300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN on dash requirement?

Is there a PC that states the VIN needs to be on the dash in plain view?

Long story short: I’m turning in a currently registered and insured car into a track/race car. The registration will be maintained. This is a Miata SPEC car, and basically per the rules maintains its stock nature all around (only safety items are installed, nothing else is removed, heck, the horn has to stay in the original location even).

I replaced the original dash with a better one. Of course the VIN numbers need to be swapped or removed.

So, do I need to go to the trouble of re riveting the correct VIN on the new dash or can I leave it off? The car is not without a VIN. The VIN is also stamped on the firewall in plain view when the hood is up. The doors are also original and have the VIN's on them, but those in due time will likely get knocked around and replaced as well.

This is merely a technicality, being it will be a race car I don’t anticipate it being on the road much, but it’s nice I can since the DYNO shop is just down the street.

Thanks,

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

10751. (a) No person shall knowingly buy, sell, offer for sale,
    receive, or have in his or her possession, any vehicle, or component
    part thereof, from which any serial or identification number,
    including, but not limited to, any number used for registration
    purposes, that is affixed by the manufacturer to the vehicle or
    component part, in whatever manner deemed proper by the manufacturer,
    has been removed
    , defaced, altered, or destroyed, unless the vehicle
    or component part has attached thereto an identification number
    assigned or approved by the department in lieu of the manufacturer's
    number.

I know it doesn't specifically say the dashboard location but from this CVC, it states deemed proper by the manufacturer. SgtCHP could probably clarify the vehicle code violation better.

Comment

Having a dash vin is only a requirement after 1967 I think. I have a 65 Mustang that has no dash vin....one was never installed, just stamped (among other places) on the driver side fender apron. But if you are gonna maintain it for SCCA races, a dash vin is required....and yes, for DMV purposes. Good luck finding the proper theft-deterrent devices for it.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Smurfette
      Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
      Originally posted by DAL
      You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I guess that sort of confirms what I really didn't want to do

Bascially, I have to rivit it back on the new dash from what it looks like.

What happens is with the roll cage in there the old dash came out and we replaced it with one that was cut up to fit around the cage.

These dashes are incredibly easy to take out. As for theft deterent, well, it's a race car. It's only going to be in one of three places at any given time. Our commerical auto shop garage. The enclosed race trailer in transport, or in the pits at the track.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
        - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
          It's only going to be in one of three places at any given time. Our commerical auto shop garage. The enclosed race trailer in transport, or in the pits at the track.
          I, uh, noticed that, well, on the track does not seem to be one of the places it might be seen...
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

As for theft deterent, well, it's a race car. It's only going to be in one of three places at any given time.
            I was talking about the special VIN rivets...
            sigpic
            Originally posted by Smurfette
            Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
            Originally posted by DAL
            You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I guess that sort of confirms what I really didn't want to do

Bascially, I have to rivit it back on the new dash from what it looks like.
              If you rivet the old "public" VIN on your new dash, you'll cause more problems than you'll solve. Contact the CHP and they'll apply a "blue tag" (replacement ID) on the dash in question.
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4018 users online. 209 members and 3809 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X