300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Question

I have recently applied with a few agencies here in California and I have a question on my background. I was laid off in February of this year, and was jobless until i moved in June. I started working for someone I know personally in early July (part time). He paid me under the table, and promised me a full time position within a month or two if I stuck it out. Being someone who hates living on unemployment, I tried to stick it out.

I did not claim the wages he paid me (about 600 a month) with unemployment just in case it did not work out. I have a fiancee and a Two year old I have to think about. If i claimed the wages, and it stayed a part time job, I could have lost my main source of income.

After about two months there was still no word on going full time, so I told the owner of the company thanks but no thanks, and I left his company.

How bad will this effect my background, and my chances of getting hired?

Also a little background on myself, I am 20 y/o, almost finished with my AA degree, was a Police Explorer Lieutenant, a paid police cadet with two separate agencies, and was hired as a seasonal Deputy at 18 y/o.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by avalon42; 01-27-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

It's called Unemployment Insurance Fraud. Years back we used to get calls from the EDD investigators to come down and hook up guys like you on UI Fraud warrants.

Like Avalon42 said, you're toast.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

....and you gave more than enough information in your 14 posts to figure out who you are...

Comment

This is primary a law enforcment site to discuss honest questions towards people wanting to be police officers. You ask if what you have done will affect you in your background. You should turn yourself in to the I.R.S. and think hard on what the word integrity means, obvisiouly you do not understand what it means!

Comment

good luck to u bro, just be honest with the things you did
            Officer Safety comes first.

Comment

You can pay the back taxes to the IRS and show a background investigator that you did. That would be a decent start to getting back on track.

Comment

Go be a construction worker. You obviously can't figure out what a crime is. Too bad all that time in school was wasted.

You were not working as a sworn Deputy at 18. You may have worked as a corrections officer.

That Felony is going to look real good. I hope you reported it to your agency where you are a CADET.
                Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

To the OP,

I'm sorry for your situation and if I came off harsh in my original post. The economy is making it really tough to get by, but you have to think of it from the perspective of a hiring agency. I've had plenty of time around the block in the hiring process to know the nuances. You should take the advice and rectify the situation in the best way you can, by paying back the EDD funds and claiming the income tax.

The only thing I see is this: given the recency of the offense and your extensive law enforcement background/experience would have a reasonable person assume that you should know better or found another way. You obviously has leadership qualities (former Police explorer LT) and other desirable traits, yet this one could nip you good because you are a role model.

I'm thinking objectively; it does sound tough with your family situation and lack of jobs. I'm in the same boat. But my guess is that any agency would see this and worry about you taking future shortcuts every time things get rough.

Comment

With the current economy, I would suggest you seek employment in another career field. There are far too many candidates out there with advanced degrees and no activity that borders on fraud or a felony. Final word, don't apply with the CHP! You will be immediately rejected on application.

Good luck to you.
                    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
                      Pardon my bluntness, but two words come to mind: "Dishonest scumbag." A lot of people are experiencing hardships, yet they don't all commit fraud like you. I don't know why you think you're so special. Seek employment elsewhere. Law enforcement is not for you. I would never allow someone like you on my team. Hopefully, you'll get caught. People here can help that result come true.
                      Note to self: Add Code Seven to list of people to never, ever p*ss off (and add his avatar too, for that matter...)
                      “Let him go, Lou. Someone driving that fast has no time for a ticket.”
                      -Chief Wiggum

Comment

Code 7 that dog scares the hell out of me.
                        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I've been reading this thread and just have to ask....what is avatar?
                          If you just let people talk long enough......you will learn their intentions.

Comment

Last edited by avalon42; 01-27-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
                              I'm actually easy-going in person. At least I think I am! To me, it's okay to be blunt on these forums.
                              “Let him go, Lou. Someone driving that fast has no time for a ticket.”
                              -Chief Wiggum

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4248 users online. 218 members and 4030 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X