300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Citizen.

This might seem like an off the wall question but it's one I need answered.

I came to the U.S when I was 18 from Sweden to join the Marines.
    Now my enlistment is almost up and I've decided to attend College in southern California and after that I'm thinking about becoming a LEO. Local or Federal.

I realise that most recruiters/interviewers would notice the fact that I was born and raised in Sweden. I'm wondering whether this would have any impact on their decision whether to hire me or not. Would they question my motives for joining more then someone who's lived in the area their whole life?

Also would the fact that I served in the infantry and did three tours, count or do they not really care?

Thanks.

Mike

I do not think that it would be an issue.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I was born in Italy...I had no problem getting a job here in cali

Comment

First of all, thanks for serving here. That is something you did not have to do and I highly respect you for it. If I were king, you would have a job with no problems. It's probably agency specific though.

Your story hits home with me. My father in law was born in Mexico. When he was 3, his parents hopped the border and moved to LA. He grew up there with no problems and was drafted into the Army during Vietnam. He served 2 tours there. When he ETS'd, he worked for General Motors. He spent his whole career there and recently retired. He applied for citizenship a couple years ago and was denied because he was arrest for battery in the 70's. What the h*** is that about? I think he earned his citizenship.
        God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Did you get your citizenship yet or are you a LPR?
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

At some point you need to be a US citizen. Generally the rule is you must be applying for citizenship when you are hired.

Comment

I was born in Canada and have US citizenship now as well. All you need is your US citizenship. I doubt they would be concerned about where you were born, as long as your US citizenship is obviously valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Badkharma View Post
                I was born in Canada and have US citizenship now as well. All you need is your US citizenship. I doubt they would be concerned about where you were born, as long as your US citizenship is obviously valid.
                hey...me too...nice.

Comment

born in england, no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                    Did you get your citizenship yet or are you a LPR?

I've been a dual Citizen from birth. My Dad moved to Sweden from the U.S when he was young.

Thank you for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bully View Post
                      First of all, thanks for serving here. That is something you did not have to do and I highly respect you for it. If I were king, you would have a job with no problems. It's probably agency specific though.

Your story hits home with me. My father in law was born in Mexico. When he was 3, his parents hopped the border and moved to LA. He grew up there with no problems and was drafted into the Army during Vietnam. He served 2 tours there. When he ETS'd, he worked for General Motors. He spent his whole career there and recently retired. He applied for citizenship a couple years ago and was denied because he was arrest for battery in the 70's. What the h*** is that about? I think he earned his citizenship.
                      Had the same thing happen to a guy in my unit. Received two purple hearts and was later denied citizenship because of an assult charge. He just reapplied and hopefully he'll get it this time.

Thank you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4845 users online. 296 members and 4549 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X