Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dont know what to do. Some helpful advice on academies?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont know what to do. Some helpful advice on academies?

Edited due to no longer needed information
    Last edited by DavidMann1987; 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM.

what are you being evicted for?

Comment

Even if you can do the academy, with your finances in your current situation you are not going to pass the background check with most agencies......and that is if you even pass the medical with your knee......
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMann1987 View Post
          My finances effect my background check with departments I will try to apply for after I graduate? How do my finances effect that? Just curious - because if this is true - then I have some serious things to think about.

My knee is fully recovered... but it's just not used to running yet. And I don't know if two/three weeks is enough time to get it in shape.
          Without spotless background, including finances, you have no chance of getting on with a department in this economy. There are 1000s of guys with perfect backgrounds for every open position. Why would a deparment take you if you dont have a PERFECT background? Also, your knee doesnt sound like it will hold out. It will be put through alot of stress.

I dont mean to sound harsh. I think that I am doing you a favor by pointing these facts out. I think that shooting for an academy in 3 weeks is a very bad idea.
          "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

I would look into some financial aid? I just graduated from a academy in the Bay Area last week as a self sponsor. I have perfect credit. Thank god for that because now I have a huge bill to pay back lol. Luckily I am single with no kids. Time is money though. I never want to go through another academy. Having said that, academy costs quickly escalate. I just got hired by a court house doing security. I also will be doing another job on the weekend. FYI I am 26, bachelors degree from a Pac 10 school. I have never gotten a traffic ticket outside of parking. I have never tried any drugs(even MJ) I am applying to a few places and it is like waiting for the cows to come home LOL. Good luck. If you have any questions ask me.

Take everything you hear from this site with a grain of salt. Hell a few years ago they were hiring everyone with a warm bodied temperature. This "cream of the crop, I walk on water " applicant is all nonsense in my opinion. Just have a good attitude and work hard. Good things will come.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMann1987 View Post
              My finances effect my background check with departments I will try to apply for after I graduate? How do my finances effect that?
              Your financial history can show a pattern of responsibility or lack thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja1234 View Post
                Take everything you hear from this site with a grain of salt. Hell a few years ago they were hiring everyone with a warm bodied temperature. This "cream of the crop, I walk on water " applicant is all nonsense in my opinion. Just have a good attitude and work hard. Good things will come.
                Yeah, tell the guy not to listen to the people that have actually been hired. That would be stupid. What the heck would they know.

Comment

This isnt Iran, so I respect everyones opinion. About 10% of our academy class was "hired". One failed out. Just do whatever works for you.
                  Last edited by Ninja1234; 03-23-2010, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja1234 View Post
                    1. You are not a Police Officer and have no insider knowledge, so don't tell people to take advise from real Police with a grain of salt.

2. If you are referring to Police departments as "they", than no, "they" have never hired everyone "with a warm bodied temperature". POST has not lowered their standards in the least. A few years ago it was easier for QUALIFIED people to get hired because there were more positions and far less applicants. Now, there are far less positions and exponentially more applicants. The people applying now have experience in many different jobs, high levels of education AND clean backgrounds. Just "have a good attitude and work hard" does not cut it. You are not qualified to give the bad advise you have given, recruit.
                    "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

It helps to hear some different points of view. The LEO job market is terrible now. However, if the OP is in a position to pull off a academy, his POST will be for 3 years. Things will start opening back up. Life is to short to sit on the sideline and wait for the perfect situation. Anyways I am done with this thread. GL

Comment

thank you all for the different advices you have given. As for my background, I do have a couple tickets from about 2 years ago now. I also am still paying back medical bills that I needed for my knee surgery. The medical bills that I am making miniscule payments on has put a mark on my credit. I do not have any college experience going into the academy... but I'm not going to give up on my dream of becoming a law enforcement officer. Without shooting down my dreams, can you please give me a realistic view of what my chances of being hired are upon graduation with the above situations (I have a clean background. Only thing on my background is two old tickets, and a mark on my credit from making such small payments on my medical bills.)

Also, I will be POST certified for three years, so I'm assuming I should be able to bust my *** and find a job within that time, or is that completely unrealistic??

Comment

If your only background issues are that you have two tickets and a few late medical bill payments, you are not in that bad of shape. You mentioned that you were getting evicted so I pictured a forclosure. That said, you arent bringing much to the table if you have no military background, and no education. Your qualifications would have been fine in the job market three years ago, but there are so many HIGHLY qualified people with no speeding tickets and perfect credit right now. Anyway, good luck to you.

Comment

Comment

You should focus on getting physically prepared if you are planning on going into a full time academy(sounds like you are). Especially if you are planning to self sponsor. You don't want to be "that guy" holding the class up during PT.

My advise to you, as a recent academy graduate is to go in there prepared physically/mentally to do the job and leave the drama at home. My .02....
                              FCPA Class #36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11773 users online. 240 members and 11533 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X