Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gang member sentenced to death for killing L.A. County police captain

October 15, 2009 | 3:47 pm (L.A. Times)

Calling a 26-year-old gang member a predator responsible for a cold-blooded killing, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge sentenced him today to death for fatally shooting an off-duty county police captain.

Miguel Angel Magallon received his sentence by Judge Kathleen Kennedy in a downtown courtroom two months after a jury recommended he be executed for the murder of Capt. Michael L. Sparkes during an attempted robbery.

“Is the defendant a predator? I think he is a predator,” said Kennedy, denying Magallon’s defense motion for a new trial. “It is clear that Capt. Sparkes was a completely innocent victim and any one of us could have found ourselves in that position on that fateful morning."

As Sparkes’ widow looked on, Kennedy said the crime “was a cold-blooded killing, plain and simple.”

Magallon was driving with an accomplice in the early morning hours of Aug. 10, 2004, when he came upon Sparkes taking his predawn bicycle ride in unincorporated Rosewood near Compton.

Magallon got out of his car and attempted to rob Sparkes, then shot him with an AK-47 before running back to the vehicle. Wounded, Sparkes called 911 on his cellphone, saying “officer down.”

But before help could arrive, Magallon had his accomplice drive the car back around so he could fire a second round at Sparkes. Sparkes was shot a total of nine times in an alley near Redondo Beach and Avalon boulevards.

But Sparkes managed to fire several rounds with his 9-mm Beretta, including one that would mark his killer. The round flew through the car door, hitting Magallon in the abdomen, according to Deputy Dist. Atty Darren Levine.

Sparkes, 53, died at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, where he supervised the security force. A 30-year veteran of the county Police Department, he is survived by his wife, an adult stepdaughter and a 7-year-old son.

Magallon was convicted in July of first-degree murder and second-degree robbery. The conviction included a special circumstance charge of murder during an attempted robbery and murder during a drive-by shooting.

The jury also found multiple special allegations, including murder to enhance a street gang and personal use of a firearm, according to prosecutors.

His accomplice, Orvis Camilo Anthony, 24, pleaded guilty in September to first-degree murder and was sentenced to 50 years to life in state prison, said Shiara Dávila-Morales, a spokeswoman for the L.A. County district attorney’s office.

In imposing the death penalty, Kennedy concluded that Magallon had shown no remorse and rejected his attorney’s contention that Anthony was the force behind the crime.

“It is the defendant...who exited the car,” Kennedy said.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

I hope he actually sees death....

Comment

They forgot to add the EME hits he did while in jail. I hope his sentence is carried out swiftly.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Smurfette
      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
      Originally posted by DAL
      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
        They forgot to add the EME hits he did while in jail. I hope his sentence is carried out swiftly.
        If he dies swiftly, it will only be because another inmate got to him. Unfortunately, death penalty appeals go directly to the California Supreme Court and take a very long time to process. And then there are the federal habeas petitions.
        Last edited by DAL; 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

too bad his partner got off easy

Comment

I was in the courtroom when he was sentenced. You should have seen the smirk on his face. Miserable piece of S**T.

I'd like to be the one that gets to push the button to give him his "Injection" on that great day when he meets his maker.

I was the watch sergeant at Harbor that fateful morning, and are very fond of Captain Sparkes and his legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
              If he dies swiftly, it will only be because another inmate got to him. Unfortunately, death penalty appeals go directly to the California Supreme Court and take a very long time to process. And then there are the federal habeas petitions.
              Sh*** Richard Ramirez is still on death row. This P.O.S. has a better chance of dying from natural causes before he's executed.
              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by offmts View Post
                I was in the courtroom when he was sentenced. You should have seen the smirk on his face. Miserable piece of S**T.

I'd like to be the one that gets to push the button to give him his "Injection" on that great day when he meets his maker.

I was the watch sergeant at Harbor that fateful morning, and are very fond of Captain Sparkes and his legacy.
                I saw you on the news. I also saw his POS face on the news and the smirk you speak of. It would have been nice if the judge had someone wipe it off his face.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Smurfette
                Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                Originally posted by DAL
                You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                  Sh*** Richard Ramirez is still on death row. This P.O.S. has a better chance of dying from natural causes before he's executed.
                  thats what I was thinking....only in Cali

Comment

It would be ashamed if he fell down a flight of stairs on the way to jail. Anyone want Waffles?
                    Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by offmts View Post

Lead injection is what the POS needs.

Comment

Yeah, lead would work!!!

Comment

hopefully our brothers/sisters in green will show him so love
                          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

I personally miss the Electric Chair, it gets right to the point.... I'm a fan of frying meat not giving a shot putting the guy to sleep, then a shot to slow down his heart and then another shot to stop his heart. What the hell, I want him to feel those voltz... Now let him yell "south sidezzzzzz" (shaking in the chair).......
                            LASD
                            We do the best for less with less....

Comment

i love waffles! I'll leave the light on for him if he arrives on my watch.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5690 users online. 316 members and 5374 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X