300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Officers shot near Fresno, Damn it not again

I learned that "In the line of Duty deaths" were up 900% in late January (as opposed to last year). My agency stresses officer safety, but I think if it's going to happen, then it's going to happen.

I just try and do everything possible to minimize becoming an easy target and like someone once said "Don't get ready. Stay ready".

BREAKING NEWS
    NBC, msnbc.com and news service

FRESNO, Calif. - A suspect in an arson opened fire Thursday on deputies and a fire investigator trying to serve an arrest warrant, authorities said. Three law-enforcement officers were shot.

The victims were taken to a local hospital. Two officers — a Fresno County sheriff's deputy shot in the side under his armpit and a Reedley police officer wounded in the head — were in critical condition, The Fresno Bee reported.

A third officer, a sheriff's deputy, was shot in the shoulder. His condition was not known, the Bee reported.
    A witness, Bret McArron, told KSEE-TV the shooting occurred at a house in an impoverished neighborhood with a lot of mobile homes in the community of Minkler in eastern Fresno County.

The gunman barricaded himself inside the house and fire repeatedly on law enforcement officials, sheriff's spokesman Chris Curtice said.

Jim Stone, 46, who lives about 100 feet from the surrounded home, said he was evacuated after the shooting erupted. Stone said he heard what sounded like hundreds of shots.

Warrant service is right up there with domestics when it comes to officer violence and OIS incidents.

Prayers go out to the wounded, their families and agencies.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

1 Deputy killed during the warrant service, 1 wounded. 1 Reedley PD Officer was shot and killed on perimeter.

Comment

updated at 1755 hours.

The suspect accused of killing a Fresno County sheriff's deputy and wounding other lawmen was found dead inside the mobile home where he had been barricaded for most of the day.

Sheriff Margaret Mims told the Fresno Bee that deputies discovered the body around 5 p.m. when they entered the trailer. The deputy was killed when he and others were investigating reports of arson and shots fired at the mobile home in a small community east of Fresno.

Fresno television station KMPH-TV Channel 26 is reporting that Reedley Police Officer Javier Bejar is on life support and is not expected to recover, Reedley City Manager Rocky Rogers said.

Authorities arrived at the scene in the 18200 block of Kings Canyon Road in Minkler, about 20 miles east of Fresno, about 9:40 a.m. to serve the suspect and were met by gunfire, Fresno County sheriff’s spokesman Chris Curtice said.

Two deputies and a Reedley police officer, who arrived later, were shot. They were taken to Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno. Authorities could not confirm whether a fourth officer had also been taken to the hospital.

The suspect continued to exchange gunfire with officers who surrounded the trailer Thursday afternoon, authorities said. About 200 officers were on the scene, Curtice said.
        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

This is awfull news. Prayers enroute.

Comment

Very sad day for California =(
            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I did two ride alongs with Officer Bejar, before I was hired by another agency. He blew me away with his professionalism, dedication to his job, and proactive attitude. He was always the first to jump on a call for service and was the epitome of what a cop should be. You will be missed brother.

Comment

Rest in Peace. God Bless.

Comment

Originally posted by sgttom View Post
                  updated at 1755 hours.

The suspect accused of killing a Fresno County sheriff's deputy and wounding other lawmen was found dead inside the mobile home where he had been barricaded for most of the day.

Sheriff Margaret Mims told the Fresno Bee that deputies discovered the body around 5 p.m. when they entered the trailer. The deputy was killed when he and others were investigating reports of arson and shots fired at the mobile home in a small community east of Fresno.

Fresno television station KMPH-TV Channel 26 is reporting that Reedley Police Officer Javier Bejar is on life support and is not expected to recover, Reedley City Manager Rocky Rogers said.

Authorities arrived at the scene in the 18200 block of Kings Canyon Road in Minkler, about 20 miles east of Fresno, about 9:40 a.m. to serve the suspect and were met by gunfire, Fresno County sheriff’s spokesman Chris Curtice said.

Two deputies and a Reedley police officer, who arrived later, were shot. They were taken to Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno. Authorities could not confirm whether a fourth officer had also been taken to the hospital.

The suspect continued to exchange gunfire with officers who surrounded the trailer Thursday afternoon, authorities said. About 200 officers were on the scene, Curtice said.

...yet "another" law abiding citizen with hi cap assault rifle and that "you'll never take me alive" mindset.I know there are plenty of folks here who have that ,"its part of the job" mindset, but will the loss of those two officers ever come up in all the arguements we see here about people screaming that the gov't is disarming them?"doubtful" as most could care less.

All I see is that two men are now taken from their loved ones by an a-hole that probably wouldn't have gotten nothing more than PROBATION.....
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I thought he was a convicted felon prior to this incident. If so, he wasn't a law abiding citizen with a firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by Zam View Post
                      I thought he was a convicted felon prior to this incident. If so, he wasn't a law abiding citizen with a firearm.
                      didn't read that- and he had a Ca. guard card- BSIS doesn't allow convicted felons to possess or attain guard cards.....I believe the search warrant that led to this shooting incident was based on the 246 PC violation(?)
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I think the warrant was for 451 (arson), but it could've been for 246 also. The suspect alledgedly shot out the windows of a convenience store near his house sometime before this incident. Here's a more recent article:

http://www.officer.com/online/articl...ion=1&id=50917

By TRACIE CONE and GARANCE BURKE
                        Associated Press Writers

FRESNO, Calif. --

The California man who authorities say killed one law enforcement officer and wounded two others in a gun fight at his mobile home was a paranoid private security guard who kept a gun collection and told his wife he would rather die than go to prison.

