300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHP Academy

Invitations to join Cadet Training Class I-10 have been sent out. I believe the class begins on 4 Jan 2010. This will be the next class for the CHP.

Two classes are currently in training. CTC II-09 will graduate in about 8-9 weeks and CTC III-09 in about 18 weeks or so.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Do you have any idea how many applicants are on the list at any given time? I just completed the process last month. I'm the 38 year old, so I'm anxious to get it done before too long. I hope i'm included in for this class. Thanks for your post.
    Thank you to all that serve.

Comment

I thought CHP had an age cut off of 35? True of False?

Comment

If you are on active duty and will be over the maximum age, you can submit a waiver in order to complete your military obligation.

Comment

Just turned 38 a few weeks ago. I was active duty military and got an age waiver a few years back. Will be checking the mailbox every day for the next year. Hope to go soon.
          Thank you to all that serve.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty57 View Post
            Just turned 38 a few weeks ago. I was active duty military and got an age waiver a few years back. Will be checking the mailbox every day for the next year. Hope to go soon.
            Sir, I don't know how old the list is that you are on, but I would offer the suggestion that you contact your background investigator to see if (s)he can provide you an answer. I do not have any access to the information you are seeking.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

Comment

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 12-05-2009, 06:24 AM.
              Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Read the statement. It says a reduction from DUI to Reckless Driving. Was your reckless driving incident the result of a plea bargain from DUI? I think not!

Just be certain to list all traffic violations as required and explain them if necessary.

Good Luck!

Comment

Last edited by SBSO_DISPATCHER; 12-05-2009, 06:24 AM.
                  Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Not to Hi-Jack the thread, but I do have a question about CHP in Southern California.

What is life like for a So-Cal CHP officer? I know that in other areas CHP has canine and swat teams, investigative departments etc. But around here there is already an overlap in city police and county sheriffs to do that kind of work. So what is CHP's role? From some city PD officers I've heard them call CHP "Triple A with a Gun", but I couldn't tell if that was a serious assessment or merely interdepartmental rivalry

Comment

Unless you are seriously committed to the CHP hiring process and becoming a CHP officer, I wouldn’t even bother applying unless you are willing to wait a very very long time. If it's not something you really want then please dont apply because you are only slowing the process down for the rest of those who really want it. There are just so many applicants right now, here is how it is looking. If you were to apply for the next CHP testing cycle, you would be looking at a 2 year wait minimum before even getting an academy invite.

I know people who finished everything in April/May 2009 and didn’t even get invited to CTC 1-10 and the wait for invites is getting even longer for those finishing now.

Also, the wait time from QAP until the initial interview can be almost 10 months. Like I said, this process takes forever and unless you want this more than anything, it will be a very long time coming.

Another heads up, they are raising the minimum QAP scores needed to enter backgrounds from 70 to 85 and I wouldn’t be surprised if that continues to 95 soon. Good luck to you.

Originally posted by Andrewthetanman View Post
                      Not to Hi-Jack the thread, but I do have a question about CHP in Southern California.

What is life like for a So-Cal CHP officer? I know that in other areas CHP has canine and swat teams, investigative departments etc. But around here there is already an overlap in city police and county sheriffs to do that kind of work. So what is CHP's role? From some city PD officers I've heard them call CHP "Triple A with a Gun", but I couldn't tell if that was a serious assessment or merely interdepartmental rivalry

Comment

From some city PD officers I've heard them call CHP "Triple A with a Gun", but I couldn't tell if that was a serious assessment or merely interdepartmental rivalry
                        Or maybe interdepartmental envy..

Comment

Theoverall job is the same throughout the state. The Northern areas, away from the metropolitan areas are like the Southern areas. Many roads to patrol, many crimes encountered and many incidents to become involved in. It makes no difference where you work in the state it is how you work that makes the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossFit View Post
                            Unless you are seriously committed to the CHP hiring process and becoming a CHP officer, I wouldn’t even bother applying unless you are willing to wait a very very long time. If it's not something you really want then please dont apply because you are only slowing the process down for the rest of those who really want it. There are just so many applicants right now, here is how it is looking. If you were to apply for the next CHP testing cycle, you would be looking at a 2 year wait minimum before even getting an academy invite.

I know people who finished everything in April/May 2009 and didn’t even get invited to CTC 1-10 and the wait for invites is getting even longer for those finishing now.

Also, the wait time from QAP until the initial interview can be almost 10 months. Like I said, this process takes forever and unless you want this more than anything, it will be a very long time coming.

Another heads up, they are raising the minimum QAP scores needed to enter backgrounds from 70 to 85 and I wouldn’t be surprised if that continues to 95 soon. Good luck to you.
                            My friend, there are truths and non-truths in your post. The truths are these: The CHP is actively recruiting and hiring. There are currently two classes of greater than 100 trainees currently operating in the Academy. Another class is scheduled to start in Jan 2010.

The department can afford to become more selective in its vetting process because of the demands for positions. Therefore, they can raise minimum standards, adjust acceptable passing grades and strive for persons with higher education. That is called professionalism. It also creates greater competition for the positions available.

As a positive supporter of the agency I am offended by your comments in trying to discourage applicants. I don't know if you are in the process or trying to eliminate competition; but, I can tell you this, if you fail to meet minimum standards in any phase of the testing process you will not be accepted. If you do not possess the necessary skills to successfully complete the academy, you will be eliiminated. If you fail to pass field training, you will be gone.

If you continue in your negative approach about the department, its processes or performance, I will make it my task to identify you and see that you are removed from the process - if you are, in fact, actively pursuing a career with the CHP. That said, I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

Final note: The process length is determined by how much background investigating needs to be done, how high on the list one is successful in attaining and how many openings there are to be filled in the academy.

Feel fortunate that you are applying in this day and age. When I tested, tests were given every two years and the process could literally take that long to get an offer. Most offers are going out within 10 to 15 months these days.
                            Last edited by SgtCHP; 10-05-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossFit View Post
                              Or maybe interdepartmental envy..
                              We, the CHP, do not look at it as envy. It is clearly minor banter between other agencies and the CHP. There is a highly respectable camaraderie between every agency with which I have had the pleasure of working or encountering. Every officer selects his or her agency for the work they hope to perform - criminal, civil or traffic. No agency is above another!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5806 users online. 329 members and 5477 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X