outstanding and the department also allows officers to "upgrade" with various approved "options" if the employee wishes to use his/her own funds.

Yea, there's a large transient population, due in part to the fact that the city's location on the coast is usually 10 degrees warmer during the winter than inland and at least 10 degrees cooler during the summer. A lot of these "homeless" are fugitives from justice, often from out of state. If you enjoy looking for "bad guys", think of them as opportunities rather than hindrances (to doing good police work) and you'll learn to enjoy your contacts with them.

Santa Monica has a reputation for being a difficult agency to get hired on to, but (once there) it's a department few will leave to work in "greener pastures."
                        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Sounds like NYPD Impact, except with nicer surroundings.

Comment

I work the beach now down south and see a lot of their $750 warrants (for transient issues) in CLETS. Every time I see one I think- damn they sent another one down here!

And I work giving on tickets and letting people know we won't extradite them from LA county. It's a constant shuffling of the bums.

Transient tickets might be minor, but they are huge quality of life issues.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
                              I work the beach now down south and see a lot of their $750 warrants (for transient issues) in CLETS. Every time I see one I think- damn they sent another one down here!

And I work giving on tickets and letting people know we won't extradite them from LA county. It's a constant shuffling of the bums.

Transient tickets might be minor, but they are huge quality of life issues.
                              don't laugh ,but I ran into a crackhead last year in june I used to jam up on Century blvd all the time(good for 11350 H.S. and 11550 H.S warrants) at mission beach- he said he'd "gone honest" and was selling bootleg laker t-shirts.( yup, "we" dump down in San dog)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16544 users online. 284 members and 16260 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X