300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
    If you cut SDPDs base pay in half they would still not be the lowest paid in the whole state of California. Not even close. I'm not saying that they have it good right now, but to say that they have the lowest take home pay in California is like saying that Barack Obama is a capitalist.
    What are you talking about?? make sure you know all of the facts before you post info on here about a dept

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
      What are you talking about?? make sure you know all of the facts before you post info on here about a dept
      I didn't notice that he said southern California agencies, but SDPD is still not the lowest of ALL southern California law enforcement agencies. California has over 30 types of peace officer classifications, many of which are part of separate agencies. Some of these agencies pay their peace officers almost nothing. You may want to know all of YOUR facts before you get testy with others.
      "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

I didn't notice that he said southern California agencies, but SDPD is still not the lowest of ALL southern California law enforcement agencies. California has over 30 types of peace officer classifications, many of which are part of separate agencies. Some of these agencies pay their peace officers almost nothing. You may want to know all of YOUR facts before you get testy with others.
        So which police department gets paid less?

Comment

Let's keep it civil and remember we're all on the same side here...I think

That being said, besides saying Southern California, I also said "it has been posted, **BUT I CAN'T CONFIRM THIS**" on my reply. I also assumed that people on this board would all agree on what I was talking about when we're comparing police dept agencies in this topic. That wouldn't include gaming police, Indian Affairs officers, yada, yada, yada...we're talking cops working for City agencies of Sheriffs departments.

....and if IE Copper is right and we're not the lowest in TAKE HOME PAY as I stated we *MAY* be, I'd be interested to know the agencies that he/she knows about that make less. I guarantee you won't find another that pays 13.1% of their pay into retirement.
          "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Leader View Post
            Let's keep it civil and remember we're all on the same side here...I think

That being said, besides saying Southern California, I also said "it has been posted, **BUT I CAN'T CONFIRM THIS**" on my reply. I also assumed that people on this board would all agree on what I was talking about when we're comparing police dept agencies in this topic. That wouldn't include gaming police, Indian Affairs officers, yada, yada, yada...we're talking cops working for City agencies of Sheriffs departments.

....and if IE Copper is right and we're not the lowest in TAKE HOME PAY as I stated we *MAY* be, I'd be interested to know the agencies that he/she knows about that make less. I guarantee you won't find another that pays 13.1% of their pay into retirement.
            You may be the lowest out of municiple and county agencies. Thats crazy that you have to pay your own retirement.
            "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

You may be the lowest out of municiple and county agencies. Thats crazy that you have to pay your own retirement.
              Tell me about it

Unfortunately, I'm too far into my career to go back to (2) weeks vacation time and being low man on the totem pole. I have less than (5) years to go before checkout.
              "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Leader View Post
                Tell me about it

Unfortunately, I'm too far into my career to go back to (2) weeks vacation time and being low man on the totem pole. I have less than (5) years to go before checkout.
                I'm thinking of doing it myself. I really need to get to an LA county agency. I'm not to worried about vacation accrual. Most agencies are willing to give you vacation accrual based on total sworn law enforcement experience. Some make you wait until you are off probation to get any benefits for being an old timer. I would like to lateral to an agency that will let me bring all my sick hours with me. I wish SDPD wasn't having so many problems; I would love to work by the beach. It really wouldn't matter anyway because I have to eventually get to LA county for personal reasons. I can dream though

Comment

Good thread! How are things in SoCal now?
                  "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
                  -George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ArkLawman View Post

Horrible.

Comment

Edit:

Escondido got the grant money last year.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/es...741d8b542.html
                      Last edited by 118inoc; 11-23-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K9deputyk16 View Post
                        I kinda think the title Deputy Sheriff is more honorable. (no offense officers out there). On the other hand I hate the green and tans. It is stupid
                        That is incredibly insulting to police officers, CHP and every other officer who isn't a deputy. I've been a deputy for over 22 years and am offended by it. If it was a joke, you might want to edit it and add a smiley. If it was serious, you might want to get a clue.

Don't base your decision on where to work on what color uniforms an agency wears.

I fixed that last sentence for you, so it more accurately reflects the tenor of your post.
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I agree with ateamer. I've worn both uniforms, and neither is more "honorable" than the other.

I left a 700+ deputy sheriff's department for a 120+ officer police department about a year ago. I am happy where I work and it was the best career decision I could have made.

Originally posted by ArkLawman View Post
                          Depends. Some agencies are actually doing "okay" in the scheme of things. My agency will be doing plenty of hiring over the next couple of years.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dragon Slayer;2568446]I agree with ateamer. I've worn both uniforms, and neither is more "honorable" than the other.

I left a 700+ deputy sheriff's department for a 120+ officer police department about a year ago. I am happy where I work and it was the best career decision I could have made.

I too have been a deputy and a municipal cop, i liked my green and tan uniform and I like my blue uniform also. The title isnt whats honorable, its the way that you do your job and treat others!!
                            Ivan, did you see the sun rise this morningsigpic?

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
                              CHALLENGE!

He did specified Southern California. I think you would have to look at Imperial County or a specialized department (like state parks or LACOPS) to find a lower paid dept when you are looking at take home $$$. Our retirement contribution is over 13% and our medical is something around $300 a month. We also do not get sick leave. I doubt you are going to find an agency of any moderate size with lower pay in So Cal than SDPD. We actually did a study of about 15 similar departments and various ranks. The closest was San Bernardino Sheriff... but their take home pay (because of the retirement contribution) was still higher.
                              A few updates..

Re: paying into our retirement...you would be lucky to pay only 13%! If you get hired at age 21 you will pay 12.77%. If you are hired in your 30's plan on paying about 16%...

SDPD processing applicants but I wouldnt think we would be hiring until after next fiscal year (July 2011). There has been talk of layoffs at that point, but with the staffing being so low now, and getting smaller every day, it's highly unlikely they will lay off. Yes the city is very mismanaged, promises and contracts mean nothing. It's a mess. Despite that, its a great department to work for - but the city officials do not treat the officers, or any other city employees, well.

SDSO went to a 3% @ 55 also..which will likely become the industry norm in the near future...although there are several large agencies in S. Cal that still have 3 @ 50 (Riverside, LAPD to name a couple - both currently hiring)

I agree with others...stay put for a couple of years, or longer, until things improve in CA...it's a mess here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9215 users online. 520 members and 8695 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X