Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before Jobs open back up/

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How long before Jobs open back up/

    I searched and didn't find anything, so I aplogize if it's already been asked, but how long do you estimate it'll be before agencies in California open hiring back up and it's easier to find a job?

    From what I've heard, people are expecting openings to start popping up in about 1 year, and in about 2 years hiring should be back to how it used to be. I have read that this is due to the Baby Boomers retiring, hence creating more open positions, as well as the economy slowly getting better. I also read on here that with the given state of the economy, self sponsoring is not a bad idea, because it saves the departments the academy cost, as well as salary during the academy, and you're also ready to work immediately.


    I was just wondering if this information sounds accurate? I'm planning on putting myself through the Extended Academy which is 10 months, in hope that in a year, the economy will be better and it'll be easier for me to find a job as a Police Officer.
    Thanks for any input.
    CHICKS DIG IT!!!

  • #2
    I don't think anyone can really answer this question, it really depends on the economy. However, no matter what the economy is doing eventually all departments will have to continue to hire again.

    Comment


    • #3
      If one could answer the question with any certainty, one could have a top job in Washington DC. Come on young person, stop and think! Read the papers, listen to the news. Your question is not answerable......
      Last edited by SgtCHP; 10-14-2009, 06:34 PM.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

      [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

      Comment


      • #4
        Whenever the state turns it's budget around, the municipalities fill follow suit.

        Maybe in a year, maybe two. I play economist part time, I'm seeing some slight recovery at this point, it's going to take at least 3 years to get back where we *were.*

        Comment


        • #5
          I think you're looking at least 3 years for any recovery to happen.

          Recovery is incumbent upon the money flow. People aren't earning, so they aren't paying taxes, and taxes fuel government. It's just the way the system works. The economic growth before was fueled by an over-extension of credit lines. Everyone (consumer and government) maximized upon it, and this is why we are in this pickle. Any recovery will be slow and gradual, and the "slight" recovery is only due to the government throwing money to the corporate hyenas in hopes of spurring growth. It won't work long-term, because you gotta ask -- where the heck are they going to get the money to continually funding the jobs if the companies/local government can't do it on its own? Short-term solution to long-term problem. Call me a pessimist, but I think there is another bottoming out around the corner pretty soon.

          If you have funds to spare that you don't need for several months of a rainy parade, then I would go the self-sponsored route. If not, then hold onto your bucks.

          Comment


          • #6
            ...................
            Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 12-05-2009, 05:56 AM.
            Gotta catch em allll.........

            Comment


            • #7
              There are still agencies actively hiring in CA. In the SF Bay Area, I know for a fact that Hayward PD, BART PD, and Richmond PD are currently hiring. I'm sure there are many others.

              65817

              Comment


              • #8
                I think things are going to be bad for years to come all over. Not just CA. In fact I think things are going to get worse. This country is going into way to much debt. Sooner or later we got to pay the bill and it ain't gonna be pretty.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SHU View Post
                  I think things are going to be bad for years to come all over. Not just CA. In fact I think things are going to get worse. This country is going into way to much debt. Sooner or later we got to pay the bill and it ain't gonna be pretty.
                  The debt this country has thusfar undertaken - since January 2009 - will still be a debt and cared for by our grandchildrens' grandchildren and perhaps beyond!
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

                  [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                    The debt this country has thusfar undertaken - since January 2009 - will still be a debt and cared for by our grandchildrens' grandchildren and perhaps beyond!
                    The main problem is the government has borrowed so much, add to that they're going to something on medical ( read public option i.e. single payer system) which is going to force them to borrow more and then they're going to dump the uninsured i.e. illegals, into medicare for the sates to fund. Result-higher taxes at both state and federal level, higher preimums and the individual has less money to spend and the economy goes further down.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by OCEnforcer29 View Post
                      I searched and didn't find anything, so I aplogize if it's already been asked, but how long do you estimate it'll be before agencies in California open hiring back up and it's easier to find a job?
                      I'll let you know!
                      In backgrounds ...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
                        I think you're looking at least 3 years for any recovery to happen.

                        Recovery is incumbent upon the money flow. People aren't earning, so they aren't paying taxes, and taxes fuel government. It's just the way the system works. The economic growth before was fueled by an over-extension of credit lines. Everyone (consumer and government) maximized upon it, and this is why we are in this pickle. Any recovery will be slow and gradual, and the "slight" recovery is only due to the government throwing money to the corporate hyenas in hopes of spurring growth. It won't work long-term, because you gotta ask -- where the heck are they going to get the money to continually funding the jobs if the companies/local government can't do it on its own? Short-term solution to long-term problem. Call me a pessimist, but I think there is another bottoming out around the corner pretty soon.

                        If you have funds to spare that you don't need for several months of a rainy parade, then I would go the self-sponsored route. If not, then hold onto your bucks.
                        Unfortunately, I agree. These "green shoots" are about to get mowed, if you will. I'm in the investment management industry, and it's just the way I see it going based on information I hear and see.

                        Personally, I don't think we will return to the way things were back in '06/'07 for at least 5 years, if not a decade or more. Real estate prices surely won't be coming up to where they were again for a long time. High real estate prices = higher property tax income = more money to hire. I don't think you'll see hiring like it "was" for a very long time, if ever. The caveat to this is the fact that America has a remarkable ability to "forget" and a new bubble in some unknown asset class may form again, spurring the economy (and thus taxable income / sales taxes = more hiring).

                        There will be hiring regardless, but I think just not on a grand scale where anyone with a third of a brain and the ability to scale a 6 foot wall in three minutes on the second attempt will be hired.

                        This means you must be even more polished than the rest - as the older guys say "the way it used to be".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Badkharma View Post
                          Unfortunately, I agree. These "green shoots" are about to get mowed, if you will. I'm in the investment management industry, and it's just the way I see it going based on information I hear and see.

                          Personally, I don't think we will return to the way things were back in '06/'07 for at least 5 years, if not a decade or more. Real estate prices surely won't be coming up to where they were again for a long time. High real estate prices = higher property tax income = more money to hire. I don't think you'll see hiring like it "was" for a very long time, if ever. The caveat to this is the fact that America has a remarkable ability to "forget" and a new bubble in some unknown asset class may form again, spurring the economy (and thus taxable income / sales taxes = more hiring).

                          There will be hiring regardless, but I think just not on a grand scale where anyone with a third of a brain and the ability to scale a 6 foot wall in three minutes on the second attempt will be hired.

                          This means you must be even more polished than the rest - as the older guys say "the way it used to be".
                          I agree, the 3 year gauge was for those "green shoots" as you mentioned. It's not THE recovery, but a "recovery".

                          Man I should have invested in gold 5 years ago. I would have been rich today!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
                            I agree, the 3 year gauge was for those "green shoots" as you mentioned. It's not THE recovery, but a "recovery".

                            Man I should have invested in gold 5 years ago. I would have been rich today!
                            Sheesh, no kidding. When I was fresh out of college years ago I started out as a futures / commodities trader and gold was ~$350 and oil ~$30. I remember that winter day when front-month gold futures traded through $400 / oz. It was unbelieveable; a huge milestone at the time. People thought it would run out and retrace.

                            Ditto with oil through $40. Insanity!!!

                            Now it's like, "wow, those were the days."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Interesting, thanks for the input. You older guys have a little wiser view on this kind of stuff since you have been around the block once or twice before.
                              CHICKS DIG IT!!!

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3002 users online. 142 members and 2860 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X