Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Medical" Marijuana artards are taking over California...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because that would be the logical way to do it. And if MJ is restricted to pill form for the aid of the people that are really sick; then all these yahoos who are trying to use the medicinal purposes of MJ to legalize it for their pure recreational use, will no longer have a valid argument.

And using the "Let's not be hypocrites with alcohol then" argument still doesn't validate why we should legalize MJ.
    ____________ _____________
    "Those Who Stand For Nothing, Fall For Anything" - Alexander Hamilton

Comment

If 'MJ' is to be considered a medicine, why not let the FDA regulate it and have it as a controlled substance that 'should' only be sold in legitimate pharmacies? There needs to be one and only one classification for the weed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pre-LEO View Post
        ... using the "Let's not be hypocrites with alcohol then" argument still doesn't validate why we should legalize MJ.
        It does not validate the argument it simply shows the hypocrisy of allowing one dangerous substance to be sold, possessed, and used yet ban the other less dangerous substance.

My question remains, would you endorse the making of alcohol possession, and distribution illegal? If not why not.

I think the only logical argument would be due to criminal nature of marijuana cultivation and distribution, if that could be removed and controlled I can't think of another answer.

Comment

Originally posted by CA10-08 View Post
          It does not validate the argument it simply shows the hypocrisy of allowing one dangerous substance to be sold, possessed, and used yet ban the other less dangerous substance.

My question remains, would you endorse the making of alcohol possession, and distribution illegal? If not why not.

I think the only logical argument would be due to criminal nature of marijuana cultivation and distribution, if that could be removed and controlled I can't think of another answer.
          How about the increased incidence of DUI and the deaths that they will cause? How about the increase in lung cancer and deaths that it will cause? Its bad enough I have to dodge drunk bastids on the freeway driving the wrong way. Why add another wildcard to the mix just so pot heads can feel safe while abusing drugs.

Comment

CA10-8: How is MJ a less harmful drug than alcohol?
            ____________ _____________
            "Those Who Stand For Nothing, Fall For Anything" - Alexander Hamilton

Comment

Blargh:

No alcohol should not be illegal, there should though be government control of it's possession, and limits to it's use. Which there are. Alcohol though is a drug, it has to be recognized as a mind altering substance. Anyone who has drank to excess can attest to this. It also has no real medicinal use other than as an additive, according to the drug classification guides it should be a schedule I drug, if controlled.

Pre-LEO:

I think a very important distinction has to be made about the term "harmful", there are three types of harm; social, criminal, and health harm. We have many harmful substances which we consume regularly, alcohol is one of them. Alcohol can cause societal harm, harm our health, and is the cause criminal harm.

If you have met alcoholics you have seen the incredible damage drinking does to their lives, and those of their families, and friends. There are far more people in AA, than people in Narcotics Anonymous who are there for marijuana addiction. Of course the simple fact that alcohol is so available in our society may be a good reason for this.

Alcohol causes liver damage and a host of other illnesses. It is a contributing factor to the death of many. We also cannot ignore the tens of thousands killed as a result of DUIs.

If we remove the substantial criminal element of marijuana cultivation and sales, and concentrate on the actual health consequences of marijuana use compared to say tobacco, and alcohol, I think we'd find that they are at par, if not slightly more dangerous for your health than marijuana.

I feel there is a large amount of hypocrisy sorrounding marijuana use. I believe that the reason for this is that alcohol is simply socially accepted, we choose to ignore the harmful effects of it most of the time. Due to it being legal we somehow see alcohol as different from marijuana. Kids go out and get drunk and we simply look back and say they are just having fun, we celebrate alcohol use, and use alcohol to celebrate. We can drink (and yes I drink) and we are doing nothing wrong, we are not taking a "drug" we're just having a beer, but I rarely see people drinking near-beer.

As a police officer I have seen far more damage caused by alcohol use than I have ever seen due to marijuana use. I have though seen people die from drinking themselves to death, DUIs, and lung cancer. I have never seen anyone die from the direct effects of marijuana use (I have seen people die who are involved in the marijuana trade though).

Of course there is a huge problem with marijuana cultivation and sales (MJSC) that have to be addressed. It is ignorant of anyone to not mention these huge issues, which I believe a lot of the supporters of marijuana choose to ignore. The criminal aspect of MJSC will simply not go away if marijuana is decriminlized, and before we ever move in that direction there has to be serious look at how to dismantle the criminal aspects of this.

I think marijuana use is not a good idea, the same way I think drinking to excess is not a good idea, and the use of tobacco products is not a good idea. It would hypocritical of me to not acknowledge that I have seen plenty of police officers drunk off duty, and those same officers thought nothing of it, yet they see a kid smoking marijuana and automatically think of him as a "drug user". Those officers never would consider what they do to be taking a drug.

Comment

Originally posted by CA10-08 View Post
                Blargh:

As a police officer I have seen far more damage caused by alcohol use than I have ever seen due to marijuana use. I have though seen people die from drinking themselves to death, DUIs, and lung cancer. I have never seen anyone die from the direct effects of marijuana use (I have seen people die who are involved in the marijuana trade though).
                Stand by- coming soon enough.and ask your Traffic enforcment unit- alot of the DUI's were under the influence of OTHER substances as well, with MJ on the top of the list..

Question- would you want to work with an Officer as a partner who regularly uses MJ?( if it ever became "legal")....
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by blargh
                  So you do support alcohol being illegal?
                  That ship has sailed long ago. Alcohol is a terrible drug. It is one of the few drugs that you can die from in withdrawals but it is here to stay. No need to add another drug to the mix. A lot of people will not do drugs if they are illegal. Law students who want to stick it too "the Man" and defend the scum of the earth may but no decent citizens are buying it. If you legalize it is going to cause more problems than it solves. I have been to Amsterdam. I know what a country with legalized drugs looks like and it is not pretty. Nobody in the game is buying what you are pushing.
                  Last edited by SHU; 11-25-2009, 12:16 AM. Reason: k

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5493 users online. 318 members and 5175 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X