• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bully
    replied
    Originally posted by DCH View Post
    Bully,

Just curious, I have both a current regular and a subdued LASPD shoulder patch in my collection, was there a difference between an SRT version vs. a SWAT version of the subdued patch?
    Which regular patch do you have? Prior to AB Kerstein becoming chief, the patch was black with gold lettering. When ABK showed up, he changed it to black with silver lettering. The SRT/SWAT patch was black with dark grey lettering. If you're sure you have the dark grey lettering, it should be the SRT/SWAT patch. PM me for more info.

Leave a comment:

• DCH
    replied
    Bully,

Just curious, I have both a current regular and a subdued LASPD shoulder patch in my collection, was there a difference between an SRT version vs. a SWAT version of the subdued patch?

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    FWIW: I personally had the pleasure of meeting ex-school board member Caprice Young in the line of duty, while investigating a violent crime. She was still a member of the board at the time and was extremely helpful during the investigation, cooperative and without "airs." She does appreciate professional law enforcement and (although quoted only briefly in the article) recognizes the difficulties by cops in an academic environment as well as general LE.

Ms Young left the school board because she had a rough time fighting the "status quo" trying to improve the district. Anyone attempting to deal with the problems at that police department is going to run up against the same difficulties. While they have more than their fair share of "problem children", those cops trying to do a decent job (for lousy pay) have my respect. Whether or not the board will ever hire decent police management remains to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• Bully
    replied
    Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
    Met the Union Pres.( sure It was him- he's an FTO) at LAPD's Park Center Jail facility.The LASPD officers were booking a number of "kids".
    Nope wasn't him. He hasn't seen the inside of a patrol car in about 6 yrs. He's off full time on release time. He has basically become a politician that's in it for himself now. He will soon be promoted to Sgt and become a company man. I hope it doesn't happen that way, but it normally does.

Leave a comment:

• DOAcop38
    replied
    Originally posted by FJDave View Post
    True dat. I read the article this morning when I had a chance....wow, that is one shoddy piece of self-serving crap. There is so much wrong with it that it is overall a POS.
    Yup, Sarge, but the damage is done- only thing now is to deal with the backwash( and you can BET the LAUSD School board will come down on the officers becuase of the article) former LASPD Chief Wesley Mitchell was a POS. He even applied for LAXPD's top spot( rejected thankfullly) before going over to the tiny 35 officer Inglewood School PD and messing that organization up( Now run basically by Inglewood PD) Only thing LASPD rank and file can do is just as Sgt Keith M said- "survive it all "...

Leave a comment:

• DOAcop38
    replied
    Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Willie Williams came through the ranks of Philly PD and was the commissioner before going to LA
    "big Willie from Philly" was actually a Park Police officer, with vague police experience, before getting grandfathered into Philly PD. He was a mediocre LAPD chief ,who was more of an "appeasement" leader, and a puppet of the Feudal lords known as the L.A. City Council

Leave a comment:

• DOAcop38
    replied
    Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
    One problem is you have your own reps being quoted as basically agreeing with the premise of the article.

As for bashing the whole agency because of one rogue cop, we had our share and fired them promptly.

To me it just sounds like all you guys need is a good Chief who understands how to organize and manage. But since the hiring body of the board of Sups for the district, they would not know a good Chief from Goofy. In the end the Achilles heal of all specialized agencies is that they are run by civs who just don't get it. The difference between a board of sup and a normal city council is a city council comes from a variety of backgrounds, many are former cops, while the board of sup for a school district are all going to be educators.
    Met the Union Pres.( sure It was him- he's an FTO) at LAPD's Park Center Jail facility.The LASPD officers were booking a number of "kids"( from 14- 17) ALL were felonies- with two 14 yr olds who had 422'd a teacher and several students- LASPD picked them up as they returned to school with a loaded .25auto. alot of the disgruntled "psuedo" agreement found in the article is frustration that simple needs aren't addressed- lack of man power, lower pay( LASPD, at $50K to $68K/yr are some of the lowest paid in southern Calif.), and being mettled with by fickle civie administrators STUCK on the idea that the "little monsters" they poorly teach shouldn't be interefered with-some of the teachers are down right hostile toward any symbol of authority other than themselves, as well as they "notion" that school Pd officers are "paid more" than the teachers(also NOT true)

