300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting my self through the Academy.

I was wondering if it was a good idea if I should put my self throught the academy because of how the economy is and then try and apply to be a police officer. Is that a good Idea If anyone has any suggestions and advice I would like to hear it please. I just did the sheriff's backround but they said even if we make it that night of orientaition then they have only hired 14 officers this year. This is for San Diego Sheriff's Dept.
    San Diego Sheriffs:
    Written-08/15/09 Passed
    Orientation-09/09/09 Passed
    Background Interview-9/29/09 On A Waive
    Polygraph-
    LT Interview-
    Written Psych-
    Medical-
    Psych Interview-

FAMS:
    Applied 02/10
    Met Quals 03/10
    Contingent Offer5/10

San Diego Harbor Police
    Applied- 08/10

I wouldnt.....

Besides costing you the price of the academy, AND the fact that you will be unable to also work a paying job will in the academy, you will also not be making the 4-6K a month that you would be making as a paid academy recruit.

Depending on which exact agency you want to work for, a 'self sponsored' academy will also not get you hired one iota faster that going through a hiring process anyway.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I wouldn't either- despite the fact that I did just that. The class costs were nothing compared to the cost of living while not earning a paycheck. I even liquidated a lot of assets, including Harleys and firearms.
      Ultimately, I had to walk away from the academy a few weeks before it was over. I did so only because I was high on the department's hiring eligibility list. I knew that when the hiring freeze was lifted, my place on that list would mean more than my classmates' academy cert. I was right. A few weeks after leaving the self-sponsored class I was contacted and hired. The academy was a breeze the second time through.
      Not all of the graduates from that first class were picked up. There was still a matter of the background, psych, physical, and the written and oral tests. Except the oral and physical, you don't have a lot of control over the outcomes and they can end your whole plan.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
        I wouldnt.....

Besides costing you the price of the academy, AND the fact that you will be unable to also work a paying job will in the academy, you will also not be making the 4-6K a month that you would be making as a paid academy recruit.

Depending on which exact agency you want to work for, a 'self sponsored' academy will also not get you hired one iota faster that going through a hiring process anyway.
        4 to 6K during the academy? Where is that??!!
        Last edited by HPDPOSSIBLE; 10-04-2009, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias7 View Post
          I was wondering if it was a good idea if I should put my self throught the academy because of how the economy is and then try and apply to be a police officer. Is that a good Idea If anyone has any suggestions and advice I would like to hear it please. I just did the sheriff's backround but they said even if we make it that night of orientaition then they have only hired 14 officers this year. This is for San Diego Sheriff's Dept.
          Unless you have a Doctorate, clean background, your POST Basic, years on the job already; I really don't see it happening. Or at the very least, insiders who know you personally and can recommend you through. Background for SDSO is really tough and competitive right now, and I felt like I was walking on egg shells when dealing with them. Others I have ran into that got hired elsewhere(one from my academy) have said the same thing.

Being self-sponsored used to be a way in, but honestly, you will probably only find reserve opportunities. Some agencies are laying off full-time officers. I am working non-sworn, unpaid at an agency right now, there is already talk of cutting back 10% of its workforce (sworn and non-sworn), and on top of that, there is a fair share of officers who are retiring as well. It's not looking good at all.
          Last edited by avalon42; 10-04-2009, 12:28 AM.

Comment

right now the only thing it might do is allow you to apply to a few more departments but then you sre competing with officer who were recently laid off and what not. go back to school, get a degree and wait it out with the rest of us.
            If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by HPDPOSSIBLE View Post
              4 to 6K during the academy? Where is that??!!
              Los Angeles

Both LA City and LA County pay in those ranges for recruits.....depending on education ect
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I do not know about you, but in the San Francisco bay area, putting yourself through a academy self-sponsored helps a ton! Let's just put it this way. Not only are you showing departments how dedicated that you are by putting yourself through, (By the way, I'm putting myself through, in the third week) but the academy will help you be in great shape for any physical exams, and will help you learn to speak fluently and clearly for any oral board process. The biggest part about putting yourself through an academy is this. Let's say me and you apply at the same department. We have similar test scores, similar oral boards, and similar backgrounds...but I have put myself through an academy, and you have not...you have no chance in hell unless you have an inside connection or something like that. I can count with my hands and feet a ton of people in my area that have been hired because of putting themselves through. Go on ride alongs and ask people, the first thing that they will ask you is "What academy are you in?" If you don't want to put yourself through that's good, let me apply at the same places as you and make it easier for me to get the job. lol.

