Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good rookie departments in the Bay Area?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good rookie departments in the Bay Area?

If there is such a thing. I'm just thinking about where I'd want to apply a little further down the road. Are there departments out there that are regarded as a good fit for new LE?
    Last edited by concon02; 09-28-2009, 12:25 AM.

Patrol is patrol no matter where you are. But, if you really want to learn and be a good street cop, try Oakland PD, San Jose PD, or SFPD.

Comment

Any word on Oakland starting to hire again? Only big city Bay Area department I've heard hiring is San Jose.

Comment

Originally posted by EricDel View Post
        Any word on Oakland starting to hire again? Only big city Bay Area department I've heard hiring is San Jose.
        Santa Clara County Sheriff is hiring.

Comment

If your a good rookie...then the department may treat you well lol
          What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

Originally posted by syphon157 View Post
            Patrol is patrol no matter where you are. But, if you really want to learn and be a good street cop, try Oakland PD, San Jose PD, or SFPD.
            I'd love to work SJPD or SFPD. Oakland isn't really ideal, but I'm sure I'll end up considering the department, come application time.

Are there any major drawbacks or advantages in picking a smaller department over a large one, or vice versa?

Comment

right now a good "rookie department" is the department that will hire you.....

Comment

Originally posted by VChopefull View Post
                right now a good "rookie department" is the department that will hire you.....
                Haha +1 VERY true. You can't be picky in this economy.

Comment

What do you mean by a good rookie department? One that doesn't have many experienced officers? One that will give someone preferred assignments before they have made their bones? One where senior guys won't say anything when a rookie runs his mouth too much or gets comfortable right off the bat and thinks he's salty?
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    What do you mean by a good rookie department? One that doesn't have many experienced officers? One that will give someone preferred assignments before they have made their bones? One where senior guys won't say anything when a rookie runs his mouth too much or gets comfortable right off the bat and thinks he's salty?

I'm not a rookie, nor a cop at all, so I don't know what kind of environment is really best for a rookie, but I figured if someone here had an idea of what that is, maybe they would have a suggestion. I'm thinking size of the department, level of crime, reputation of FTO program, politics in general etc. as being factors.
                    Last edited by concon02; 09-30-2009, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Given those criteria, pretty much anywhere is a good place for a rookie. Large or small, every department has it benefits and drawbacks. At a big, very busy department, you'll go to a lot of high-priority calls, get a lot of action and often just put band-aids on a situation and go on to the next. At small agencies, you'll follow up on a lot of incidents and crimes yourself, get to spend a lot more time meeting and chatting with the good guys in town and being able to deal with things in more depth from a patrolman level.

As far as field training, the tougher the better. Field training sets the foundation for your career, and if you are held to the highest standards, not given much slack and required to do everything by the book and thoroughly, you will be much better off for it.

As a rookie, you won't be aware of most department politics, and believe me, you're better off that way. Department politics can change, anyway, and what may be not so great at one time can be one of the best places to work a few years later when a chief retires and they bring in someone new, or some disgruntled troublemakers leave.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Cool. Thank you for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                          Given those criteria, pretty much anywhere is a good place for a rookie. Large or small, every department has it benefits and drawbacks. At a big, very busy department, you'll go to a lot of high-priority calls, get a lot of action and often just put band-aids on a situation and go on to the next. At small agencies, you'll follow up on a lot of incidents and crimes yourself, get to spend a lot more time meeting and chatting with the good guys in town and being able to deal with things in more depth from a patrolman level.

As far as field training, the tougher the better. Field training sets the foundation for your career, and if you are held to the highest standards, not given much slack and required to do everything by the book and thoroughly, you will be much better off for it.

As a rookie, you won't be aware of most department politics, and believe me, you're better off that way. Department politics can change, anyway, and what may be not so great at one time can be one of the best places to work a few years later when a chief retires and they bring in someone new, or some disgruntled troublemakers leave.
                          +1,000
                          ateamer for chief!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3409 users online. 247 members and 3162 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X