300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Jose PD

I've been researching this agency and have a few questions for anyone familiar with them. Thanks in advance.

-Comp Time: Is comp time given at a 'time and a half' rate in instances where you would otherwise be paid that rate in cash?

-How severe are the restrictions in taking comp time?

-Shift Bids: How flexible is the bidding process for guys with no seniority? Does everyone off FTO end up working mids over the weekend? <---really wouldn't mind that...

-Military Experience: How big of a help are the veteran preference points in the hiring process?

-Pay: I heard you can hit top step pay ($116K) in 5 years with a BA degree- true?

-General: Any other thoughts on this agency?

Originally posted by swotivated View Post

-Military Experience: How big of a help are the veteran preference points in the hiring process?
    I don't think SJPD uses Veteran's Preference. Most departments in the area don't. I can think of ONE in the San Jose are that does, and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrStryker
      The City of San Jose gives Veterans Preference to several entry level positions, and the police recruit being one of them. http://www.sjpd.org/JoinSJPDBlue/Veterans.html. Here is the official letter on preference from the city of San Jose http://www.sanjoseca.gov/HumanResour...Preference.pdf. I also know that Santa Clara PD, Sunnyvale PD and Santa Clara Sheriff's office offers Veterans Preference. A lot of places won't advertise the points but you'll see it on the application. As far as your other questions I would talk to a recruiter and take a look at the MOU. Unless I was offered a position by several agencies I wouldn't worry about minor details in the contract.
      That's good to know that SJPD does.

Santa Clara PD does, but Sunnyvale DPS does not offer veterans preference points for their entry level position. SCC SO does offer the points, but the restrictions on timeframe since discharge is very limiting (must be discharged within five years of taking test).

It's worth pointing out that even if a city or county offers veterans preference points in general, it doesn't mean that it applies to a specific entry level position in law enforcement. I've applied to a couple of agencies where their parent organizations do offer the points, but the actual law enforcement position I applied for was not subject to the points be awarded. It seems they can be selective in their policies.

Some agencies put a lot of weight to the "T-score", while others don't use them at all. If you're applying to an agency that ranks applicants by T-score, and you're eligible for veterans preference points...that's a huge advantage.

Comment

Reading the City of San Jose policy on vet points, it really doesn't help anybody unless they fail to meet the passing T-score of the agency. It's only used for purposes of passing the exam, nothing more. No rank affected, no score changed. So if the minimum T-score required for employment is 46 and the candidate score 41, but has 5 vet pref points on tap...the candidate is allowed to continue in the process with a "passing" exam score. No real advantage there, since agencies are probably wanting to pursue applicants with scores over 60 and not 46.

I know that other agencies actually add the vet pref points on top of the actual score, which affects ranking. So a score of 65 can end up a 70, which puts that applicant in the driver's seat in most cases.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that any applicant could be in the driver's seat in this economy - Maybe in years gone by, but nowadays I'm seeing 200-400 people testing for agencies with a single opening and a minimum of 150 people showing up for agencies that are just building a list.

Comment

Originally posted by X1X1X1 View Post
            I find it hard to believe that any applicant could be in the driver's seat in this economy - Maybe in years gone by, but nowadays I'm seeing 200-400 people testing for agencies with a single opening and a minimum of 150 people showing up for agencies that are just building a list.
            Is it really that hard to get hired as a cop with a degree/ strong academic background, combat experience, and spotless record?

Maybe I'm just ignorant to the process

Comment

When you move beyond the research phase you'll see. There are tons of people applying, and tons more who under normal economic times probably wouldn't be applying, but the salary and stability of LEO jobs draws them like bees to honey.

Add that with the fact that many agencies (see San Diego, San Francisco, Oakland etc) have implemented a hiring freeze and yeah - It really is that hard to get hired.

Best of luck. You've got an edge for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by swotivated View Post
                Is it really that hard to get hired as a cop with a degree/ strong academic background, combat experience, and spotless record?

Maybe I'm just ignorant to the process
                These comments apply to hiring in the SF Bay Area right now. Other areas might be different.

Even with those credentials...if you have a low T-score, low PAT, and can't represent yourself well at an Oral Board or background interview...it's over for you. A successful candidate these days has to have all the areas of concern coming up aces. Weakness in just one dimension will probably spell failure despite how strong other areas are. It's simply that competitive right now. If a person has just one slight blemish, they're done (in most cases). That doesn't mean everybody should give up, it just means that the odds are stacked against most applicants. The applicant to hiring position ratio is extremely out of balance right now. It's no uncommon to have 150-250 applicants for one available Academy spot. I don't know if it's ever been this bad in the past, but right now it's a matter of luck (opportunity meeting preparedness) to get hired.

As for the T-score ranking I mentioned before, if you have a very high T-score...an agency "might" be willing to settle with slight imperfections in other areas and give you a chance. For example, let's say your T-score is a 68 and you have a misdemeanor DUI conviction 15 years ago. You might get by that bad record simply because of the length of time since it happened, type of misdemeanor, and your high T-score. They'll probably take you over a guy with a spotless background and a much lower 46 T-score. You can't easily teach intelligence, so the person with the 46 is unlikely to somehow rise to the occasion after hiring and be mentally on par with somebody that scored a 68. The guy with the 68 can show remorse and personal growth since that DUI, but the guy with the 46 can't make the agency believe he's highly intelligent and likely to be an academic stud. Make sense?

By the way, no offense to anybody that received a 46 or lower on the PELLETB. I just threw that number out there for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackavar
                  LAPD is talking about the possibility of laying off all the 300+ recruits in their academy if that tells you anything.
                  That's not going to happen. They just hired a class for October.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5611 users online. 355 members and 5256 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X