300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a shot!

Well this is my first post. I recently got hired to become a paid reserve. I was getting really discouraged with this whole hiring fiasco here in California. Most of these agencies are just putting people through the motions when they hire very few or no one at all. I heard that agencies have interviews just to keep funding for the recruiting department (don't know if this is true but sounds possible), but enough about that.

To everyone looking out there, don't give up (I know that sounds corny). I beat the odds and got hired in this economy and I don't have a degree, military experience, or have a "connection" at the department. What I'm trying to say is, if i could do it, so can you (another corny one). I got hired by a really good department and got turned by a bunch of lower profile departments, weird huh?

Keep your head up if you are like me and been turned down by a bunch of places. Keep applying and keep that background clean. Wish me luck guys.

Well done!

Did you go through the Academy on your own dime, or have to relocate?

Comment

Thanks, I went through on my own dime. I was broke and I lived at home at the time and had very few bills, I was really lucky. I don't know how the guys with families do it. I give those guys all the credit.

Comment

Good job, congrats man! Way to keep the faith alive. You're my hero for the week.

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
          Good job, congrats man! Way to keep the faith alive. You're my hero for the week.
          Haha thanks man, at least I'm someone's hero lol.

Comment

Awesome, congrats! Have fun going 10-8 and do everything possible to establish a good reputation and eventually it will lead to full-time.

Comment

Good job. Your reputation in the LE community starts now. And believe me, good or bad it will follow you. Just hang on, your definitely at the front of the line when your agency starts hiring again. From today forward, whatever agency you work for right now is the agency you have always wanted to work for and as far as anyone else knows, you plan on retiring from that agency. or at least thats what you tell them!

Comment

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear yea.

When I apply I give it my all, because the ONE time an agency is actually legitimate in their openings and selection process I don’t want to have slacked off on my efforts to be beat out by someone else with more energy and tolerance at this stage.

I wasted 5 months with an agency recently trying to focus on just them. I passed the poly and pysch only to have the plug pulled 5 months later. I could have been applying to others the whole time.

It is a rather ridicules process that is essentially impossible to take seriously.

Next week I’ll be starting another application since the recent one I’ve applied too is holding off on an oral board as they wait for more candidates to get to that part of the stage.

To me that means I need to move on.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I know what you mean SCV.

I hate having too many applications going at once. Every app I have gone through, I put my all, preparing, practicing and to have things pulled is just a dreadful feeling.

Thing is, the agency im processing with right now is the one i've had my sights on for a good while now and have held my life on hold just for them waiting for the process to continue.

I just hope things roll further soon. It just feels like im on a conveyor belt waiting for it to just move forward and just complete me lol.

Good luck to you guys! Keep your head up and learn to move forward!
                  Last edited by AirWind23; 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM.
                  Consistency isn't always good. Especially if you are consistently wrong.
                  Certified Private Pilot

Comment

SCV,

What is so "ridiculous" about it? That fact that you were found wanting and did not get picked up? You really need to lose the holier than thou attitude. You don't have what it takes and you are contradicting yourself each time you post.

Go work at BK. You have a shot there.
                    Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

I have to say, I wouldn't call the process ridiculous, it's definitely not like any other "normal" process for a career. It takes a lot of patience, determination, and pro-activeness.

It does get frustrated at times, but no news is good news like it has been said before. Just have to go as it comes to you.
                      Consistency isn't always good. Especially if you are consistently wrong.
                      Certified Private Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by bayfan View Post
                        Well this is my first post. I recently got hired to become a paid reserve. I was getting really discouraged with this whole hiring fiasco here in California. Most of these agencies are just putting people through the motions when they hire very few or no one at all. I heard that agencies have interviews just to keep funding for the recruiting department (don't know if this is true but sounds possible), but enough about that.

To everyone looking out there, don't give up (I know that sounds corny). I beat the odds and got hired in this economy and I don't have a degree, military experience, or have a "connection" at the department. What I'm trying to say is, if i could do it, so can you (another corny one). I got hired by a really good department and got turned by a bunch of lower profile departments, weird huh?

