300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escondido, san diego and the SO

I am considering a change in departments. any body out there work for these three? Goods bads? union strength. courts. community trust. ect. any advice would be great. I currently work for a mid sized SO in norcal.

SDSO and SDPD just went to 3 at 55 retirement plans if that affects you. SO and PD are in real bad spots making cuts.

Escondido is one of the few departments that has take home cars. But it's a slower city.

Comment

I'll tell you what I know:

Escondido was one of the departments on the list for the fed grant for more officers. I heard it was for 11 fulltimers. I did an interview with a Watch Commander up there for a Reserve position, but didn't pursue actively because I was busy with school.

They have a new modern police facility on the way.
      Officers have been courteous.
      Good mix of business types, commercial and a lot of industrial. True, slow in some areas like nobodyjr said.
      Escondido also has attracts a lot of gangs (primarily Hispanic), so there may be good opportunities for investigations in that aspect.

Their PO union and city have been bashing each other in media recently.

When I lived up north in Temecula, there was a Escondido K-9 officer who had a take-home car every night. That goes without saying though since he has to care for the dog. Most houses are nose-diving in that area so being that its closer to North County, I would consider it.

http://www.10news.com/news/18955184/detail.html

Comment

I would ride out the time in your current agency if possible. There have been no layoffs (yet) but with the dismal outlook for the next year, they are possible and in my opinion going to happen.

When times are good the SO is a great place to work.
        Play like a champion, today!

Member of Team Green

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
          SDSO and SDPD just went to 3 at 55 retirement plans if that affects you. SO and PD are in real bad spots making cuts.

Escondido is one of the few departments that has take home cars. But it's a slower city.
          No it's not. It isn't the FASTEST, but it isn't slow.

Comment

Originally posted by K9deputyk16 View Post
            I am considering a change in departments. any body out there work for these three? Goods bads? union strength. courts. community trust. ect. any advice would be great. I currently work for a mid sized SO in norcal.
            San Diego PD is in the hurt locker. The city managers and politicians have boondoggled this city long enough and made enough p*ss poor decisions that they have left the city in shambles moneywise. That includes the PD. Officers are leaving by the dozens and going elsewhere. I feel bad for them. The officers are good people. They don't deserve what they have had shoved down their throats. I thought about lateraling to them a year ago, but they had some unreasonable expectations that I was not willing to do to go there.

San Diego SO hasn't layed any deputies off. They closed a jail and moved a lot of people out of desk jobs back to patrol cars and such, but no lay-offs. Our retirement [email protected] is still funded because the County BOS and the retirement personnel did what they were supposed to do, invest the money wisely. But times ARE sloooow, and so is the hiring process. I haven't heard anything about the [email protected] other than it is being discussed. Our contract negotiations are still ongoing.

Escondido recently got FED $$ for 8 new hires. They are still a take-home-your-own-police-car agency, which is amazing considering the economy. Contrary to another post, they are by no means a slow city, nor one of SD County's smaller cities. I don't know much about their morale, but I think they would be a good agency to work for. Large ex-con population in Esco (there is a Parole office there), and they got the gangs like the rest of us do.

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you all for posting! I am going to do my research for about a year before I make my decision. If I am gonna do it I want to do it right. I kinda think the title Deputy Sheriff is more honorable. (no offense officers out there). On the other hand I hate the green and tans. It is stupid but a hard decision for me.

Comment

Originally posted by K9deputyk16 View Post
                Thank you all for posting! I am going to do my research for about a year before I make my decision. If I am gonna do it I want to do it right. I kinda think the title Deputy Sheriff is more honorable. (no offense officers out there). On the other hand I hate the green and tans. It is stupid but a hard decision for me.
                I thought I had heard everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                  No it's not. It isn't the FASTEST, but it isn't slow.
                  That was what one of our officers who went there and came back said. It was a like a slow SDPD division. I'm sure it's no mayberry though. What is slow to one person is relative I suppose.

Comment

^^^ True dat ^^^

Comment

Are most officers at SDPD happy? I'm torn about applying, it seems the sheriffs are better off.

Comment

Originally posted by scoobs View Post
                        Are most officers at SDPD happy? I'm torn about applying, it seems the sheriffs are better off.
                        I would say that *most* officers are happy with their job/squad, etc....

However, I would say that 99.9% of the front line officers are out and out DISGUSTED of the City Council. They are untruthful and constantly have made the city employees make up for their mistakes and lack of foresight with cuts in our pay and/or benefits. It has been posted, though I can't confirm this, that our "take home pay" after taxes, paying the highest retirement in the state and other crap is the LOWEST in Southern Cal.

My personal advice would be to only apply if you plan on leaving after a year or two. They raised our retirement age for new hires to 55 when the state norm is 50. It may not matter anyway. We have stopped hiring and rumors of layoffs this summer are all over the department.
                        "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Leader View Post
                          I would say that *most* officers are happy with their job/squad, etc....

However, I would say that 99.9% of the front line officers are out and out DISGUSTED of the City Council. They are untruthful and constantly have made the city employees make up for their mistakes and lack of foresight with cuts in our pay and/or benefits. It has been posted, though I can't confirm this, that our "take home pay" after taxes, paying the highest retirement in the state and other crap is the LOWEST in Southern Cal.

My personal advice would be to only apply if you plan on leaving after a year or two. They raised our retirement age for new hires to 55 when the state norm is 50. It may not matter anyway. We have stopped hiring and rumors of layoffs this summer are all over the department.
                          If you cut SDPDs base pay in half they would still not be the lowest paid in the whole state of California. Not even close. I'm not saying that they have it good right now, but to say that they have the lowest take home pay in California is like saying that Barack Obama is a capitalist.
                          "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." Winston Churchill

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IE Copper View Post
                            If you cut SDPDs base pay in half they would still not be the lowest paid in the whole state of California. Not even close. I'm not saying that they have it good right now, but to say that they have the lowest take home pay in California is like saying that Barack Obama is a capitalist.
                            CHALLENGE!

He did specified Southern California. I think you would have to look at Imperial County or a specialized department (like state parks or LACOPS) to find a lower paid dept when you are looking at take home $$$. Our retirement contribution is over 13% and our medical is something around $300 a month. We also do not get sick leave. I doubt you are going to find an agency of any moderate size with lower pay in So Cal than SDPD. We actually did a study of about 15 similar departments and various ranks. The closest was San Bernardino Sheriff... but their take home pay (because of the retirement contribution) was still higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Leader View Post
                              We have stopped hiring and rumors of layoffs this summer are all over the department.
                              I've heard that too. Word was they were cutting another 10% off the top. I find that hard to believe, but most of the rumors I have heard down the grapevine end up coming true.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8544 users online. 449 members and 8095 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X