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer identified Rick "Ricky" Ray Liles, 51, on Friday as the shooter and said he had been taking medication for depression and likely took his own life with a gunshot to his head during the Thursday shootout.

"He made a statement that he would not go to prison. Before going, he would take the lives of several officers before taking his own life," Dyer said.

Public records and accounts by officials portray Liles as a loner who came to the attention of Fresno County authorities investigating shots fired and a string of arson blazes in the village of Minkler on the highway to Kings Canyon National Park.

Liles was named in a search warrant involving the shed fires and gunshots that was being served just before the melee erupted.

Diane Liles, the gunman's wife, survived the gunbattle in which as many as 400 rounds were fired at the trailer by up to 25 deputies. Dyer said only the "grace of God" kept any bullets from hitting her as she laid on the bedroom floor of the single-wide trailer.

Mary Novack, who runs the Minkler Cash Store across the highway from Liles' trailer, said the couple would come in regularly for sodas and cigarettes.

"No particular kind, just whatever was cheapest," Novack said.

Beginning in October, her store alarm would sometimes sound in the middle of the night as shots pierced her front window. Trajectory instruments used by authorities indicated the bullets might have came from the front porch of Liles' mobile home.

"I don't know why he'd do that. I never had any problem with him," said Novack, who witnessed the shootout.

"He seemed very, very polite, very nice and he came from a very good family," added Loretta Noble, whose daughter married Liles' brother. "I couldn't sleep last night, just thinking about it. I don't know what happened to him that he went off this way."

Court records indicate Rick Liles had an assortment of radar detectors, police scanners and a collection of five handguns, four rifles and an "a/r" - possible shorthand for the AR-15 rifle police said he used during the gunbattle.

Dyer said Liles was found dead with six, 30-round magazines for the rifle, with three of them empty. He had three other rifles, a scope and six handguns.

Liles and his previous wife, Sandy, legally separated in 2000, citing an "irremediable breakdown" of their 13-year marriage in the court documents. He got the guns in a property settlement, and the couple also agreed to share custody of their 11-year-old daughter.

Liles obtained a security guard's license in 2002 and remained in good standing, according to records from the California Department of Consumer Affairs. A firearm permit he had since 2003 expired last summer.

Property records show Liles, who had blond hair and wore glasses, moved to Minkler at least three years ago. The hamlet has a population of only about 30 people and in 2004 listed itself for sale on eBay. The ad to "own your own town" for $600,000 never attracted a buyer.

Novack said she was surprised to see authorities serving the search warrant Thursday at the trailer. They used a loudspeaker to repeatedly order anyone inside to surrender then smashed down the door and went inside before Novack heard gunfire.

Sheriff Margaret Mims said the deputies had good tactical experience, were wearing bullet-proof vests and had a plan to force entry if needed but didn't know Liles had an assault rifle and would fire through the door of the trailer.

"Plans don't always go the way you intend," Mims said.

A law enforcement expert said without further specifics, it was difficult to second-guess why the officers decided to approach the trailer rather than wait for Liles to emerge.

"One of the best things to do is to park down the street and sit there and just wait till the guy leaves," said Ed Nowicki, director emeritus of the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association based in Burlington, Wis.

Mims said Joel Wahlenmaier, 49, the slain deputy, was a 12-year veteran of the department along with a husband and father of two adult children.

Police Officer Javier Bejar was critically wounded 80 yards from the trailer as he was positioned behind his patrol vehicle. Officials said he was not expected to recover from his injuries.

Deputy Mark Harris was wounded and is recovering at home.

Wahlenmaier worked as a detective in the homicide bureau and was a longtime member of the search and rescue team.

He was an avid hiker who used skills he honed in the Sierra Nevada backcountry during his stint on the rescue team.

"He knew the quirks of people that would help us find them in the field," said fellow deputy and longtime friend Eric Schmidt. "He takes with him a lot of knowledge."

Reedley City Manager Rocky Rogers said Bejar, who had two years on the police force, was being kept alive so his family could pay their last respects.

Julia Mendoza, whose son grew up with Bejar, said the officer was a former U.S. Marine who grew up in Orange Cove, a nearby citrus-growing town.

"He's a good man, a very good person and always there to help anyone he can," Mendoza said. "The family is just waiting at the hospital for God to perform a miracle."

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                          didn't read that- and he had a Ca. guard card- BSIS doesn't allow convicted felons to possess or attain guard cards.....I believe the search warrant that led to this shooting incident was based on the 246 PC violation(?)
                          After re-reading that article, I'm not completely sure if he was a felon. He was quoted saying something like, "I'm not going back to prison and would rather die."

Comment

DOAcop38, you are correct. I read the quote wrong and I haven't been able to find anything about Liles being a felon. My bad.
                            Last edited by Zam; 02-28-2010, 10:12 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

My condolences to the FCSO and family of the Deputy killed.

Stay safe out there FlyingPig!

DCH
                              Timelines:

CBPO
                              App: 2/12/09
                              Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                              Written: 2/20/09
                              NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                              TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                              App: 5/5/09
                              Geo: San Diego
                              Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                              NOR: 7/20/09
                              Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                              TO: 10/6/09
                              Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                              Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                              Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                              App: 8/17/10
                              Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                              TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12780 users online. 403 members and 12377 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X