you are right- far too often , people who have NO clue about policing, especially in "specialized" or District PDs, are often the very same ones who make decisions on how they should be run( like my own agency, we have civilians who think we are simply "guards" and are often SHCOKED to realize that we have "police authority").If there is a weakness in the leadership of LASPD, it is the board of LAUSD that has caused it.
    Last edited by DOAcop38; 09-08-2009, 01:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stevesbro1013
    replied
    Why

WHY are they not conducting an Internal Affairs investigation on the _ssholes who spoke to this jerk about the department? Shame on you (Most of us have a good clue of who it was and you will be exposed)!!!!

The officers of the LA School Police Department don't deserve this kind of kick in the gut. From day one I've been treated with respect and felt like a part of a family.

I hope that who ever was responsible in giving this _ick head info (lies) on the dept, I hope he or she gets what they soooooo truly deserve!!!!!!

We as Police Officers go out and try to do the best job we possibly can, we are the ones the citizens hate but yet need and call for when the going gets tough.

Sure there are some bad seeds and those people need to be exposed and gotten rid of, but the officers in the LASPD (most of them) are truly dedicated to their job!!

I truly like this dept, and from where I came from, know a good dept when I see one. I really hope that we can make it through these hard times and continue to be the type of dept I knew it to be when I joined.

POLITICS HAS NO PLACE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bully
    replied
    Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Willie Williams came through the ranks of Philly PD and was the commissioner before going to LA
    He may have went through Philly's ranks, but he couldn't pass the CA POST test to be a cop. The LAPD had to issue him a CCW so he could actually carry. The only other official CCW LAPD has ever issued was to Jack Webb.

I think part of King's problem is that fact that he's rich. The rich think they can get away with anything. He was even offering to buy that detective (that dresses like a pimp) Starbucks when he got his acquittal. That never happened.

I was just wondering, everybody keeps talking about the LASPD as being a small dept. They're the 5th largest in the county. They were the 4th until LACOPS passed them up. But anyway, I'm not there anymore and it looks like there's some rough sailing ahead for them.

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    While I'm not familiar with any of the players, I am familiar with policing within the "educational community" and
    "regular, municipal law enforcement." While LAUSDPD personnel might want to be like the later, the management of any learning establishment lives by different rules and establishes different standards. It's a very tough situation for cops, supervisors and police managers. There are people who shouldn't be wearing a uniform (that are), people that have no business supervising (that are), and people that are setting policy (that shouldn't be).

It certainly sounds like the officer (who was convicted of the serious felony sex offenses) should never have been hired in the first place. Why was he, and who made the decision to place him in his position of authority? Why was the IA investigation allowed to take so long, when it involved such serious allegations?

"Places of learning" (like religious institutions) are notorious for hiding their dirty laundry rather than cleaning it. To them, it's all about presenting an image to their customers. If situations like those described are to be prevented in the future, a strong police management system must be in place to insure professional standards are established to insure hiring qualified personnel, supervise them, and (when necessary) remove those who aren't qualified as soon as possible. LAUSD in part because of it's overall size, and also due to it's culture hasn't been able to accomplish any of these objectives outside of it's relatively small police department. How can the organization be expected to do so here?

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Look at LAPD, they hired Willie Williams as chief and he wasn't even a cop.

Leave a comment:

• QRF
    replied
    Originally posted by Bully View Post
    Now about Ian King. I'm not a huge fan of that egotistic adam henry either. There's a lot more to the story than the public knows. There was a lot of stuff that the judge wouldn't let in court. He was set up for failure in that trial. He's trying to get either a new trial or a reduced sentence. Think about it, a cop recently got 5 yrs for forcing oral cop at gun point. King got 20 yrs for stink finger. There wasn't even any DNA transfer. The so called witness lied on the stand and the judge allowed it. She claimed she doesn't remember ever being arrested. She was on parole.

