Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bay Area PD application questions.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bay Area PD application questions.

    Hi Everyone I am John. I have always wanted to become a police officer and feel that now is the time to actually apply.

    I have a few questions though before I head out on my application journey.

    If I have misdemeanor offenses from 8 years ago will this ruin my chances? I was a stupid adolescent at the time.

    On the polygraph test, what will cause me to fail? Obviously I am going to be honest however I do now want to waste their time if there is something I already know from my past that might haunt me.

    Prior drug use. Is there a time limit or is it where if you have done something before then you automatically kill your chances at ever becoming a police officer?

    Vision. I wear glasses. Is this OK or do I need to see at a certain level to pass the test?

    Thanks for the help. Its much appreciated.
    Last edited by John510; 01-16-2010, 12:18 AM.

  • #2
    I am by no means an expert but I can offer my opinion based on my own experiences.

    Originally posted by John510 View Post
    Hi Everyone I am John. I have always wanted to become a police officer and feel that now is the time to actually apply.

    I have a few questions though before I head out on my application journey.

    If I have misdemeanor offenses from 8 years ago will this ruin my chances? I was a stupid adolescent at the time.
    I would say this depends on the offense and the specific agency. Many will tell you up front if you call and ask.

    On the polygraph test, what will cause me to fail? I guess what Im asking is what are they NOT looking for? Obviously I am going to be honest however I do now want to waste their time if there is something I already know from my past that might haunt me.
    Asking what NOT to say during a poly (especially on a forum full of cops) probably wasn't the best course of action, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you. An OMISSION will get you in just as much trouble as an ADMISSION, if not more. Like you said yourself, be honest. Integrity is everything. That being said, this answer is essentially the same as the one above. It depends on the agency and whatever it is in your past that you seem to be nervous about.

    Prior drug use. Is there a time limit or is it where if you have done something before then you automatically kill your chances at ever becoming a police officer?
    See above. Some agencies have zero tolerance, some a year since last use, some a few years.

    Vision. I wear glasses. Is this OK or do I need to see at a certain level to pass the test?
    From what I've seen, most agencies have a minimum (say 20/40) and want it corrected to 20/20 in one way or another. Many agencies make you wait a certain amount of time if you've had a LASIK procedure done. This should all be on the job announcement or readily available from a recruiter.

    Thanks for the help. Its much appreciated.
    I hope that I was of some assistance.
    Never second guess your own common sense.

    Comment


    • #3
      To amend the portion of my response about drugs, I was speaking generally about MJ use. If you've done meth, coke, etc. I probably wouldn't bother as you will likely be disappointed. Once again, just my opinion.
      Never second guess your own common sense.

      Comment


      • #4
        geee.....CA COP isn't here to answer bay area questions ???

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MidnightBlue View Post
          To amend the portion of my response about drugs, I was speaking generally about MJ use. If you've done meth, coke, etc. I probably wouldn't bother as you will likely be disappointed. Once again, just my opinion.
          Is this for every department? If its been over 7 years does that make a difference? I just need to know before I sign up at South Bay Regional Training Center if I would be wasting my time and effort going to the academy if I will never get a job.

          Any recruitment officers on here know the answer per dept?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by John510 View Post
            Is this for every department? If its been over 7 years does that make a difference? I just need to know before I sign up at South Bay Regional Training Center if I would be wasting my time and effort going to the academy if I will never get a job.

            Any recruitment officers on here know the answer per dept?
            It will vary from department to department. However, if you tell us what dope you used, how often you used it and for what length of time. those of us from California can give you a pretty close ballpark answer.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

            Comment


            • #7
              L-1,
              I sent you a PM.

              Comment

              MR300x250 Tablet

              Collapse

              What's Going On

              Collapse

              There are currently 4948 users online. 275 members and 4673 guests.

              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

              Welcome Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X