300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Commonly Used Vehicle and Penal Codes in the Academy

Hey guys. So I've heard that while in the academy, Tac officers will usually get in your face and ask you to recite a certain penal/vehicle code. If you get it wrong, or if you don't know it, you'll either have to do push ups or write a one page memo about the code for homework.

So for people who have been through an academy, what are some vehicle/penal codes that you should memorize before coming into an academy. Is there a list out there of the most commonly used vehicle/penal codes? Any other random things we should have memorized? I heard at Rio Hondo you need to be able to recite the Peace Officer's Code of Ehtics word for word. Thanks!

It depends on the academy. Usually any penal codes that they ask will be directly from the recent LDs, unless you have required memory items that include PCs and CVs. Your academy should tell you what you need to have memorized.

Comment

I think just about any academy will make you memorize the Peace Officer's Code of Ethics. At least they should.

Anyhow, memorize 15 PC word for word. A complete list of other ones to memorize would be too tedious for me to type out, but there are lists if you ask recent academy graduates
      Last edited by JH164; 09-07-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

The academy will teach you everything you will be tested on. Don't worry about memorization and all that until you are actually there.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
          The academy will teach you everything you will be tested on. Don't worry about memorization and all that until you are actually there.
          I completely disagree. Definitely start learning your code of ethics. Learn your most common penal codes like 187,211,261,459,488,594.. Learn 10-codes (although this depends on what academy you are going to).. Learn 9-codes..

Prior to beginning the academy, they should give you a packet that will state specifically what you are required to learn

Comment

If you're going to be a *deputy* you don't need to bother learning anything other than 24601 VC. Officers are generally tasked with knowing more of the VC than that tho

Don't bother with radio codes, I have no idea 9-codes even existed.

Comment

Rio Hondo, none

"Sir! I do not know. I will research the answer and get back to you, Sir!"

That's all you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Socal-Cop View Post
                I completely disagree. Definitely start learning your code of ethics. Learn your most common penal codes like 187,211,261,459,488,594.. Learn 10-codes (although this depends on what academy you are going to).. Learn 9-codes..

Prior to beginning the academy, they should give you a packet that will state specifically what you are required to learn
                How about 415? Seems like I went on 10 different 415 calls during my ridealong...
                ...but it was hot in the daytime and a full moon at night.

Comment

Unless things have changed since I went through the academy (Rio Hondo, class 131), you do not need to study anY codes.

What good will it do you to fill your head with a bunch of codes which you may never use. In Rio Hondo we were taught to know your resources and how to use them.

Actually the VC test was open book. You needed to know how to us the VC book in a timely manner because the test was a timed test. If I remember right it was the only timed test we had.

The staff will have a syllabus for you and will break down what you are expected to know in order to pass the academy.
                  Last edited by 2wheeldep; 09-09-2009, 09:43 PM. Reason: xxxxxxx

Comment

Penal codes and vehicle codes were the least important things to remember in the academy. If you go through Orange County Sheriffs, you should be more worried about getting in and out of the tac office within 30 seconds while stating your business. If you go through Rio Hondo, you should worry more about getting up Nike Hill. What most of us are trying to say is....just show up to Day Zero and expect the unexpected.

Comment

At SBSD they will ask a question, if you dont know the answer you get a memo. After the memo you know the answer. If a memo is a problem stop now because paperwork is 97% of what we do. The academy is set up to teach you what you need to know. When you are in the academy you will get LD's read the LD and learn the info, you have bigger problems to worry about in the academy then what pc 596.5 is.

Comment

^ Well ok...you gotta know the academy orientation handbook literally verbatim. From the number of lines on page 1 to what page the peelian reform is located.

Comment

If you attend GWC, you better know your codes because its tested every day until the last day.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys! Just for clarification, I know there are much more important things to worry about in the academy (like the physical aspect and the Learning Domains). I asked about pc's and vc's because I figure it wouldn't hurt to know a few of them so you won't be caught off guard when a Tac officer ask what pc 596.5 is. I know you'll have to do a memo if you don't know the answer and doing memo's are probably in the end good for you. However, it's probably much better to look squared away and prepared than it is to spend extra time writing memo's!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4979 users online. 279 members and 4700 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X