Keep your head up if you are like me and been turned down by a bunch of places. Keep applying and keep that background clean. Wish me luck guys.
                        2 points here- 1) GOOD job and good luck !! maybe a full time gig will come out of this 2) CHECK YOUR ATTITUDE NOW!!! Being "turned down" is part of the game- agencies have literally THOUSANDS of applicants ,and just because you "think" you are good to go, doesn't mean that there won't be a guy/gal out there who will walk in right behind you , and wow the dept far better than you did! As you have just discovered, getting hired onto an agency isn't like applying for home depot. And in this economic crunch alot of agencies are sadly wishing they could put thru the #s they need, but many don't have the money. Add to that the " I just need a paycheck" applicants coming out of the woodworks, and the process gets tougher

I work for the City of L.A., and our city councils "we can spend as much as we want, anytime we want" mindset has hurt us just as much as this "mini depression" we are facing. LAPD/LA PORT PD/LA AIRPORT PD/ LA GSD PD all need candidates from the applicant pool, but money is tight- Personnel still has to "try" and take applications, as a min, of 60-80 officers a month are leaving due to retirements,illness or other reasons. Its definitley not "just going through the motions" for many depts, as the process to get one viable recruit is costly and time consuming.

Lastly- DUMP that "premium agency/lesser agency" B.S. as well- you are new to your dept( which one?) and you don't know even a 10th of the B.S. that may be going on, much less what the future holds for that agency.You will sooner or later- if you make this a career , be working with other agencies, including some that may have turned down your application - big deal, get over it. Focus on learning as much as you can, and on maintaining and improving your position with the Dept.You want to go full time, or at least have a solid Level I status and a Basic POST certification to allow you the option of laterlling to another agency if the economy picks up and you can't go full time where you are. there is still probation to be passed- focus on that and live one day at a time in your new L.E. capacity. Once again, good job and good luck....
                        Last edited by DOAcop38; 03-17-2010, 11:48 PM.
                        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                          SCV,

What is so "ridiculous" about it? That fact that you were found wanting and did not get picked up? You really need to lose the holier than thou attitude. You don't have what it takes and you are contradicting yourself each time you post.

Go work at BK. You have a shot there.
                          PM sent a while back

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                          - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                            2 points here- 1) GOOD job and good luck !! maybe a full time gig will come out of this 2) CHECK YOUR ATTITUDE NOW!!! Being "turned down" is part of the game- agencies have literally THOUSANDS of applicants ,and just because you "think" you are good to go, doesn't mean that there won't be a guy/gal out there who will walk in right behind you , and wow the dept far better than you did! As you have just discovered, getting hired onto an agency isn't like applying for home depot. And in this economic crunch alot of agencies are sadly wishing they could put thru the #s they need, but many don't have the money. Add to that the " I just need a paycheck" applicants coming out of the woodworks, and the process gets tougher

I work for the City of L.A., and our city councils "we can spend as much as we want, anytime we want" mindset has hurt us just as much as this "mini depression" we are facing. LAPD/LA PORT PD/LA AIRPORT PD/ LA GSD PD all need candidates from the applicant pool, but money is tight- Personnel still has to "try" and take applications, as a min, of 60-80 officers a month are leaving due to retirements,illness or other reasons. Its definitley not "just going through the motions" for many depts, as the process to get one viable recruit is costly and time consuming.

Lastly- DUMP that "premium agency/lesser agency" B.S. as well- you are new to your dept( which one?) and you don't know even a 10th of the B.S. that may be going on, much less what the future holds for that agency.You will sooner or later- if you make this a career , be working with other agencies, including some that may have turned down your application - big deal, get over it. Focus on learning as much as you can, and on maintaining and improving your position with the Dept.You want to go full time, or at least have a solid Level I status and a Basic POST certification to allow you the option of laterlling to another agency if the economy picks up and you can't go full time where you are. there is still probation to be passed- focus on that and live one day at a time in your new L.E. capacity. Once again, good job and good luck....
                            I never said this was a premium agency or that I was turned by "lesser" departments. I said lower profile departments. By that I mean departments that have may have less room for growth or that have greater economic hardships. Don't think for one second I hold my self above any department. And the whole "turned down" comment was me just blowing off some steam. Anyone in my shoes understands where I'm coming from on that. I'm a humble person and with all due respect I take exception to your "attitude" comment sir.

Comment

Ya, not too many departments pay their reserves. And yes I'm sworn

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12899 users online. 392 members and 12507 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X