300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My traffic sins

What do you guys think about the double yellow line betwent the #1 and the HOV lane? I thinks its stupid and I notice that the state is not doing them on new construction (IE the 22 fwy.) Frankly it's just a lane change and in my opinion no more dangerous than any other lane change. I realize that sometimes the traffic is going much faster on the HOV lane but thats still true even when you have the dashed lines, so its not making that any safer. I think that any time you change lanes you need to see if there is any on coming traffic prior to entering and I am perfectly capable of doing that safely whether there is a line or not.

I cross the line all the time. I recently started to discuss this with a CHP officer, but, as he had just pulled me over for violation of this law, and was clearly not going to cite me, I thought I'd let him win the argument with a thank you. Not exactly on equal footing for a debate when he is in uniform and I am not. But I'd like to hear what other CHP guys have to say about this.

I see it kind of like the left turn on a red arrow. the red arrow is there because the intersection is used to having a lot of traffic and the red arrow helps motorist from grid locking the intersection. But at 0300 hours when I can see the go ahead light is green and there is no oncoming traffic, I usually stop, give it a few seconds to change, then turn against the red arrow. I know you can show me thousands of fatality accidents, when someone did that in front of an oncoming car, but I am not doing it at that time so I dont think thats relevent.

Oh I also blow the heck out of the stupid on ramp lights. I dont have any use for traffic flow controls. Traffic control should be for safety.

So thats it, those are the laws I violate, am I an evil man or just thinking for myself?

By the way, I am not saying I should be allowed to do these things because I am a cop. I dont want to start that whole cite a cop or not thing. I am saying that were I any intelligent licensed driver these violations are OK and I would not cite anyone else for violating them.
    Last edited by Garbage Man; 09-11-2009, 08:12 PM.
    Originally posted by FJDave
    GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
    "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

The HOV lane annoys me to no end when I go home to visit...

I think AZ has it right, the HOV lane is only such between 0600-0900 and 1500-1800 M-F. Any other day and its a normal lane open to all traffic. Solid white line as opposed to the double yellow in CA.

Comment

LOL....good stuff GM....Im sure this is gonna be a long thread

Comment

Wait till SGT CHP sees this thread....he's gonna come out of retirement!! lol
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Smurfette
        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
        Originally posted by DAL
        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I'm with you on those annoying onramp signals. They do nothing. There is no method to the timing on those things. Oh, and if you are a carpool, you don't stop. Why are 2 people considered a carpool anyway? That's not a carpool, that's a date.

Since we're on the discussion of carpools, if a lady is say 9 months pregnant and driving in the carpool lane with no other visible person (just the 9 month old baby in her belly) would you cite her? Does the other person need to be in their own seat? Does the other person have to be able to sign the cite themselves to be considered a person? HMMMMMMM.
          God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

bully

"Since we're on the discussion of carpools, if a lady is say 9 months pregnant and driving in the carpool lane with no other visible person (just the 9 month old baby in her belly) would you cite her? Does the other person need to be in their own seat? Does the other person have to be able to sign the cite themselves to be considered a person? HMMMMMMM."

Sorry as a motor I really believe in the double yellow lines, especially when I'm splitting traffic. When the HOV lane speeds are 15-20 mph and the general flo lanes are stop n go, and I'm splitting traffic, I really rely on motorist to follow the rules. As far as the pregnant woman thing, that has gone all the way to the state supreme court back in the early 90's and the citation was upheld. As a matter of fact I was in traffic court on 09-04-09, and a women used that defense, guilty of course.

Don't get me started on " it's OK to break traffic laws, as long as nobody is around". How many CHP 555's have you written where the P-1 said "I looked and did not see any cars coming". P-1 then want's to say "that car must have been speeding".

We have traffic laws for a reason, public safety. Does traffic enforcement generate money for the state, why yes it does. Is the purpose of our traffic laws to generate money, NO.

Unfortunately if we did not have a punitive based enforcement of traffic laws, how many motorist do you think would comply with the traffic laws?

I like the "I don't see the purpose of this law, so I don't need to follow it" attitude. I luv stopping those motorist, it makes me feel "warm n tingle" inside. It's even better when they take me to traffic court and lose.

Should I stop an off duty leo and I felt he had that attitude a cite would surely follow. I've stopped only a hand full of off duty leo's and ff's in my time and each and every time I felt it was an honest mistake and gave them a warning, such as would any other motorist.

Comment

Originally posted by Bully View Post
              I'm with you on those annoying onramp signals. They do nothing. There is no method to the timing on those things. Oh, and if you are a carpool, you don't stop.
              I think the carpool lanes at onramps may be gradually disappearing. They are gone from two onramps I use occasionally.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Sorry as a motor I really believe in the double yellow lines, especially when I'm splitting traffic. When the HOV lane speeds are 15-20 mph and the general flo lanes are stop n go, and I'm splitting traffic, I really rely on motorist to follow the rules.