Basically, the LASPD has a lot of potential. They just need the right leadership.

Anyway, this is long enough.
    I went on to read the full article and now realize that this is the same Ian King who was an unpaid intern at LAPD in the early 90's. Even when he was a volunteer, he was an egostistical know it all. Everyone who worked with him in my office thought he was an egotistical wannabe. He was always tyring to rub shoulders with people whom he had no business even dealing with, but he would always somehow manage to weasel his way into their offices. I am sure when he was caught by Long Beach, he had mine along with the business cards of half the command staff on the 6th floor.

Yes, I knew this guy, but I lost touch with him after his arrest by Long Beach. He called me at my office once saying that it was all just a big misunderstanding and that it would all be behind him very soon. It did not surprise me in the least that he was never hired by LAPD. I could see it then. I had no idea he was eventually hired by LA School PD.

Leave a comment:

• Bully
    replied
    Ok, I can chime in on this subject. Most of you know I used to work there for many years, so here it goes.

Alan Kerstein was the best thing to happen to that dept. For years, guys were disgusted with the blue and white paint scheme on the units. He changed it. Guys didn't like the black and gold patches. He changed them. Guys were complaining that Wesley Mitchell wouldn't let us be cops. ABK changed that. Guys were complaining about vindictive supervisors. ABK put the sgts in check and stopped all those old witch hunts.

Traffic is the biggest complaint around schools. He formed a motor unit. We constantly did bldg searches for 459's and needed K9's. He got them. He did not start a SWAT team. The team was originally called SRT. It was formed by Wesley Mitchell in order for him to show he had special teams and could try to be chief somewhere else. ABK just changed the name to SWAT.

Cortines did not squash the SWAT team. That was Steve LaRoche. He was an old Metro Lt and a prior SWAT sniper. One of his SWAT buddies complained about us having a SWAT team. D Platoon wants to be the only SWAT team in the city. LaRoche squashed the team to make his friend happy.

I'm not a big fan of D.C. Tim Anderson however, you don't need detective school under your belt to be a D.C. that has IA under you. Look at LAPD, they hired Willie Williams as chief and he wasn't even a cop.

They quoted Sgt Quezada. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. He was the union president turned company man. And he's as dumb as a box of rocks.

The union has lost its direction. They went from being cops protecting cops, to politicians.

There is a lot of empire building there.

Now about Ian King. I'm not a huge fan of that egotistic adam henry either. There's a lot more to the story than the public knows. There was a lot of stuff that the judge wouldn't let in court. He was set up for failure in that trial. He's trying to get either a new trial or a reduced sentence. Think about it, a cop recently got 5 yrs for forcing oral cop at gun point. King got 20 yrs for stink finger. There wasn't even any DNA transfer. The so called witness lied on the stand and the judge allowed it. She claimed she doesn't remember ever being arrested. She was on parole.

Basically, the LASPD has a lot of potential. They just need the right leadership.

Anyway, this is long enough.

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    One problem is you have your own reps being quoted as basically agreeing with the premise of the article.

As for bashing the whole agency because of one rogue cop, we had our share and fired them promptly.

To me it just sounds like all you guys need is a good Chief who understands how to organize and manage. But since the hiring body of the board of Sups for the district, they would not know a good Chief from Goofy. In the end the Achilles heal of all specialized agencies is that they are run by civs who just don't get it. The difference between a board of sup and a normal city council is a city council comes from a variety of backgrounds, many are former cops, while the board of sup for a school district are all going to be educators.

Leave a comment:

• QRF
    replied
    Is this the same Ian King who once worked as an intern for LAPD while desperately trying to get hired, but in the end was DQ'd by LAPD? The same Ian King whose father was a well known Los Angeles area attorney? That same Ian King?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3201 users online. 181 members and 3020 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X