300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Deigo Sheriffs Department

Hi I was just wondering if some one could shed some light for me. I'm a former Marine with an Honorable discharge and have taken and passed the test for the sheriffs department. I was just wondering how long it takes to get to the next phase of the application. I have a clean backround have never done any drugs and I'm in good physical health. I just want to be able to do something I can enjoy. Also I have another question about how they work with the military. I'm joining the Air Force Reserves and will be done with everything in October will this affect me on trying to be a deputy. I want to do both I missed the military and would love to be a deputy too.
    San Diego Sheriffs:
    Written-08/15/09 Passed
    Orientation-09/09/09 Passed
    Background Interview-9/29/09 On A Waive
    Polygraph-
    LT Interview-
    Written Psych-
    Medical-
    Psych Interview-

FAMS:
    Applied 02/10
    Met Quals 03/10
    Contingent Offer5/10

San Diego Harbor Police
    Applied- 08/10

Well, you spelled "Deigo" wrong, and didn't add an apostrophe on "Sheriffs"...

..so.. you are definately hireable as a deputy sheriff. (or is that sheriff's deputy?)

Seriously, I think you'd be very competitive given your background and training; however, there are NO guarantees as hundreds like you have similar qualifications and are being turned down for various reasons.

Run the race, and see where you place at the tape.
    Godspeed.
    Timelines:

CBPO
    App: 2/12/09
    Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
    Written: 2/20/09
    NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
    TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
    App: 5/5/09
    Geo: San Diego
    Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
    NOR: 7/20/09
    Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
    TO: 10/6/09
    Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
    Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
    Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
    App: 8/17/10
    Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
    TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

All that can be said is get yourself 3 steps ahead of the next guy right now. You have some Good Qualifications no doubt. However, so do a lot of these guys on this very same message board. I was turned down by the department for lack of experience? I did learn a lot about the process and what I need to do to better my chances. You bet I will be working on them to get my foot in the door. Work hard and stay focused on your goal. We will get there.

As for the process, you should be about ready to have orientation. This is where you will put on some nice clothes and fill out the Pre investigation questionnaire. They will go over it with you when you turn it in. If they think you have a chance they will give you a background packet to fill out and assign you a BI. They will also give you a choice to do Detentions and Courts as well as LE. I would recommend trying for both in todays economy. I wish I would have. Anyway, hope this helps some. If you need any info feel free to PM me.

Originally posted by Mathias7 View Post
      Hi I was just wondering if some one could shed some light for me. I'm a former Marine with an Honorable discharge and have taken and passed the test for the sheriffs department. I was just wondering how long it takes to get to the next phase of the application. I have a clean backround have never done any drugs and I'm in good physical health. I just want to be able to do something I can enjoy. Also I have another question about how they work with the military. I'm joining the Air Force Reserves and will be done with everything in October will this affect me on trying to be a deputy. I want to do both I missed the military and would love to be a deputy too.

Comment

We have several deputies who are also in the reserves....many called up to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan. There should be no concerns in that regard.
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Great thank you everyone for your information I got the Orientation letter last night and I will be going on the 29th of this month. I have gotten ahead by doing most of the paperwork for the backround and I have all the things off the checklist. So I hope all this will make it faster to get things done.
          San Diego Sheriffs:
          Written-08/15/09 Passed
          Polygraph-
          LT Interview-
          Written Psych-
          Medical-
          Psych Interview-

FAMS:
          Applied 02/10
          Met Quals 03/10
          Contingent Offer5/10

San Diego Harbor Police
          Applied- 08/10

Comment

Great thank you everyone for your information I got the Orientation letter last night and I will be going on the 29th of this month. I have gotten ahead by doing most of the paperwork for the backround and I have all the things off the checklist. So I hope all this will make it faster to get things done.
            FYI - make a copy of your completed packet before you turn it in...you have to resubmit when you get promoted after training.

sigpic

Comment

Okay thank you Willow. I will do so. Are you a S.D. Sheriff yourself, if you don't mind me asking. Will it be a long and hard process for me to go through with, the only concern I have is about my credit I had some fraud problems, but I got the money back have been fixing my credit since then. Will the credit be a big issue for me.
              San Diego Sheriffs:
              Written-08/15/09 Passed
              Polygraph-
              LT Interview-
              Written Psych-
              Medical-
              Psych Interview-

FAMS:
              Applied 02/10
              Met Quals 03/10
              Contingent Offer5/10

San Diego Harbor Police
              Applied- 08/10

Comment

Will it be a long and hard process for me to go through with, the only concern I have is about my credit I had some fraud problems, but I got the money back have been fixing my credit since then. Will the credit be a big issue for me.
                If it's entirely due to fraud, then no. Otherwise, a big resounding yes.

Comment

Okay thank you Willow. I will do so. Are you a S.D. Sheriff yourself, if you don't mind me asking. Will it be a long and hard process for me to go through with, the only concern I have is about my credit I had some fraud problems, but I got the money back have been fixing my credit since then. Will the credit be a big issue for me.
                  The process for sworn is more in depth as far a background and such. I'm a dispatcher, and from test to hire was about 6 months.

sigpic

Comment

I would recommend if you want to go patrol, only apply for patrol. Chances are, they will try to push towards detentions either way. Just be persistent and tell them you are only interested in patrol.

I only applied for detentions when I started but a lot of guys in my academy were guys going for L.E. who got talked into going into detentions instead.

Once you get in on the detentions side, you will have a harder time switching over to LE side, they don't want to pay to train you twice and hire someone to replace you.

Comment

Is attrition for detentions high? I know the starting pay isn't that good, plus you factor in the cost of living in sd.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3697 users online. 168 members and 3529 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X