As a motor you rely on people obeying the laws? Bad call. You should know the yellow line is being done away with for the same reason they got rid of uncontrolled cross walks in the middle of a highway...it gives people like you a false sense of security. Drive defensively, stay safe.

Don't get me started on " it's OK to break traffic laws, as long as nobody is around". How many CHP 555's have you written where the P-1 said "I looked and did not see any cars coming". P-1 then want's to say "that car must have been speeding".

I would like to get you started because I think this is an illogical way of thinking that many of my fellow officers use all the time to justify otherwise CS citations.

If a person says I looked and there wasnt anyone there and they dont hit anything guess what? They are telling the truth. When they do hit something, then they are lying. A person lies about doing something so therefore we cant allow anybody to use common sense? How about I looked at the light and it was green? So now we all stop at green lights?

We have traffic laws for a reason, public safety. Does traffic enforcement generate money for the state, why yes it does. Is the purpose of our traffic laws to generate money, NO.

If safety were our primary goal why not simply have better testing? Why not only gives drivers licenses to people who know how to drive? Because that would greatly reduce the amount of people paying renewel fees to the state.

Let me concede that traffic enforcement started out as life saving, but all a politcian cares about is finding ways to get more money so he can buy votes back and stay in office. When safety solutions came up the politicians side on the idea that got us more $$$ everytime rather than the most effecient safety system.

Why not post traffic cams everywhere that cite all the speeders all the time? Why not let the CHP use UC cars for speeders. We would all be so paranoid no one would speed. Oh wait we loose money. Lets make laws that everyone will break, handcuff law enforcment just enough that people will get away with it 9 times out of 10 so they will still break the law and we can catch them just enough to keep money flowing.

Unfortunately if we did not have a punitive based enforcement of traffic laws, how many motorist do you think would comply with the traffic laws?

Here is a simple system. All signs are merely recommendations for your safety. If you dont cause an accident, who cares? But if you do cause an accident you dont get to drive a car anymore. If you cause an accident and someone gets killed or seriously hurt you go to prison. Couple that with more extensive drivers training, much like the CC Rider course for Motorcycles. and you will save lives without making a million stupid ticky tac laws that make otherwise honest motorists feel like a criminal.

Its about giving the law integrity. For example the CHP by policy does not cite for the PCF. So we have this whole system of traffic enforcement, for our safety, because if you dont obey these laws, in theory, you "might" cause an accident. But when you actually do cause an accident we dont even issue you the same ticket? I run a stop sign when no one is around, I get a ticket, I run a stop sign and cause an accident, no ticket? How does that make any sense?

I like the "I don't see the purpose of this law, so I don't need to follow it" attitude. I luv stopping those motorist, it makes me feel "warm n tingle" inside. It's even better when they take me to traffic court and lose.

Sounds like you take a person who is thinking about the laws of our society too personally. People are allowed to have an opinion about the law, they are the ones who elected the officials who wrote the laws. We dont make the laws, we enforce them. Dont take it so personally, I have said to people "Yes sir, I agree, its a stupid law, you guys should not have made it. Sign here." And of course people lose in court when they try to use the "stupid law," argument, because the validity of the law is not a legal excuse for breaking it. If I got stopped for any of the laws I break everyday and got a ticket, I would not even bother trying to use the "Its a silly law" defense because I know that wont work. I would just pay the fine.

Should I stop an off duty leo and I felt he had that attitude a cite would surely follow. I've stopped only a hand full of off duty leo's and ff's in my time and each and every time I felt it was an honest mistake and gave them a warning, such as would any other motorist

No NO No this is not a thread about that, get off the plane with that talk before I call the Air Marshall, there is like a hundred threads that are 100 pages long about that rant.
                Last edited by Garbage Man; 09-12-2009, 12:28 AM.
                Originally posted by FJDave
                GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

I had to do a code 3 run to the bathroom tonight (#1...) in my pov, 22349(a) was broken, but not anywhere near 22348(b).

Comment

Originally posted by 2wheeldep View Post
                    Sorry as a motor I really believe in the double yellow lines, especially when I'm splitting traffic. When the HOV lane speeds are 15-20 mph and the general flo lanes are stop n go, and I'm splitting traffic, I really rely on motorist to follow the rules.

So you are telling me (a motorcyclist with 30 years experiance) that when you split the HOV lane you never touch the yellow lines? Last Chippie I followed rode in the middle of the double yellows. Last LAPD motor I followed did the same thing. If you don't do that here and there, you end up behind the mandatory box truck with the 12500 driving it. So do you strickly adhere to the proper lane split and just "share" the lane or do you cross in/over/across the yellows while splitting?

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
                      I recently started to discuss this with a CHP officer, but, as he had just pulled me over for violation of this law, and was clearly not going to cite me, I thought I'd let him win the argument with a thank you.

