300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L A Public Schools Lose Enrollment

I wonder whether this is partly a result of illegal immigrants moving to other states and of reduced immigration.

L.A. Unified has fewer students; charter school enrollment rises sharply
    November 4, 2009 | 6:00 am

Enrollment in traditional Los Angeles-area public schools has declined this fall, even as the number of students enrolled in charter schools has exploded, according to just-released data.

The drop at traditional schools is slightly more than 3%, with enrollment falling to 617,798 students. The number of students at independent charters is up nearly 19%, to 60,643 students. More students attend charter schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District than in any other district in the country.

Charter schools operate like their own school districts, with control over most of the funding generated by their students. With the opening of new charters in the Los Angeles area, the enrollment shift was not entirely unexpected, but it nonetheless has broad implications for the nation's second-largest school system. When the district sheds students, it also loses the funds that accompany them, which puts pressure on a district budget with built-in costs for services and facilities.

Fewer students ultimately result in staff reductions --- over and above those already caused by the state budget crisis.

Even if the charter students are added in, district enrollment is down 1.4% from last year, continuing a recent trend. The latest numbers are culled from an annual survey called “norm day,” which is important for setting staffing levels at schools as well as determining future funding.

-- Howard Blume
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Thats not good.........

Comment

I think it is very good. L.A.'s public schools are terrible. Charter schools provide quasi-private competition. Good teachers who get laid off by LAUSD can get jobs at charter schools.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
        I think it is very good. L.A.'s public schools are terrible. Charter schools provide quasi-private competition. Good teachers who get laid off by LAUSD can get jobs at charter schools.
        I agree. They use a lot of these charter schools in Kansas City as well.

My only issue with charter schools is that the quality of the education received at them, at least in KC, is no better than that of a regular public school. Still parents who are fed up with the politics and overall lackluster schools around here strongly prefer charters over regular schools.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
          Thats not good.........
          For the kids? Think not.

For their parents? No, again.

For the teachers? Getting warmer. As has been said, quality teachers will get jobs in private and charter schools.

For the Teacher's Union? You bet. Less union teachers mean less union dues, which will be funneled by union bosses to go into the campaign funds of the politicians who created the conditions to begin with.

Now, for LAUSDPD Officers....we'll see.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
            For the Teacher's Union? You bet. Less union teachers mean less union dues, which will be funneled by union bosses to go into the campaign funds of the politicians who created the conditions to begin with.

Now, for LAUSDPD Officers....we'll see.
            But the teachers' union runs commercials daily that insist more money is needed, "for the children!"

As to the LAUSDPD officers (and other classified employees): The teachers' union couldn't care less about them.
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I guess I need to look out for myself first...LAUSD has alot of great teachers and some poor ones but thats like every district, but the problem lies with the students and the parents. I think the students of LAUSD have all of the same opportunities as other students in CA.

Charter schools are good if there are a few but if every school is charter then nothing will have changed. Charter schools can get rid of their under acheiving students much easier than other schools and most of them get sent to LAUSD schools....and yes I see this all of the time!

Comment

Sure, there are problems with the students and the parents that need to be addressed. But those are not the only problems. Even the liberal, pro-labor LA Times concluded that there are many lazy and inept teachers and the union rules protect them from discharge or discipline.

If I took my car to a mechanic, he would not be excused from doing his job because the problem was due to my driving.

Comment

Back when I worked for the LASPD, I worked a school board meeting. I actually learned something about charter schools. For those that don't know, here's how it works.

First, a neighborhood (let's use south central LA in this example) decides that they want a charter school for whatever reason. Those people find a school district that is willing to charter that school. One example would be a charter school in LA that is chartered by the Victorville school district.

Then that other school district tells the LAUSD that they are going to charter a school in the neighborhood. It is then up to the LAUSD to find the other school district the facilities. If the LAUSD has a closed school in the area, they will give that to the other school district. If they don't have a closed school in the area, they will have to find facilities pretty fast.

The school district that issues the charter will then have the neighborhood decide who the teachers are. They don't even have to be credentialed teachers (like private schools). Now you have a charter school.

I don't know how they get away with it, but they do. Do they provide a better education? Not really. A lot of times the education level received depends on the environment. Locke High school became a charter school. It still has the same knuckleheads going there. Their education level will not go up.
                  God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Bully View Post
                    Back when I worked for the LASPD, I worked a school board meeting. I actually learned something about charter schools. For those that don't know, here's how it works.

First, a neighborhood (let's use south central LA in this example) decides that they want a charter school for whatever reason. Those people find a school district that is willing to charter that school. One example would be a charter school in LA that is chartered by the Victorville school district.

Then that other school district tells the LAUSD that they are going to charter a school in the neighborhood. It is then up to the LAUSD to find the other school district the facilities. If the LAUSD has a closed school in the area, they will give that to the other school district. If they don't have a closed school in the area, they will have to find facilities pretty fast.

The school district that issues the charter will then have the neighborhood decide who the teachers are. They don't even have to be credentialed teachers (like private schools). Now you have a charter school.

I don't know how they get away with it, but they do. Do they provide a better education? Not really. A lot of times the education level received depends on the environment. Locke High school became a charter school. It still has the same knuckleheads going there. Their education level will not go up.
                    And they didnt hire us....they have green dot security, who are armed by the way....

Comment

Usually the school is run a private company. And LAUSD seems to stall when it comes to providing facilities, based on what I have read.

The reports on charter schools are mixed. But when a charter school fails, it can be shut down, and probably will be because parents will not send their children there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2967 users online. 160 members and 2807 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X