Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an easy way to estimate registration penalties 4 years expired for CA regist

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an easy way to estimate registration penalties 4 years expired for CA regist

Just seeing if I can get some easy information here for a bureaucratically complicated question:

I am going to look at purchasing a used motorcycle this weekend.

It’s a 1998 Ducati 916. It's yellow, and it's loud. It says to the police OVER HERE!!!!!! ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The registration is expired 4 years out.

Does anyone know how can I estimate the penalties on getting it current? I'd like to have some Idea how much the DMV is going to rake me over the coals for.

Thanks,

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

I think the max penalty is 100% per year......so take whatever each years' reg costs, and then double it.

The DMV website might have more info
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Thanks, found it. Very confusing, but it looks like I'm looking at 160%.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc9554_5.htm

Computation of Penalty: Original Registration
      9554.5. (a) A penalty shall be added on any application for original registration made later than midnight of the date of expiration or on or after the date penalties become due. The penalty shall be computed after the registration and weight fees have been combined with the license fee specified in Section 10751 of the Revenue and Taxation Code, as follows:

(1) For a delinquency period of one year or less, the penalty is 40 percent of the fee.

(2) For a delinquency period of more than one year to and including two years, the penalty is 80 percent of the fee.

(3) For a delinquency period of more than two years, the penalty is 160 percent of the fee.

(4) This subdivision applies to applications for an original registration where the date for which fees are due is on or before December 31, 2002.

(b) The penalties specified in paragraphs (1) and (2) shall be added to any delinquent application for original registration made on or after the date penalties become due.

(1) The penalty for the registration fee provided in Section 9250 is as follows:

(A) For a delinquency period of one year or less, the penalty is thirty dollars ($30).

(B) For a delinquency period of more than one year, to and including two years, the penalty is fifty dollars ($50).

(C) For a delinquency period of more than two years, the penalty is one hundred dollars ($100).

(2) The penalty on the weight fee and vehicle license fee shall be computed after the weight fee as provided in Section 9400 or 9400.1 plus the vehicle license fee specified in Section 10751 of the Revenue and Taxation Code have been added together, as follows:

(A) For a delinquency period of one year or less, the penalty is 40 percent of the fee.

(B) For a delinquency period of more than one year, to and including two years, the penalty is 80 percent of the fee.

(C) For a delinquency period of more than two years, the penalty is 160 percent of the fee.

(3) This subdivision shall apply to original registrations where the date the fee is due is on or after January 1, 2003, but before December 1, 2008.

(c)This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2009, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2009, deletes or extends that date.

Amended Sec. 16, Ch. 805, Stats. 2002. Effective September 22, 2002.
      Amended Sec. 24, Ch. 756, Stats. 2008. Operative September 30, 2008.
      The 2008 amendment added the italicized material.

NOTE: The preceding section becomes inoperative on January 1, 2009, at which time the following section becomes operative.
      9554.5 (a)On and after January 1, 2003, a penalty shall be added on any application for original registration made later than midnight of the date of expiration or on or after the date penalties become due. Penalties shall be computed as provided in Section 9559 and shall be collected with the fee.

(b)The penalty assessment for the delinquent payment of the registration fee specified in Section 9250 shall be as follows:

(1)Thirty dollars ($30) for a delinquency period of one year or less.

(2)Fifty dollars ($50) for a delinquency period of more than one year, to and including two years.

(3)One hundred dollars ($100) for a delinquency period of more than two years.

(c)The penalty assessment for the delinquent payment of the weight fee specified in Section 9400 or 9400.1 and the vehicle license fee as specified in Section 10751 of the Revenue and Taxation Code shall be as follows:

(1)Forty percent of the vehicle license fee, or the combined amount of the vehicle license fee and the weight fee if the vehicle is subject to both fees, for a delinquency period of one year or less.

(2)Eighty percent of the vehicle license fee, or the combined amount of the vehicle license fee and the weight fee if the vehicle is subject to both fees, for a delinquency period of more than one year, to and including two years.

(3)One hundred sixty percent of the vehicle license fee, or the combined amount of the vehicle license fee and the weight fee if the vehicle is subject to both fees, for a delinquency period of more than two years.

(d)A single penalty assessment for the delinquent payment of the fees specified in Sections 9250.8 and 9250.13 shall be as follows:

(1)Thirty dollars ($30) for a delinquency period of one year or less.

(2)Fifty dollars ($50) for a delinquency period of more than one year, to and including two years.

(3)One hundred dollars ($100) for a delinquency period of more than two years.

(4)This subdivision shall apply to applications for an original registration where the date the fee is due is on or after December 1, 2008.

(e)This section shall become operative January 1, 2009.

Added Sec. 25, Ch. 756, Stats. 2008. Effective January 1, 2009.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I called AAA about a prospective purchase by giving them the plates, they were able to give me the cost to bring it up to speed.

Comment

If a "Certificate of Non-Operation" is presented and attested to by signature, there may not be fees due for the time in question. You really should check with the DMV. Ask the previous owner if the vehicle was under operation at any time of the lapsed period. If not, have him sign all of the paperwork.

Otherwise, it is a progressive amount starting with the first year of arrears and increases for each successive year.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Thanks, I'll have some time to pursue the best approach. I'm looking at it this weekend, but will pick up a few weeks later if I decide to get it.

There are some pros and cons to it, a new looking Duc 916 for $3.5K being the pro, the con being the registration and having sat for 4 years with gas in the tank.

I'm just trying to price out everything so I'm not broadsided.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3816 users online. 208 members and 3608 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X