I have no desire to go the path snowseed or snowpea or whatever his name is - So with due respect - The above quote seems a bit disingenuous. You were more than willing to keep your lips buttoned to avoid a citation, but now you're sort of ranting on 2Wheeldep. It sounds to me like you should run for an office and change the laws, rather than justify the reasons you break them. Can you dig it?

I read a study once that traffic is actually math. X number of lane changes, Y number of cars breaking, and Z number of cars merging = traffic. So, in theory, (or at least one theory) those pesky on-ramp lights do have a purpose.

am I an evil man or just thinking for myself?
                      Clearly you are not evil, but it's interesting that in the context of your post you're actually describing a form of anarchy, where each individual has absolute liberty (without the implication of disorder). Yours is an interesting line of thought, traffic laws aside, and opens all kinds of doors - Mainly because you're in a position of authority. Not unlike that Gavin Newsom guy who disregarded Federal Law for this bubble LaLa Land of a city. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Comment

So thats it, those are the laws I violate, am I an evil man or just thinking for myself?

By the way, I am not saying I should be allowed to do these things because I am a cop. I dont want to start that whole cite a cop or not thing. I am saying that were I any intelligent licensed driver these violations are OK and I would not cite anyone else for violating them.
                        Your right up there with Richard Ramirez (the "Night Stalker"). A surveillance team is forming right now and the air unit is fueling up.

Seriously I don't have a problem with you, as long as you don't blow a gasket if/when some CHP stops you and decides he's going to use his discretion by writing you a cite, because eventually that's a strong possibility. You probably have a good idea about how heavy the fines and penalty assessments are these days. You're only as "bad" as the courts and your insurance company deem you to be.

I always told people I cited that I didn't consider them evil or dishonest (for violating traffic laws), just "violators."
                        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

The controls used for carpool lanes, freeway access lanes, HOV lanes, speeder lanes - whatever you want to call them - are placed there by the Department of Transportation (CalTRANS in CA) and not by the CHP. The CHP is merely a tool to make certain that 90+% of the motorists comply so traffic will run smoothly.

If one is prone to take the controls lightly and do as they wish because they do not like how the controls are applied, whether a LEO or a civilian, then they do so at their own risk and should not expect treatment by a CHP officer, or any other peace officer, to be any less appropriate for the violation.

You as an individual are free to do as you chose. Don't presume to profess openly that how the CHP does their job is somehow less professional because they utilize the tools they have available. Each CHP officer has the authority to take action for any observed violation of law. The action they opt to use is their decision and should be respected.

If any off duty peace officer opts to violate the law, traffic, criminal or civil, they should be professional enough to accept and admit their err.

What is intended in this is I expect all peace officers to be professional and to set an example for others to follow. The options to violate the law are mute for off duty peace officers. Why? Simply because they know better.

The HOV lanes serve a purpose. In the 70s, they were open to all traffic after commuter hours; but, higher authority has deemed that practice to be an encumbrance and have retracted the multi-use of the lanes.

I don't particularly care for some parking restrictions in recreational areas or airports, bus stations, etc. But, I am not going to take a chance at losing my car and having to pay a ridiculously high towing and storage fee because it is an inconvenience for me to have to walk a little further.

Bottom line: If you don't like the restrictions, laws, traffic controls, etc., use the methods available to you to get them changed, altered, modified or eliminated. If you make the decision to overlook any controls then it is on your shoulders, not mine or any other officer - CHP, Sheriff, Police Officer, etc. Do what is right and you do not have to be placed in an ackward situation!
                          Last edited by SgtCHP; 09-12-2009, 08:42 AM.
                          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

GM your the reason I don't give warnings , your the cop who will give warnings to the few motorist you stop for a traffic violation. What I'm saying is; for every one traffic cop that writes a ticket there are 10 patrol cops who will just give a warning. So it's a perfect balance.

Do I take any violation I see personally? Nope, not at all. I just really like writing traffic tickets, it's the easiest report you will ever write lol.

Do I x the double yellows on my motor? Come on now, we all know traffic enforcement is "do as I say, not as I do" Do I do it in my POV? Nope.

I don't see metering lights coming to an end any time soon, considering they just put a set in on a 30+ year old on ramp next to my house. They also installed them on the con-rd from the SR-118/I-210. By the time those metering lights are ever needed, I hope I'm retired and moved out of this traffic nightmare area.

P.S. GM you sound like all the other "anti gov" or should I say "anti traffic laws" motorist that comes to O.com and cry about the traffic laws lol.
                            Last edited by 2wheeldep; 09-12-2009, 10:12 AM. Reason: xxxxxxx

Comment

I love the HOV lanes up there. It really bugs me when I've set my cruise control and some yabbo in the #1 lane decides traffic isn't moving fast enough and they cut into the HOV lane to pass.

It's not like there aren't plenty of openings for goodness sakes...almost one per mile!

Maybe you should come down here sometime and try ours....we have one big one you have to pay for, it's got barriers so there is no in and out action.

The few free ones are narrow and solid lines beginning to end.
                              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6231 users online. 335 members and 5896 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X