Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California Agencies

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • California Agencies

    I am possibly moving to the San Diego area here in the next few months, and am curious how CA agencies process applicants? Do you need put yourself through an academy, or does an agency put you through the process, then your enrolled in an academy?

    Second question, I've seen the news for San Diego County hiring freeze..anyone know of anywhere close by that is hiring, or will be in the near future?
    “The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.”

    -Captain Patrick Etheridge, U.S Life Saving Service

  • #2
    If you're serious about a career in LE, do not move to Southern CA right now. It's horrible down here, and getting worse. Three agencies I have applied for over the past coupla years have all ended in either a hiring freeze, or just a lack of open positions due to cutbacks. Stay put, join a local agency, and maybe lateral in within a couple of years once SD digs itself out of this deep financial pit.

    Comment


    • #3
      It depends on the agency. Most of the bigger departments would insist you attend their academy, and that is after you are hired.
      Consider a statewide agency. Most, if not all would have an office or two in D38.
      We are hiring, and judging by a couple threads on this board, so is the CHP. Specialized LE no doulbt- but both are good outfits to work for.
      A person only needs one agency to be hiring. I was hired during a freeze because I refused to listen to the doomsayers. I suspected at the time, and now believe even more, that they didn't want me around as competion.

      Comment


      • #4
        CHP is the only LEA hiring now as far as I know.

        Comment


        • #5
          .................
          Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 12-05-2009, 06:09 AM.
          Gotta catch em allll.........

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SHU View Post
            CHP is the only LEA hiring now as far as I know.
            Santa Ana is also hiring.

            Comment


            • #7
              There are a few departments hiring throughout San Diego County, Orange County and Los Angeles County, but very few. A lot of agencies hiring want Lateral Officers. I know LAPD is pretty much always hiring, LASD is not on a hiring freeze from what I know, however is not accepting applications at this time. I'm putting myself through an extended academy, in hopes that in a year, hiring will be better, and I'll also have a leg up on the competition because I'll be done with the academy.

              EDIT: I stand corrected, I just read another thread, LAPD has stopped recruitment until next year.
              Last edited by OCEnforcer29; 10-07-2009, 12:10 PM.
              CHICKS DIG IT!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
                We are hiring
                Hey 417, who do you work for that is hiring? Sheriff? Truly actively hiring, or just list forming?

                Thanks.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by OCEnforcer29 View Post
                  There are a few departments hiring throughout San Diego County, Orange County and Los Angeles County, but very few. A lot of agencies hiring want Lateral Officers. I know LAPD is pretty much always hiring, LASD is not on a hiring freeze from what I know, however is not accepting applications at this time. I'm putting myself through an extended academy, in hopes that in a year, hiring will be better, and I'll also have a leg up on the competition because I'll be done with the academy.

                  EDIT: I stand corrected, I just read another thread, LAPD has stopped recruitment until next year.
                  This could not be further from the truth.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
                    It depends on the agency. Most of the bigger departments would insist you attend their academy, and that is after you are hired.
                    Consider a statewide agency. Most, if not all would have an office or two in D38.
                    We are hiring, and judging by a couple threads on this board, so is the CHP. Specialized LE no doulbt- but both are good outfits to work for.
                    A person only needs one agency to be hiring. I was hired during a freeze because I refused to listen to the doomsayers. I suspected at the time, and now believe even more, that they didn't want me around as competion.
                    You are the exception, not the rule. Even with a 4-year or substantial military experience, it is still slim-to-none right now in SoCal (minus the CHP and such).

                    I would break it down by budgets and numbers, but I don't have the time.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Gearilla View Post
                      Hey 417, who do you work for that is hiring? Sheriff? Truly actively hiring, or just list forming?

                      Thanks.
                      He works for the Department of Fish and Game............

                      http://www.dfg.ca.gov/
                      Last edited by SgtCHP; 10-07-2009, 06:44 PM.
                      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

                      [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Gearilla View Post
                        Hey 417, who do you work for that is hiring? Sheriff? Truly actively hiring, or just list forming?

                        Thanks.
                        Ca. Fish and Game. We don't do multiple simultaneous classes and accept applications 24 / 7 / 365- never have. One regular class and now one lateral class per year. Apps just closed and I got a couple thank you PM's saying that they have a written real soon. Our last class graduated the last week of August and there is a 7 week lateral class real soon.
                        Truly actively hiring, or just list forming?
                        If we are forming a list, it is to offer people a job. We don't have a hiring unit that does part of its function just to stay busy. We haven't had a year without a class in 18 years.

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          I remember when PORAC had pages and pages of job openings....

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 4646 users online. 284 members and 4362 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X