Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well nothing says STOP! like a.....well..a stop sign on the hood of your police car.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
      Hey Sgt CHP,another question for you, I have seen a few vehicles running green and purple lights. What do they represent and is it legal?
      Don't know about purple, but a flashing/rotating green light in the center of the light bar is used on fire vehicle to indicate the incident commander. Usually it will be on a battalion chief's SUV. (Battalion chief = lieutenant. Captain = sergeant. At least around here.)
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
        Don't know about purple, but a flashing/rotating green light in the center of the light bar is used on fire vehicle to indicate the incident commander. Usually it will be on a battalion chief's SUV. (Battalion chief = lieutenant. Captain = sergeant. At least around here.)
        +1

I've seen the strange colors on security cars. They use them because they are colors that aren't regulated by the CVC. The first time I saw green lights on a lightbar was a few years ago at the Great America theme park in Santa Clara...their security cars at green and amber, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
          These are the only colors of warning/emergency lamps authorized on authorized emergency vehicles while the vehicle is in operation upon the highways/roadways in CA: California Administrative Code, Title 13, Division 2, Chapter 2, Article 22, section 818.

TITLE 13. MOTOR VEHICLES
          DIVISION 2. DEPARTMENT OF THE CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL
          CHAPTER 2. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT
          ARTICLE 22. WARNING LAMPS
          This database is current through 10/23/09 Register 2009, No. 43
          § 818. Type of Warning Lamps Used on Emergency Vehicles and Special Hazard Vehicles.

Warning lamps on emergency vehicles and special hazard vehicles shall be of the following types:
          (a) Required Red Warning Lamps on Authorized Emergency Vehicles. The steady burning red warning lamp required to be visible to the front of an authorized emergency vehicle by Vehicle Code Section 25252 shall be a Class A, B or C warning lamp. Motorcycles may instead be equipped with two Class D warning lamps in the front, one of which may flash.

(b) Permitted Additional Red Warning Lamps on Authorized Emergency Vehicles. The additional steady burning or flashing red warning lamp permitted by Vehicle Code Section 25252 shall be a Class A, B, C, or E warning lamp.

(c) Permitted Yellow Warning Lamps on Authorized Emergency Vehicles. The additional flashing yellow warning lamp permitted on authorized emergency vehicles by Vehicle Code Section 25259 shall be a Class B, C, or E warning lamp. Two yellow motorcycle turn signal lamps may be used as warning lamps on the rear of motorcycles.

(d) Permitted Blue Warning Lamps on Police Vehicles. The additional flashing or steady burning blue warning lamp permitted by Vehicle Code Section 25258(b) shall be Class B, C, or E.

(e) Required Yellow Warning Lamps on Tow Cars. The flashing yellow warning lamp required on tow cars by Vehicle Code Section 25253 shall be a Class B, C, or E warning lamp. The flashing yellow warning lamp permitted to be displayed to the rear of a tow car while towing a vehicle and moving at a speed slower than the normal flow of traffic may be a 360-degree revolving or gaseous discharge lamp. In such case, the front and side areas of the lens or transparent cover that extends back to 45 degrees to each side of the straight-to-the-rear axis of the lamp shall be covered with opaque material reaching to the top of the lighted area. A revolving lamp may instead be equipped with a device that turns each light source off during the forward three-fourths of its rotation.

(f) Permitted Yellow Warning Lamps on Special Hazard Vehicles. The flashing yellow warning lamps permitted on special hazard vehicles by Article 7 of Division 12 of the Vehicle Code beginning with Section 25252, shall be a Class B, C, or E warning lamp, depending on whether the lamp is permitted to be displayed only to the front and rear or to the front, sides, and rear.

(g) Warning Lamps for Undercover Cars. The required steady-burning forward-facing warning lamps on authorized emergency vehicles with special plates permitted by Vehicle Code Section 5001 shall be a class A, B, or C. This warning lamp may also be a fixed or handheld red spotlamp with a filament of at least 30 watts, and producing at least 3,000 candela in red at the brightest point in the beam. Such a lamp need not meet any of the other requirements of this article except for color. Additional steady-burning or flashing warning lamps shall be class A, B, C, or E. These warning lamps may be displayed through transparent or translucent material provided the light, of proper color, is plainly visible and understandable in bright sunlight and during darkness, under normal atmospheric conditions, to a distance of 800 feet from the vehicle. These lights shall not transfigure, disrupt or mask any other required lighting device.

<General Materials (GM) - References, Annotations, or Tables>

Note: Authority cited: Section 26103, Vehicle Code. Reference: Sections 24012 and 26103, Vehicle Code.
          Any other colors - like those used to denote an incident commander can only be used while the vehicle is in a static position. It cannot be illuminated while being driven upon a highway/roadway.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I think the steady-burning red requirement is dumb. The other 49 states have always gotten along just fine without it.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Its a California thing

Comment

the rolling ambers and takedown lights were nice

Comment

ateamer i have seen the green lights on fire veh however it was either on the back of the vehicle flashing or a boom light but they were the command vehicles ie tahoes suburans etc never seen them on the engines. know this cause worked for a fd.

i was ref towards security veh or even if there were any state or county veh having green/purple lights? and if the lights had any significances like blues for leo's and red for emergency's vehicles.
                  I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Sorry if this seems slightly off-topic.

Are federal vehicles (i.e. FBI, ATF, etc.) required to have a steady red light in the front and a rearward facing amber light?

Comment

that is a negative as far as I know they are exempt I believe..
                      just like an FBI vehicle can roll with blue and red lights in new york city when the law of NY state dictates emergency vehicles can only have red and white lights

Comment

I'm sure Sarge can answer this... I know they aren't considered California Peace Officers

830.8. (a) Federal criminal investigators and law enforcement
                        officers are not California peace officers, but may exercise the
                        powers of arrest of a peace officer in any of the following
                        circumstances:

Comment

Originally posted by sigmeister View Post
                          Sorry if this seems slightly off-topic.

Are federal vehicles (i.e. FBI, ATF, etc.) required to have a steady red light in the front and a rearward facing amber light?
                          If operating under emergency conditions, YES! They are required to display a steady burning red light to the front. Federal LE vehicles are AEV's in CA.

With respect to a rear facing amber light, NO! That is an optional light to warn approaching motorists of a traffic hazard and has no other purpose. It does not identify LE or emergency vehicles. There is a whole list of vehicles authorized to display a rear facing, amber warning lamp - including your personal vehicle if it is a traffic hazard.
                          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Holy cow, do they really think the average driver is going to break out a code book that tells them what each color and signal sequence means?

If the lights are flashing, pull the f*** over. Nice and simple.

Thats almost as bad as the terrorrist threat level

No one knows what to do at each level. Except Ron Whites mom, you'll have to google that one.
                            Last edited by leesrt; 11-10-2009, 05:05 PM.
                            Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

The point of having the forward facing red light on local vehicles is the state requires that (and the siren) to be on for purposes of liability protection. The feds have sovereign immunity, so who cares if they have a forward facing red light.

Comment

I rode as a passenger in a new LED car the other night. Those takedown lights are BRIGHT. Almost couldn't see approaching traffic on a stop.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3821 users online. 288 members and 3533 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X