Comment

BWM,

What you are saying sounds like it works in the Bay Area, and maybe NoCal....

It does NOT work for SoCal, esp. for any of the large departments in the LA area. And it looks like the OP wants to work down south...

Comment

Sorry about that. Just trying to help. Your right, it is not the same down sound. When people ask me whether to put themselves through or not over here, I tell them to check online for the departments open jobs. All you will find over here is the following...

Police officer LATERAL / ACADEMY GRADUATE . . .

NO more entry level . .

Sorry. I do not know about SoCal.

Comment

There are multiple recruit entry level LEO postings in Northern California. I just took a written last week and have another this Tuesday. SFPD also is just now mailing letters out for their recruit academy.

Comment

Originally posted by B_w_M View Post
                        I do not know about you, but in the San Francisco bay area, putting yourself through a academy self-sponsored helps a ton! Let's just put it this way. Not only are you showing departments how dedicated that you are by putting yourself through, (By the way, I'm putting myself through, in the third week) but the academy will help you be in great shape for any physical exams, and will help you learn to speak fluently and clearly for any oral board process. The biggest part about putting yourself through an academy is this. Let's say me and you apply at the same department. We have similar test scores, similar oral boards, and similar backgrounds...but I have put myself through an academy, and you have not...you have no chance in hell unless you have an inside connection or something like that. I can count with my hands and feet a ton of people in my area that have been hired because of putting themselves through. Go on ride alongs and ask people, the first thing that they will ask you is "What academy are you in?" If you don't want to put yourself through that's good, let me apply at the same places as you and make it easier for me to get the job. lol.
                        Yeah I could not agree more. I am not familiar with So. Cals hiring situation, but that is the way it is working on the Central Coast and the Bay area nowadays.

Comment

makes a lot of sense to consider canidates with POST certs....saves Cities/Countis lots of money.

Also, something that does not get mentioned too much for anyone self-sponsoring themselves is the shelf life of a post cert. I believe Basic Post has a expires within 3 years if you are not an active peace officer.

just food for thought

Comment

I do not know about you, but in the San Francisco bay area, putting yourself through a academy self-sponsored helps a ton!
                            I'd like to know how that works. There is no such thing as secret brownie points at any stage of the hiring process. To be able to buy your way to a higher score by putting yourself through an academy would never be allowed.
                            I'm still curious how going through an academy would help one pass the polygraph, physical (let's say, the color or uncorrected vision test or the swim test) or the psych.
                            I guess it would take a lot of confidence.
                            Last edited by 417Lt; 10-05-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmjr View Post
                              makes a lot of sense to consider canidates with POST certs....saves Cities/Countis lots of money.

Also, something that does not get mentioned too much for anyone self-sponsoring themselves is the shelf life of a post cert. I believe Basic Post has a expires within 3 years if you are not an active peace officer.

just food for thought
                              That is correct....the basic cert expires after 3 years, and then you have to do a re-cert class, which is around 3-4 weeks.

The major problem for the OP, and anyone else putting themselves through the academy is that you do NOT GET a 'Basic POST' certificate upon graduation....you dont get that until you have been EMPLOYED as a LEO for a year....then you get the basic certificate.

What you get is an academy certificate...thats it......which might get you hired by a smaller agency, because as you pointed out, they did not have to shell out a bunch of money to send someone to the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5233 users online. 290 members and 4943 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X