300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruit Finder's Fee

I've been applying and in backgrounds for almost a year now and I just heard this weekend that certian agencies reward their officers with a finder's fee for finding a recruit to hire. I'm curious if these people get treated any differently during the Application/Background process compared to someone that just applies and goes through the normal process?
    In Backgrounds .....

Originally posted by hockeytilter25 View Post
    I've been applying and in backgrounds for almost a year now and I just heard this weekend that certian agencies reward their officers with a finder's fee for finding a recruit to hire. I'm curious if these people get treated any differently during the Application/Background process compared to someone that just applies and goes through the normal process?
    Why? You planning on giving the officer a finder's fee too?

In all seriousness, the officer who vouches for an individual is saying a lot.

At the agency I'm working for, they have an officer who was hired a 20 1/2. He's been working there 3 years. I almost tripped on myself because he told me that his previous and only job was a valet. After digging deeper, I find out he had half a dozen referrals from "friends" that work for the dept. And from what I'm told, that's all it takes. In my own experience so far, it's very little of what you know, and a whole lot more of WHO you know.

barkalot, feel free to interject.

Comment

I dont think it matters. My department also offers a cash bonus as a "finders fee." When my wife applied, there was no consideration or special treatment.

She applied about the time hiring freeze rumors were starting. When she was almost done w/ backgrounds, and coincidentally when the department announced it was only filling East County positions, she was DQ'd reference her medical. Not permanant, but the standard "1 year then reapply" gig. By then we were truly in a hiring freeze.
      Last edited by SoCalSheriff; 10-27-2009, 02:00 PM.
      Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
      --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

You are not going to slide through the process just because somebody mentioned your name.

Comment

I'm not saying that everyone gets a free ride, but there is serious consideration on the weight of sworn officers who vouch for an individual, correct?

When I applied to several agencies, some of them had special sections for sworn officer references.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytilter25 View Post
            Our dept had/has a finders fee..1K for making it to the academy and 1K at graduation.

It has nothing to do with being treated differently as it happens after the application background process.

After taxes it was about $800 x 2 , so I gave it back to the recruit so he could buy his uniforms.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Before I retired, we used to give our officers a day off with pay if they recruited someone who passed all phases of the process and got hired.

Candidates were asked to place the recruiting officer's serial number in a special box on the application so they could be identified throughout the process. However, officers were expected to be judicious in their recruiting efforts and target people who actually met the criteria for hiring, If it turned out someone was indiscriminately recruiting people with bad backgrounds, it could come back to bite the officer in the posterior.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

There is a degree of nepotism, but nothing any different that the rest of the world. 1/3 of those sponsored in my academy class were son’s of either officers in their department or who’s farther was a City Fire Captain. Their backgrounds were merely formalities.

One was on his second attempt at the academy and nearly failed out the second time were it not for intervention from the command staff of his department. This recruit also got the top academic award (good for him, he had two tries) at graduation.

It’s who you blow, not what you know that stacks the deck.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4411 users online. 280 members and 4131 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X