300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lapd

I'm curious as to how life on the LAPD is. For instance, how is the pay and how difficult is it to be promoted (I've heard and seen that LAPD officers are one of the highest paid in teh country)? I know that a bachelor's degree will help increase your pay a bit, but is it much of a factor in the decision of being promoted to detective? Finally, how are the benefits, like retirement and health insurance? Thanks in advance for the information.

-d34

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 12-05-2009, 05:56 AM.
    Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor34 View Post
      I'm curious as to how life on the LAPD is. For instance, how is the pay and how difficult is it to be promoted (I've heard and seen that LAPD officers are one of the highest paid in teh country)? I know that a bachelor's degree will help increase your pay a bit, but is it much of a factor in the decision of being promoted to detective? Finally, how are the benefits, like retirement and health insurance? Thanks in advance for the information.

-d34
      If you are squared away, there's a chance to promote in approx 5 yrs( Detective or Sgt) + different duty assignments that can carry you away from having to rub shoulders with folks who have to get down in the "dirt" to get the job done( being "nasty" about the last comment- meeting to many private industry folks who come to L.E. with the "i'm a office man" attitude)

From what I've seen and been around,LAPD likes "workers" who can think. Starting Pay is about $57K to $79K/yr BEFORE longevity, patrol bonus, promotional,specialty PAY( a neighbor with the same time on the job as me,makes about $96K/yr to my $90K, and will make at least $110-120K as a top step Sgt).But you don't get extra pay for your college degree- if you are hired ,you will come into the job at a higher pay step than most entry level personnel without it( but thats rare as everyone now applying has a degree)
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

When I left, two years ago (and I haven't heard it has changed), the medical plans were (1) Killer Kaiser, (2) Blue Cross PPO, and (3) Blue Cross HMO. The City will pay outright for you. Spouses/S-O's and kids cost extra.

I retired as a minimum wage sergeant at 30+ with my pension "fixed" at 29 years...77% of my $104K yearly salary. It was "fixed" at 29 years as I went on the DROP plan (DROP is more than you need to hear about, right now, no way of knowing if it will be available when you are set to retire).

Life insurance plans offered through LAPPL (union) are all term life insurance....meaning that the older you get, the less they will pay if you die. The rates are cheap, but you would do well to have another whole life insurance policy from another outside provider.

AFLAC is available.

L.A. offers deferred compensation plans.
        Last edited by Kieth M.; 10-17-2009, 11:30 PM.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2749 users online. 151 members and 2598 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X